WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 50 mile backpacking loop trip?

I'm looking to do my first solo backpacking trip. I normally average about 13 miles/day with my fiancee, but we've done up to 18. I like to keep it low mileage for her so I don't make her hate life when a walk in the woods is "supposed" to be calm enjoyable. That being said, I truly love marathon experiences and testing my physical limits. I'd like to find a 50 mile loop where I can do 20 miles the first day, 20 miles the 2nd day and 10 miles the last day. Obviously the mileage doesn't have to be exact. I live in Philadelphia, so within a 7 hour drive would be ideal. Some similar loops we've done are below but I'd like something new. I was thinking about a loop on George Washing national Forest (I believe there's a 70 mile loop, but tough to shorten). I'd love to tie in some time on the AT, but it isn't necessary.

Any other suggestions?

Black Forest Trail in PA - This would have been perfect, but we've already done it.
    Presi Traverse - 4 days - We averaged 1 mph while bouldering from Madison to Washington, obviously couldn't accomplish that distance
    Shenandoah - Multiple 4 day loops
    Smokies - 4 day loop
    Long Trail - 4 day point to point
    WV to North of Harpers Ferry - 4 day point to point on the AT

Images

There are a BUNCH of loops in the Smokies which could be perfect. Check out the trail map https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/upload/GSMNP-Map_JUNE14-complete4-2.pdf
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

I would love to do the Smokies again, but it's a bit far for me for a 3 day trip since I have to leave after work on Thursday. I'd also prefer somewhere where there aren't designated campsites, but beggars can't be choosers and that isn't a requirement.

http://sectionhiker.com/backpacking-...et-wilderness/

combine it with a pemi loop for a longer hike.

Serial Hiker
    Images

Maybe the Devil's Path in the Catskills. It's only 24 miles long, but with pretty brutal vertical gains. A nice feather in anyone's cap.
    The Allegheny Front Trail is a 42 mile long loop. I haven't done it, but it's on my list.
    The Old Logger's Path is 28 miles. Supposed to be real nice.
    Look into Dolly Sods.

perrito

684.4 down, 1507.6 to go.

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

The Smokies seems to be a 10 hour drive for you. Got to admit that's a pretty far distance.

However, if you change your mind and would like to do a 3 or 4 day GSMNP loop, let me know. That's where I do most of my backpacking. I've hiked about 80% of the trails... working towards joining the 900miler club, and I've got some resources for helping me come up with trip plans.

You say you want to do 20 miles per day... but if you do pick GSMNP, you're going to be doing some hills. 20mpd AND hills might be a pretty big challenge.

Allegheny Front Trail
    Chuck Keiper Trail
    Susquehannock Trail - cross connectors make shorter loops possible
    Loyalsock Trail - not a loop but there is a shuttle service available
    Quehanna Trail - cross connectors and other trails make several loops possible
    Pinchot Trail - not a 50 miler of course
    Rothrock State Forest - can make loops using the Mid State Trail, Standing Stone Trail and other trails - see the MST and Purple Lizard maps for this area
    Black Forest - Donut Hole - Susquehannock Trails combination - all close to each other with several connector trails so you can make your own loop

Just within your 7 hr drive limit is http://cranberrylake50.org

Elevation gain doesn't bother me. We hiked the loop below in the Smokies. It was 4,143 vertical from Big Creek Campground to the peak of Mt sterling and I pretty much ran up the entire thing. It was very cool to see the changes in the forest over a gain like that. I could handle elevation and distance all day long. Like I said, I have a weird natural endurance.

I forgot to mention, we're hiking a loop near lake placid over Labor day so I'm going to avoid the Adirondacks. The Pemi loop looks amazing, but that's an 8 hour drive without counting traffic (which will be brutal from NJ->Manhattan->CT. We'll definitely do that some day.

Is there any way to extend Devil's Path?

HooKooDooKu, I'll reach out to you when my fiancee and I get married in Asheville next April!

http://i.imgur.com/xi2axqj.jpg

Iron Mountain Trail and AT north of Damascus, VA. I think the full loop is about 63 miles, but lots of trails connect the two that would allow you to pick the right size loop for your needs.

