WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

It's warm in them that hills. Specifically the 3 Forks area of the South San Juan WA. 3 nights above 11,000' and the temperature never dropped below 40 degrees. Rain and high winds were the only weather concerns I had. And chewed up wet muddy trails.
    Of course the first real front could change everything in a few hours.
    Going back up high in the Weminuche on Saturday.
    Y'all have fun.
    By the way, the WM Alpinlite Rocks!
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Don't abandon anything until you experience the sun's rays on the Aspens in their regal yellow fall color and on the white trunks. Might catch some elk bugling as well. Great to camp under such conditions.

Alas, no color in southern Colorado yet.
    Wayne in Chama

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I'm in Leadville now, getting back on the trail tomorrow morning at Twin Lakes dam. There was some good color in the aspens coming down to Twin Lakes from Mt. Elbert trailhead.

I've decided on Collegiate West. Monday afternoon and night look like they could be nasty. Snow possible.

Keep plugging along Slo. Every day at elevation gets a bit easier. The section from Breckenridge to Copper Mountain is definitely challenging, but the views are spectacular.

lewisville?

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    My new 20 down bag with liner was marginal last night at 10000 feet. It gets really cold at night. It's been really hot in the sun even though the air temp is mild. Going up hill is very slow in the thin air. Good luck.
    Good info thx for sharing......any snow falling up high? lil snow on the weather report. Maybe I'll see ya out there starting the 19 @ twin lakes.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    I'm in Leadville now, getting back on the trail tomorrow morning at Twin Lakes dam. There was some good color in the aspens coming down to Twin Lakes from Mt. Elbert trailhead.

I've decided on Collegiate West. Monday afternoon and night look like they could be nasty. Snow possible.

Keep plugging along Slo. Every day at elevation gets a bit easier. The section from Breckenridge to Copper Mountain is definitely challenging, but the views are spectacular.
    What have the temps been like? You do Elbert?

No snow yet, but chance of rain and mixed predicted for early next week. I got caught in a brief T-storm a few days ago, but I was down low at the time.
    Color is showing up but not wide spread yet. PANO_20160906_115132.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 09-09-2016 at 11:42.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by hikeandbike5 View Post
    lewisville?
    Spellchecker strikes again.

And Montana is said to be Big Sky country. Gorgeous. Makes me want to get to the AP on a flight to CO.

Temps have been good during the day. Hot if you aren't under tree cover. Cool at night, into the 30s probably but not below freezing. I skipped Elbert. I live close enough to come do it if I ever get the desire.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Temps have been good during the day. Hot if you aren't under tree cover. Cool at night, into the 30s probably but not below freezing. I skipped Elbert. I live close enough to come do it if I ever get the desire.

Great thx...ill stick with shorts

I've been doing long pants and sleeves and sun gloves when exposed. I got fried coming down into Kenosha Pass. With a sunburn those next few were not fun.

Yea the sun is brutal at these elevations. Stay covered up and use sun screen. The wind will get you too as your out in the open and exposed a lot.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Default The CT in September - what to expect?

was at the hostel in breckenridge thurs night also. That's funny

Interested in a snow report for collegiate west afterwards.....I'm following the weather report for twin lakes and extended forecast showing 30-40% snow down in TL....would imagine up high would be more. I'm still a week out so not confident in any reports over a day out....thx

I had snow last night at Hancock Lake. Got a light dusting where I camped, maybe 1/4 inch higher up where I went over the pass.

I had snow last night at Hancock Lake. Got a light dusting where I camped, maybe 1/4 inch higher up where I went over the pass.

Great thx... I'm thinking about throwing a dozen roofing screws in the pack for traction if needed...

Just did sections 6 through 8. Great conditions. A couple nights hit the low 20's but a couple stayed in the 40's as well. We camped pretty near 10,000 feet all 5 nights we camped. Leaves were awesome.

Just got into Salida....holy ship...I had 50+ mph winds and snow..below freezing without the wind chill!! Nastiest weather I've ever experienced!! I've been through several hurricanes!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++