WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: feet

Default feet

is it just me or do other people out their have wildly sweaty feet. my feet manage to get sweaty in my montrail masais wich are wildly mesh. anybody else found a solution. my only option so far is sandals or barefoot. sandals are fun but barefoot sucks on trails with prickly things.

Quote Originally Posted by betic4lyf
    is it just me or do other people out their have wildly sweaty feet. my feet manage to get sweaty in my montrail masais wich are wildly mesh. anybody else found a solution. my only option so far is sandals or barefoot. sandals are fun but barefoot sucks on trails with prickly things.
    Are you wearing liners with your socks? If so, lose the liners, or try a lighter brand of sock, or possibly a sock with a different material.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Frieden and Ed - World Explorer Team frieden's Avatar

I would suggest using two or three pairs of socks per day. After a couple hours, change into dry socks, and hang your sweaty socks on the outside of your pack. Keep changing them out.

Quote Originally Posted by frieden
    I would suggest using two or three pairs of socks per day. After a couple hours, change into dry socks, and hang your sweaty socks on the outside of your pack. Keep changing them out.
    Diaper pins work great for hanging socks off of your pack. That way it doesn't fall off.

GAME 2000
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    Diaper pins work great for hanging socks off of your pack. That way it doesn't fall off.
    How hard is it to get a baby to give up their pins... do you have to offer them candy?

Jeff, you are showing your age with the diaper pins. I think diapers come with attached tape for fastening these days... however, you can still get safety pins. What time are you planning on arriving at the SoRuck on friday?

I'm confident that one could still find diaper pins at a specialty store. I know a friend of mine used cloth diapers for her two kids, the younger of whom is about 7.
    Don't forget the songs that made you smile and the songs that made you cry, when you lay in awe on your bedroom floor and said, "Oh, oh, smother me, Mother!"

Quote Originally Posted by MorrisseyFan
    I know a friend of mine used cloth diapers for her two kids, the younger of whom is about 7.
    Yup, I used the pins that were used on my kid's cloth diapers. Apparently Youngblood raised his kids before cloth diapers were invented.

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood
    What time are you planning on arriving at the SoRuck on friday?
    The jury is still out on that one. Suzanne is thinking about accompanying me, and Martha is on the fence. It all depends on who comes along. If Suzanne joins me we'll be there around dinner at the earliest. If Martha attends it'll be a late arrival (11 PM or so). If both of 'em fink out on me, I'll probably head over there early for some hiking. I'd like to bag Cheoah Bald (via Bartram) if possible.

i tried the diaper pin idea. just walked a local daycare center, took em of some kids, and used em to hold onto my socks.

actually, that sound like a good idea. the socks dont make that much of a diffrence, though dahlgren socks in my masai's seem to work ok. rotation sounds like it makesthe world go round.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

My feet also sweat profusely, regardless of the outside temperature. I've tried different combinations of socks and different types of boots, and while mesh boots provide better ventilation they do get wet very quickly. My solution is to bring 4 pair of liner socks (2 oz. per pair), rotating them every 3-5 hours. I wring them out during a break (I told you my feet sweat) and hang them off the back of my pack where they eventually dry out at least a little bit. My feet love the feel of drier liners, even if I have to put them on under a pair of wet SmartWools.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

++ New Posts ++