Some very nice AT/LT sections that are that distance and easy to get back to car:
    1. Vermont - Manchester to Inn at Long trail. Pretty well exactly 50 miles. Moderate terrain. Not easy, but nothing killer
    nice and scenic and there are extremely cheap and pretty direct buses that will get you back to manchester
    2. Waynesborough, VA south to highway 60. Just over 50 miles (or about 48 if you end at the three springs hostel)
    A nice route. A bit harder than route #1. There are numerous shuttles that will get you back to waynesborough for $85-$100

Can give more detail if you ever look at doing either of those

I missed that the ones you listed were ones you've already done, so you may or may not have done that LT section
    the VA section I noted is a pretty good challenge

AT 2012

i'm getting ready to hike devil's path in the Catskills this weekend, and want to make it into a loop hike -- around 50 miles, kind of what you are looking for. part of the trail needs to be hiked twice, but there are built in loops -- around hunter, sugarloaf and indian head mountains, as well as a loop at High Peak Kaaterskill. I made that trail map available on the Maprika app -- search for Devil's Path hiking trail map.
    Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by rjstew234 View Post
    I'm looking to do my first solo backpacking trip . . . I can do 20 miles the first day . . . Obviously the mileage doesn't have to be exact. . . Presi Traverse - 4 days - We averaged 1 mph while bouldering from Madison to Washington, obviously couldn't accomplish that distance . . .
    The Pemi Loop in the Whites of NH is a fantastic hike. Three days is probably about right for a 20 mile per day hiker, as it is about 35 miles of trail that is not quite is rocky, although just as steep and rocky in places, as the Presi Traverse. Probably the most iconic and scenic and considered by many the gem of New Hampshire hiking. If you're really good, you do it in one 18 hr day. Not me. If you are fast and fit, you can also nock off 12 of the NH 4000 footers during the loop, 8 just by hiking the loop, 4 more if you're willing to hike an extra 1/2 mile to mile off the loop trail in a few places.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    i'm getting ready to hike devil's path in the Catskills this weekend, and want to make it into a loop hike -- around 50 miles, kind of what you are looking for. part of the trail needs to be hiked twice, but there are built in loops -- around hunter, sugarloaf and indian head mountains, as well as a loop at High Peak Kaaterskill. I made that trail map available on the Maprika app -- search for Devil's Path hiking trail map.
    Funny you mentioned Indian Head. I just received an email newsletter from The Outbound Collective and it had a link to the article below. Is that the same Indian Head you're referring to? If so, I would love to hike that. Checking this out on Maprika now...

https://www.theoutbound.com/new-york...ler-08-10-2016

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    The Smokies seems to be a 10 hour drive for you. Got to admit that's a pretty far distance.

However, if you change your mind and would like to do a 3 or 4 day GSMNP loop, let me know. That's where I do most of my backpacking. I've hiked about 80% of the trails... working towards joining the 900miler club, and I've got some resources for helping me come up with trip plans.

You say you want to do 20 miles per day... but if you do pick GSMNP, you're going to be doing some hills. 20mpd AND hills might be a pretty big challenge.
    Include the Lakeshore trail in the loop and you can bust out some miles while enjoy amazing fall views accross the lake.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Images

In GA, you can do the Duncan Ridge, Benton McCaye, and Appalachian Trail loop. Park at the Reese Memorial parking lot down from Mountain Crossings. That may be close to your 50 mile goal. I have a report on that I hike I did several years ago, although I extended it up the AT to Dick's Creek Gap to get more miles in.

AT 2012

...there's another indian head in the ADK park...The Catskills are just the little sister.
    Lazarus

First off, thank you to everyone who provided feedback. I’m going to save the info in this thread for future reference. That being said, since the fiancée and I are heading to the Adirondacks over Labor Day for a leisurely 45 miles/4 days, I decided I’m going to go the opposite direction (literally) and completely push my limits. I came across the link below where a father and son hiked the entire 71 mile Massanutten trail in three days. It’s exactly what I want, seclusion, within a 7 hour drive, lots of miles over somewhat consistent trail. A bonus are the vistas and camping near creeks. I also love planning and this will require a ton of planning to ensure I hit the campsites and figure out timing to make sure I arrive before dark. If I average 23 minutes/mile, it’ll be 10 hour days. 25 miles first day, 25 miles second, 21 miles final. Planning on doing it over the 9/24-25 weekend, where there will be 12 hours of daylight, so I’ll have 2 hours to spare! Should be interesting!

