WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Triple Crown

Default Triple Crown

Myself and 2 friends are heading to do the Triple Crown hike in September. I'm curious on opinions. Do the loop that includes the North Mountain Trail (I think that's what it's called) or just do a point to point on the AT? I know water is an issue on the loop and the potential of hot weather has us a little nervous about that. Thanks for the help!

I would say do the loop that includes North Mountain Trail. It gets much less use than the AT and while it doesn't offer the iconic vistas that the AT portion does it is still an enjoyable hike in its own right. I did this hike last October. I stared at the McAffe Knob parking lot on 311 and hiked the loop counterclockwise. Stayed at Lambert's Meadow the first night and tent camped near the start of the Dragon's Tooth Trail the second night. The only place you really need to be concerned about water is up on the North Mountain ridge. However, there are reliable water sources at each end of the ridge, so you shouldn't have a problem. I spent most of the second day walking along the North Mountain ridge. It was the first day of muzzle loader season. I only saw one person, a hunter, and two bears the whole time I was up there. It was one of the best parts of the hike.

great loop, you'll see everybody on The Knob but no one on north mountain

++ New Posts ++