WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

was in colorado that week with my gf. We decided to pass on backpacking around 23rd and did some day hikes (not enough gear with us to actually enjoy sleeping at 20f and lower). froze my ass off on top of the divide pretty quickly with those winds. Had to give extra clothes to a dumbass who had shorts and wet clothes on at 13000ft in blowing snow... and then wait for him to drag his ass down slowly. Awesome.

This trail (or at least the collegiate) is on the 2017 or 2018 list

Had to carry him out after about a mile or so on morning of day four past chalk creek TH...he started limping. Think the 22 mile day finishing with the awful road walk took its toll....long story but I ended up boarding him in Poncha Springs.....glad I did with extreme weather!
    This is what he thought about the trip!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    b ful pic Salty. Is that near Kenosha Pass?

Welcome to elevation.
    Not Kenosha pass, took so many pics can't remember where but phone gps says BV......I drove past Kenosha pass on way.....over 100 cars with people every where.....didn't look like fun but more like Disney world!

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    was in colorado that week with my gf. We decided to pass on backpacking around 23rd and did some day hikes (not enough gear with us to actually enjoy sleeping at 20f and lower). froze my ass off on top of the divide pretty quickly with those winds. Had to give extra clothes to a dumbass who had shorts and wet clothes on at 13000ft in blowing snow... and then wait for him to drag his ass down slowly. Awesome.

This trail (or at least the collegiate) is on the 2017 or 2018 list
    Hey....watch it! I was wearing shorts! Under my ballet pants that is!

Finished today! Except for a few days of rain and the one snowstorm, the weather the last 5 weeks was picture perfect. I would not hesitate to hike the trail again in September.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

How well did your quilt system work?

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    How well did your quilt system work?
    Worked well and straps seem to help...I sleep cold and under low 30's my legs were lil cool. I need to look at down pants instead of cap 3 bottoms....my upper body was fine under 30 but I was wearing several layers...cap 4 hoody, Houdini wind shirt and ul down parka.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Worked well and straps seem to help...I sleep cold and under low 30's my legs were lil cool. I need to look at down pants instead of cap 3 bottoms....my upper body was fine under 30 but I was wearing several layers...cap 4 hoody, Houdini wind shirt and ul down parka.

Meanwhile, I was toasty in my skivvies inside the unzipped Alpinlite. I would also wager that my clothing & sleeping bag were in the same weight range as your quilt + excess clothing trying to stay warm. My stuff may weigh less.
    If you have to add down pants, the Alpinlite wins on weight & price.

How did the Solong 6 perform in the Rockies?

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Meanwhile, I was toasty in my skivvies inside the unzipped Alpinlite. I would also wager that my clothing & sleeping bag were in the same weight range as your quilt + excess clothing trying to stay warm. My stuff may weigh less.
    If you have to add down pants, the Alpinlite wins on weight & price.

How did the Solong 6 perform in the Rockies?

Wayne
    Tent did fine through wind and rain....only gripe is with a thicker pad like lg xterm my foot box on quilt sometimes hits the tent walls and gets damp. I started pulling my rain jacket over the foot box to keep dry....I get tangled up in the bags or I'd try a WM...some sleep colder regardless of bag or quilt....I don't take sleep only cloths besides capilene too/bottoms...so not really carrying extra sleep gear weight.....I'd say the 21 oz 20* wide/long EE enigma is as warm as my heavier Marmot helium 15* down bag that I'd get tangled up in....sole reason I went to quilt....

If it works don't fix it.
    I never did find a flat spot for the tent. I was always sliding into a heap at the low end of the tent. I don't even worry about the foot box.
    Cheers. Maybe I'll tackle a real trail like the CW one of these days.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

That's alright, one less Texan in Colorado is priceless.

That's alright, one less Texan in Colorado is priceless.
    No worries. I did get the feeling that all of Texas migrates to Colorado.
    I managed to find some empty trails. I'll keep them to myself.
    Wayne

Images

26 miles going over lake Ann pass is epic, congrats on your loop salty! I was a bit worried briefly on the weather, but glorious September in Colorado came through yet again! Nicely done. Sorry pooch couldn't quite make it.

I just finished the Long Trail in VT a couple hours ago, kicked my butt, but got it done. September is perfect for that trail as well.

Glad you enjoyed Colorado!

I just looked at the forecast for Breckenridge/copper mountain. Looks like winter is starting to kick in big time up there.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    26 miles going over lake Ann pass is epic, congrats on your loop salty! I was a bit worried briefly on the weather, but glorious September in Colorado came through yet again! Nicely done. Sorry pooch couldn't quite make it.

I just finished the Long Trail in VT a couple hours ago, kicked my butt, but got it done. September is perfect for that trail as well.

Glad you enjoyed Colorado!
    What an amazing place.......really enjoyed the hike....lake Ann pass didn't seem as tough as Hope pass but thinking back I did lake Ann in the morning only few miles into the day and Hope around mile 15 or so......a trip of many firsts for me...I plan to do a trip report shortly....just amazing how fast the weather changes out there!
    Only a day apart exact same spot!

Yo baby, the high country is a winter play ground.

Yo baby, the high country is a winter play ground.
    Man..I'm jealous what an awesome place to live! The day I flew home my cousin.....an ER nurse in his mis 20's was driving out to Colorado Springs where he took a job.....lucky bastard! I'm actually sending him my CT Data book.....

Images

I just noticed your posts on this thread, congrats on sticking with it in those tough conditions and pushing through.

Edit:. Woops, forgot to quote the post, I was referring to zed finishing his CT
    Last edited by colorado_rob; 10-03-2016 at 21:08.

I came to Colorado in the early 80's for a 3 night backpacking trip in IPW with an old college roommate. Forty five days later I quit my job at TI in Dallas and moved to Denver without a job. In those days, our packs were 85 liter, weighted a ton and stuffed to the gills, thank God for titanium, cuben fiber and 850 fill down.

At any rate, my good buddy says "Winter is why we live here, Summer is why we stay".

Glad you were able to finish your trip, it looked a little sketchy there for a while.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++