WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default New tent & sleep system in one

Interesting system via KickStatrter...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-hybr?ref=city
    “If there’s one thing the AT teaches, it is low-level ecstasy—something we could all do with more of in our lives.”

Images

Interesting concept.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jbwood5 View Post
    Interesting concept.
    but really heavy. 7 pounds, yikes?

7lbs for a tent/hammock/mat and sleeping bag for $250 is not bad for a casual user or someone testing the waters.
    However for anyone that has already had experience and some gear, what is the chance that all 3 main bits will work for them ?
    Anyway, the target was achieved so it should go ahead.

Journal Entries
    Images

I can't believe how many design flaws I saw. Let's start with this question: How do you seam seal a zipper?

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    7lbs for a tent/hammock/mat and sleeping bag for $250 is not bad for a casual user or someone testing the waters.
    However for anyone that has already had experience and some gear, what is the chance that all 3 main bits will work for them ?
    Anyway, the target was achieved so it should go ahead.
    My first impression was that 7 lbs was super heavy for a backpacking tent, but when I saw that it was for the tent, mattress, AND sleeping bag, I tried to come up with another reason why it's not good enough. Hmm. Perhaps they have found a niche in the market to fill.

My summer shelter/sleep system weighs 2.9 lbs total and I'm not a hammocker, so this isn't my niche. However, there probably is a market 'out there' for this and kudos to them for going for it.

yeah, the market is for people that just want something that looks cool and different.
    7 lbs is way too heavy unless you're getting winter gear.

I liked this one better. 2.6 lbs and some extra functionality
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...rs/description

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    My first impression was that 7 lbs was super heavy for a backpacking tent, but when I saw that it was for the tent, mattress, AND sleeping bag, I tried to come up with another reason why it's not good enough. Hmm. Perhaps they have found a niche in the market to fill.
    Even a modest, inexpensive system can be had that's about 5 pounds (tarp tent at 2.5, mattress at a pound, 32 deg bag at 1.5, total = 5 pounds). As cmoulder says, a UL system can be less than 3, but of course pricier (mine is 3# 5oz, and pretty expensive).

I don't hammock, perhaps 7lb ain't that bad for that system? Still seems high.

Journal Entries

Bulky too.
    Gimmick for people that like gimmicks, but don't use them
    Which is most of American public
    If it looks cool, they buy it

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    you can check out Clark hammocks too.
    humor is the gadfly on the corpse of tragedy

While the weight or bulk of it is important, the function of it is what I'd be more concerned with.
    I wouldn't buy something like that without plenty of testimonials of how well it kept dry inside. Call me cynical.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    I can't believe how many design flaws I saw. Let's start with this question: How do you seam seal a zipper?
    http://www.zpacks.com/materials.shtml

Zpacks sells waterproof zippers- not unrealistic to assume they used them- but perhaps not likely at that pricepoint.

But otherwise- only glaring flaw-
    Using a pad in a hammock always leads to a bit of pad condensation- using a pad in what I assume to be a WP non-breathable shell- would be a bedwetting experience.

Yar- a one man pole bivy at about 2lbs, a thermarest at 1lb, and a summer bag at a 1lb would put you under 7lbs, but not for that price. Each of those run $150-300.

Probably better than what you'd pick up at wally world or a sporting goods store though.
    Definetly comparable to the clark system mentioned- http://www.junglehammock.com/product...mping_hammock/ and again- that would still require one buy a pad and sleeping bag.

It's selling to it's intended audience... and if folks get out- who am I to judge?

Though the razor point robin's egg blue nails, designer skinny jeans and converse all stars are a nice Euro-hipster look

Jeez, you know those models were cringing at being in contact with nature. All that dirt and bugs...

how would that system work in a snowstorm?

"how would that system work in a snowstorm?"
    As I alluded to in my first comment, I see something like this as an appealing gimmick not a product that the sort of folk that frequent forums and or have any experience with the outdoors would buy.
    A bit like many of the kitchen do it all cookers, you never see a chef using one of them but they do sound great to the bored person at home.
    look :you can roast/steam/broil/defrost/slow cook a moose inside one of this and all for $29.95 (per month for the next decade...) !!! bonus :kitchen knives valued at $299.95 but wait : for the first 3 million callers...

Not interested in a shelter that I can't comfortably sit upright inside....especially at that weight. Plus, I don't hike solo with shelters that use proprietary poles or two hiking poles.

Company s have been sealing zippers on dry suits for years. that will be an easy hurdle for them, price and weight not so easy.

Images

7 lbs is not out the ordinary with the weight that many have here for a total sleep system. But this is a very Spartan shelter more akin to a bivy. This weight more than twice as much as my sleep system even when using an xtherm. I seriously doubt there r value of the mat comes close to the xtherm, you can sit in the shelter and without any technical specs there are probably other compromises.

back to the weight. I have about $500 in my total system which is about $100 more than retail or $250 more than the funding. I would gladly pay $100 to shed each of the three extra pounds of weight so now the "low" price doesn't seem so low. Finally, I suspect to true retail will be higher than the $400 target listed on the site. There is a lot of material and labor in that system.

my signature line is very relevant.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

The long freshly-painted nails on the girl in the "backcountry" in the video told me everything I need to know.

++ New Posts ++