Good morning!
I'm working on finalizing my family's plans for our section hike of the 100 mile wilderness beginning in Monson this Saturday, and have one final worry that I need some help with!
I have been studying the ATC maps with shelters and tent sites, and have also found some helpful information on https://backpackinglight.com/100-mile-wilderness-amc/ as well. However, that article was written 2 years ago, and maps published before that, it seems.
So, I understand this is a busy time of year to be doing this stretch of the trail, but unfortunately, that's the way my vacation time worked out this year. So my worry, with the bubble of people around us, and having to hike slower and for longer hours during the day (7 & 9 year old legs are a bit shorter than hubby's and mine), what are the chances that all the tent sites will be utilized by the time we arrive for the evening? We will not be staying in the shelters, but just need some space for our tents.
We plan on taking 10 days to go from Monson to summit Katahdin and have booked a night in Baxter for the last night, so that's the one night I'm not worried about. The other nine, just a bit.
Oh, and the four of us use 2 tents, an REI quarter dome 2 and quarter dome 3, so they don't take a ton of space.

Any insight by current or past thru on how sharing with section hikers work would be so much appreciated!