WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default SOBO mid Sept hiking partner(s)

Looking to hike the LT southbound with the autumn colors. My dates are flexible.

about me-

-Light hiker that thru hiked the AT in 2015. Base weight 12-14lbs and averaged around 2-3 mph.
    -39 male,engaged. Not the least bit creepy. I had females hike with me during my AT thru because creepers were stalking and they needed a big brother.
    -Would like to do 15 or so miles a day depending on terrain. I don't want to crank out 20's everyday.
    -Prefer tenting over shelters unless weather is horrible. I like to socialize at shelters, just prefer sleeping in my tent.
    -I don't care if you are 18 or 65. Just as long as you dont insist on pokemon or happen to be a grumpy old fart.
    -I dont excessively stink. 2000 milers will understand.

I may have a contact in North Adams to leave a car. We would just have to get ourselves to the Northern terminus.

Send me a tell if interested.
    AT, Long Trail, Loyalsock Trail, Art Loeb Trail, Cranberry Lake 50, Foothills Trail, PCT, CDT, Uinta Highline Trail, Lone Star Trail, Oregon Coast Trail, Sheltowee Trace Trail, BMT, AZT

I'll be hiking mid-Sept SOBO too! Only thing is I have to pull big miles to be able to finish the non-AT section and only use up 5 vacation days

My itinerary is at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Quote Originally Posted by French Press View Post
    I'll be hiking mid-Sept SOBO too! Only thing is I have to pull big miles to be able to finish the non-AT section and only use up 5 vacation days

That is a pretty ambitious itinerary you have there FP Are you coming in hot off the AT or other trail with your legs ready to rock? I'm starting a day behind you and will look forward to following your progress via shelter journal entries because I'm sure not going to catch up to you at that pace!
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Looks like we'll be sharing a shelter on Friday 9/9. I'll be headed out on 9/10 pretty early in the morning because I need to cover some ground quickly, too.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStranger View Post
    That is a pretty ambitious itinerary you have there FP Are you coming in hot off the AT or other trail with your legs ready to rock? I'm starting a day behind you and will look forward to following your progress via shelter journal entries because I'm sure not going to catch up to you at that pace!
    Unfortunately I am definitely no longer in my thru-hiker shape from November :/ However I've been good about running and weightlifting (squats, deadlifts) recently, so hopefully it won't be too bad! And I'm cutting out some luxury items like my Kindle to keep the pack weight down. I think I'll just have to be sure to hit the trail early each day, and pray for good weather!!

Images

Just another data point; I'm starting my Long trail SOBO thru attempt on September 20th (+/- a day).

I am older, but in prime hiking shape, and I have a very light pack. I don't expect to average more than 13-15 MPD on the northern section of the trail. I learned my lesson on the AT in New Hampshire about over-estimating my hiking speed in this kind of terrain. I averaged close to 19-20 MPD on the southern AT (faster on the VA/MD flat, low sections), but wow, in the NH whites, my pace screeched to a 11-13 MPD average. From everything I hear, the northern part of the LT is similar to the NH whites (I did do a short section of the LT near Mt. Mansfield).

Anyway, just another MPD data point from a strong (but older!) hiker.

Your 6 vacation itinerary looks a lot more fun. don't forget to factor in the shorter days
    I could do 20-25 mpd easily on the south LT in early August, but would do 12-15 late september in the north, and that would still use up a lot of daylight if I took time to enjoy the scenery

I'm headed out around Sept 24th going sobo to the Long Trail Inn.
    I'm starting a bit behind you guys and don't anticipate doing more than 12-15 a day if the terrain allows. I've done the AT (2011) and PCT (2014) so I've done my share of 20's. I'm out to enjoy the fall colors and take many many photos.

Keep in mind you are required to stay at shelters on the northern half of the LT. Some marginal tenting spots are available around some of the shelters. There are a few ski area warming huts which can also be used. Although dispersed camping is allowed in the National Forest section (AT part), shelters are still the most practical places to stay. The amount of traffic in the late fall is small enough that using shelters is not a problem.

A 1 to 1.5 MPH pace is typical for much of the northern end due to the steep, slippery and muddy trail. Just getting shelter to shelter is the most the average hiker can expect to do. Especially if your not real experience on this type of trail. By mid September you may well find yourself doing the last couple of miles by headlamp. Get as early a start as you can manage. If it happens to be raining, it just gets that much harder.

