Thread: PCT Start Date

Default PCT Start Date

Having finished the AT I am now thinking of hiking the PCT. I want to hike next year (2017) but my Granddaughter Graduates from HS on May 18th, which I will not miss. From what I have read most starts are end April and 1st of May. What are the thought of starting around May 21 or 22 heading NOBO?

Thanks for Input
    Scorch...

Images

I started May 21st, 2011 and it worked out great. Why?
    1) I did a fast hike, 98 days and I arrived on trail ready to crank out big miles immediately.
    2) it was a huge snow year and even with the late start I has snow nearly everyday on the last 2000 miles. An earlier start probably wouldn't have resulted in an earlier finish, just more snow.
    3) I was very familiar with hiking solo. There will be few finishers starting in late May. There will be some stragglers and larger groups as you move through the pack.

doing a fast schedule allowed me to hit KM on June 14th which used to be a pretty average Sierra entry. So i didn't spend that much time in SoCal and the heat in late May and early June was managable. I would recommend this start date unless you were looking to average upper 20s or more. The nice thing about this late start date is that it takes away the uncertainty of snow impacting your schedule.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Should be pretty good depending on your hiking speed, I'm starting Nobo April 10th

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

One more thing. If you can't do the miles then look to take a few days off around Aqua Dulce. It should be straight forward to get to an airport from there or frankly several other places.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Any thoughts of flip flopping it?

I am thinking about a PCT hike next year, but I might not be able to get out in April. I might start in late May, and pick a starting place based on what the snow levels look like. Then, after reaching Canada I can go back down to the Mexican border and finish up.

How come I never hear of anyone doing this? Seems like I can avoid the heat of the desert that way.

Quote Originally Posted by StealthHikerBoy View Post
    Any thoughts of flip flopping it?

I am thinking about a PCT hike next year, but I might not be able to get out in April. I might start in late May, and pick a starting place based on what the snow levels look like. Then, after reaching Canada I can go back down to the Mexican border and finish up.

How come I never hear of anyone doing this? Seems like I can avoid the heat of the desert that way.
    No idea on avoiding the heat, but you for sure would avoid the April permit - start date hassle. That's worth doing.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Malto

Thanks for the input, I was thinking of the same approach you suggest. I was going to attempt to hike 20/25 MPD as I could do o the AT. So maybe I can "catch up" to the groups and hike at a more relaxing pace after KM.

++ New Posts ++