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/1529/

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    1azarus: If you're looping the DP, don't forget that there's a second route up Plateau as well. Walk south from Devil's Tombstone to Notch Inn Road following either the highway or the old rail grade. Take Notch Inn Road to the Warner Creek Trail and climb Plateau that way. There are good views on both routes.

If you loop Hunter, maybe take the Becker Hollow trail as well as the Spruceton bridle path. Becker Hollow is the most challenging of the trailed approaches to Hunter's summit. (Devil's Path doesn't quite hit the summit, it crosses in Devil's Acre, the col between Hunter and Leavitt.)

I don't know exactly what you're planning to do to "loop" Kaaterskill High Peak. If you're just planning to circle it on the snowmobile trail, don't bother. It's muddy, all torn up from illegal ATV use, and just pretty wretched in general..

If you're planning to traverse the summit on the Twilight Park Trail, be aware that Hurricane Ledges are very, very steep, and the trail is officially unmarked and unmaintained. (There may be unofficial blazing; the stealth maintainers seem to mark the trail faster than the DEC can remove the markings.) If you want to go this way, I recommend approaching from the south. Follow the instructions at http://catskillmountaineer.com/KM-KHPsouth.html.

It's a lot safer as an in-and-out approach from the north, and still has enough scrambling to be interesting, http://catskillmountaineer.com/KM-KHPnorth.html has the instructions. If you use the north approach, once you've checked out Hurricane Ledge, the east overlook and the upper plane crash, I recommend strongly going back the way you came. I would not want to scramble down Hurricane Ledge without having scrambled up it.. It really is challenging, definitely at least a class 4 and certainly beyond my personal risk tolerance for a solo trip. If you do decide to scramble down Hurricane Ledges, the trail goes off the overlook to the LEFT.

When the trail was officially marked, it was easier, so don't just say, "they were tougher back then." Part of the trail was wiped out in a rock slide associated with the hurricane of 1950, leaving the chute that it now scrambles up.

I've bushwhacked with you. Unless things have improved in the last couple or three years, your orienteering skills are not up to following the old High Peak Trail down to Cortina, so forget about the trail that some maps show heading NW from the KHP summit and circling Round Top at about 3250' elevation. The north side of Round Top is a maze of ledges and most of them peter out, and the trail on the spur of KHP is pretty grown in. The nettles and blackberries there will be hell this time of year. It's the route that I used to get up KHP, but I did it in early spring. If I recall correctly, it was early enough in the year that I had to put on microspikes for the trip down the Twilight Park Trail to the north.

I suspect that you won't get that far. Even for a speed demon like you, a yo-yo of the Devil's Path is already ambitious for a long weekend. At least you're not talking this time about doing it in winter! (It's doable, but definitely means ice axe and crampons, and in bad ice conditions you need to rope up for the west side of Sugarloaf. But I think you learnt that lesson on your Escarpment Trail attempt a couple or three winters ago.)

rjstew234 - A yo-yo of the Devil's Path is 51 miles and 18,000 feet of elevation gain. Are you sure that you're asking to extend it? Another possibility for a sort-of-loop of about the length you're looking for is a "dog bone" hike of the Escarpment Trail. Start at the southern terminus on Schutt Road and hike it as far as Elm Ridge. Rather than going down to Route 23, turn left and come out in Maplecrest. Road walk the three miles to the Barnum Road trailhead and take the Black Dome Range and Blackhead Mountain trails as far as the summit of Blackhead. Take the Escarpment Trail back as far as the junction below North Point, and walk out on the Mary's Glen and Rock Shelter trails back to your car. (I've hiked through the Escarpment Trail, and I've done both the loops, but I've never put all three together in one hike.) If you don't like the idea of a 3-mile road walk, do it from the north end and stash a bicycle at one or the other trailhead.
    Last edited by Another Kevin; 08-11-2016 at 18:45.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++