Those "from away" who think "how hard can it be?" are quite surprised by how hard it is.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I would say the 2nd quarter of LT (from the North) is worse than anything in the Whites. I thru-hiked the LT in 18 days SOBO in late June - early July 2011 (so maximum daylight). I started with 11-12 miles (going over Jay Peak on the first day), not including 4 miles RT to Johnson for resupply. One of the early days was about 5500' gain and 12.5 miles. The trail gets very slippery in the North, which caught me by surprise when I slipped just after re-entering the woods on Jay Peak and then again after Mansfield (when I broke one of my poles). After Lincoln Gap (Middlebury Rd, I think), the trail felt like a walk in the park with the exception of the ascent from US 4 to Killington (and even that did not feel bad, just longish). 20 miles in a day south of Lincoln Gap felt pretty good. I finished with 30 miles on the last day, which was tiring, but I could have done 20 the following day. I did have less than ideal, a bit wet weather while in the north half and dry, rather warm weather in the south half.

I'll be solo hiking sobo mid September but I am planning on hit 10 miles a day. Hopefully I'll see ya on trail best of luck and happy trails.

Queen

I'm looking to start tues/weds from Canadian boarder down to LT Inn in rutland too! Im trying to co-ordinate a ride from Manchester NH to Journeys End shelter and looking for a partner on about that MPD pace you mentioned....

as 10-K stated here so well after his SoBo LT thru hike in August 2012....north of Lincoln Gap, the Long Trail is a beast. I did the LT End-2-End in Sept 2013, and Slo-goen is exactly right, the northern LT is a tough slog. Especially north of Appalachian Gap.

I just finished Cheshire, MA to US-4 Inn at Long Trail AT/LT section on 8/25, and my job forced me to return home for a couple weeks.

but I'm planning to fly back up in a week and finish the LT again NoBo from US-4 Inn at Long Trail to northern Terminus. Flying up on 9/21 and start NoBo the morning of 9/22. May meet some of you guys on the trail. I'm just bringing my solo tarp for emergencies, plan on staying in the shelters/"lodges" every night.

it will be nice to be north of US-4 on this hike...southern VT trail was jammed with AT thru hikers and college orientation groups in late August.

Images

Reporting in from the LT... going sobo, at 110 mile mark.... great experience so far, a real butt kicker! As already said, very tough terrain mostly, some days 11-12 miles was a full day, but there is some easier terrain mixed in where one can cruise a bit. I did a 17-18 a couple days ago that included 5 flat miles around route 2. I'm 8.5 days for first 110 miles in the north, about 13 mpd average, going short today.

I wonder if I've passed by any nobos on this thread?

Vermont just may be in my top 5 favorite states, and I've been to all 50.

I knew you made a great choice of fall hikes for yourself.

So, ya gonna start an organic farm in VT or live in a cabin whittling little wooden birds or trade up to a Subaru Outback?

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Reporting in from the LT... going sobo, at 110 mile mark.... great experience so far, a real butt kicker! As already said, very tough terrain mostly, some days 11-12 miles was a full day, but there is some easier terrain mixed in where one can cruise a bit. I did a 17-18 a couple days ago that included 5 flat miles around route 2. I'm 8.5 days for first 110 miles in the north, about 13 mpd average, going short today.

I wonder if I've passed by any nobos on this thread?

Vermont just may be in my top 5 favorite states, and I've been to all 50.
    Right on bud! I'll be looking for you in the logs, I'm starting SOBO tomorrow!! So excited, how's the weather been at night up north ?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Styles_for_miles View Post
    Right on bud! I'll be looking for you in the logs, I'm starting SOBO tomorrow!! So excited, how's the weather been at night up north ?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Enjoy! I just finished my sobo, tough hike but thoroughly satisfying. Nighttime temps dipped below 40, maybe to 35, but I was two weeks earlier, I bet you'll have some low 30's. You'll hit peak of foliage, I was early. If you expect really chilly night, aim for 4 sided lodges or tent, vs 3 sided lean to.

I didn't stay there, but Starks nest would be fine place for the night.

Sorry, I'm not in any logs, just never got into that habit.

Fantastic experience!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I knew you made a great choice of fall hikes for yourself.

So, ya gonna start an organic farm in VT or live in a cabin whittling little wooden birds or trade up to a Subaru Outback?
    funny you mention Subarus, I thought Colorado had a lot of Subies, Every other vehicle in VT is a Subaru! Makes sense, actually. Probably the most stable vehicle made on slick roads.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Probably the most stable vehicle made on slick roads.
    Try an Audi with Quattro....WOW

++ New Posts ++