WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Flipping to Maine, question about mileage and terrain.

Headed to Katadhin to start SOBO. Looks like after coming off Katadhin there's nowhere to resupply until after 100 mile wilderness. Am I missing any towns/supply points?

Terrain looks super easy in AWOL. Anything in the way of rocks/water/obstacles that will make the walk more difficult?

I did 18-24/day in VA. Think that will be fairly reasonable through the 100 mile wilderness?

If you were going to get shuttled into Baxter, climb Katadhin then head south how many days of food would you plan to carry? Thanks!
    2016 FlipFlop. GA>WV>ME>WV
    Hiking with DSLR photos at www.instagram.com/jackjoneshg
    Blog at www.thejourney.co

You can get some resupply at White House Landing. They have a few items plus you can mail a box. I carry 7 days of food. All it takes is one hurricane sweeping up the East coast to turn the 100 into a mess.

When you pass by Abol Bridge (about 10 miles from Katahdin Stream which is the first campground after coming down from Katahdin) there is a camp store where you can buy basic food, fuel etc. You can also camp near by at a campground.

Now once you leave Abol bridge you enter the so called 100 mile wilderness. There will be no opportunity for resupply until Monson save for White House Landing --assuming that place is still open and serving hikers). White House landing is expensive... for anything you by. Be aware.

Most of the terrain in the 10ou0 mile wilderness is moderate but there are some challenging sections. You will have some stream crossings where you have to wade across very wide streams.. though with the drought that may not be very deep. Likely well less than knee deep.

That said.. DON'T plan on doing 20 miles per day in the 100 mile wilderness. First off it is just to nice to speed through. I mean it's the most beautiful part of the entire AT... or darn close to it! Expect to carry close to a week's worth of food (3-4 days anyway) in this section.

You get your food before hiking Katahdin and leave food and any other heavy gear in the tubs at the ranger station at KSC before you hike up. You can replenish your food supply at abol bridge campground about 15 miles from the top right before the 100 MW. I would recommend 7 days of food in the 100MW just in case. You could also arrange a food drop in the wilderness from a hostel, We didn't do this because we have heard of other hikers having there food drops stolen this year.

Quote Originally Posted by SGTJones View Post
    Anything in the way of rocks/water/obstacles that will make the walk more difficult?
    There are three stream crossings that are sometimes a challenge. This time of year they are usually easy, but after a thunderstorm they can be challenging. A few years ago, I hiked the 100 Mile Wilderness right after the remains of a hurricane passed thru. The stream crossings were scary. They shouldn't be a problem this year.
    Shutterbug

Im carrying eight days of food and Im starting at Daicey pond and plan to take a zero at Antlers campsite. First part of the HMW heading sobo is fairly flat. The mountains are at the Southern half.

Most of the area is in drought, it would have to be a day of thundershowers to make any difference in stream levels.

There are no good resupply options other than what prior posters have commented on. You could send a package to an outfitter in Monson and have a resupply half way thru the 100 MW (I believe its the Katahdin Iron Works Road). This costs money but sure makes the first few days hike a lot more pleasant.

I assume you are aware of the rules for Baxter, as a SoBo hiker you don't have access to the Birches so you either make reservations for a campsite in the park or have someone drop you off in the AM. AT lodge in Millinocket has a special where you get a nights stay and shuttle into the park in the AM. They also offer shuttles at the bus station in Medway or Bangor airport

Many folks set a real fast pace the first few days and then have to slow up quite a bit once they hit White Cap.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Terrain looks super easy in AWOL. Anything in the way of rocks/water/obstacles that will make the walk more difficult?I did 18-24/day in VA. Think that will be fairly reasonable through the 100 mile wilderness?

If you were going to get shuttled into Baxter, climb Katadhin then head south how many days of food would you plan to carry? Thanks!
    Not super easy at all, and not at all comparable to anything south of New Hampshire. It may shock you. Plan on 10-15 mile days max, and try to arrange a food drop for the middle of the 100MW. You won't have legs for that terrain that the NOBOs get by coming through NH and southern ME.

Have fun on Katahdin, and welcome to Maine!

Quote Originally Posted by dudeijuststarted View Post
    Not super easy at all, and not at all comparable to anything south of New Hampshire. It may shock you. Plan on 10-15 mile days max, and try to arrange a food drop for the middle of the 100MW. You won't have legs for that terrain that the NOBOs get by coming through NH and southern ME.

Have fun on Katahdin, and welcome to Maine!
    Roots and rocks and mud! Oh My!

but at least its pretty.

when are you flipping?

Many SOBOs stay at the AT Lodge in Millinocket the night before they enter Baxter State Park. You can arrange with them to get a food drop halfway through the Hundred Mile Wilderness. Details at the following link:

http://appalachiantraillodge.com/ser...at_food_drops/

They also offer a package deal where they pick you up in Medway, put you up for a night, feed you breakfast, then deliver you to Baxter State Park to start your hike.
    Last edited by map man; 08-11-2016 at 18:07.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Journal Entries

Awesome thanks for the great info. Arranged to be picked up by the lodge and am going to carry as much food as my pack will hold and take it easy through the wilderness and enjoy the camps and nature.
    2016 FlipFlop. GA>WV>ME>WV
    Hiking with DSLR photos at www.instagram.com/jackjoneshg
    Blog at www.thejourney.co

Awesome thanks for the great info. Arranged to be picked up by the lodge and am going to carry as much food as my pack will hold and take it easy through the wilderness and enjoy the camps and nature.
    Good decision to spend a day at Antlers Camp. It is a beautiful site.

Do consider stopping at Whitehouse Landing too. I have stopped there twice and enjoyed both visits. You could take half a day at Whitehouse landing, then another half day at Antlers.
    Shutterbug

++ New Posts ++