WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hiking Through - Author Paul Stutzman

About this time last year, a friend of mine told me about his dream of thru-hiking the AT. I didn't know anything about the trail, literally. Over the past year I started thinking about hiking. Nothing serious, but something that would allow me to get outside away from everyday life and enjoy everything that the wild has to offer. I live in Summerville, SC where we have 2 seasons....summer and summer. Anyhow, a couple of other new friends of mine are big in to hiking as well and we were supposed to go on a weekend hiking trip in Mountain Rest, SC back in the spring time, but I couldn't make do to prior obligations. My fire was put out for a little while...that was until I found Paul Stutzman's book Hiking Through in Walmart the other day.

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but this is my first post and I new to the site, so I figured I would share my newly lit flame that I have for hiking...and eventually thru-hiking the AT. If you haven't had the chance to read Paul's story about his journey on the AT, I advise that you take the time to. I am sure there are many books out that are may be a better read, but this one has been special to me. I bought 2 days ago, and I am almost done with it 300+ pages. iBooks has it for $6 or something like that.

I told my wife, that thru-hiking the AT will be a life goal once our kids are out of the house. Whether she joins me or not...Lord willing, I will take the journey.

Thanks for reading my first post. I cannot wait to read and learn more as I prepare for short section hike of the AT come spring.

-out runnin'

Welcome to Whiteblaze! Good luck with your dream. You've found people who understand.

Congratulations on 1st post and first book. It was one of my first reads as well. I would suggest AWOL on the AT as your next electronic choice. I think my 3rd was Skywalker then Odessa. After that, you will just flow from one to another to another. I just saw where a study showed that readers leave longer. Between hiking and reading, I am hoping to have many years left to enjoy both activities.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Images

There's lots of good hiking in the Carolinas, especially during the winter in the Palmetto State. For your first long hike, I'd recommend the Foothills Trail. It's a beauty.

Best wishes on your hikes!
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I loved that book. I also enjoyed Bill Walker's "Skywalker: Close Encounters not he AT" and "Grandma Gatgewood's Walk." Didn't enjoy "A Walk In The Woods" as much as others did but AWOL's book about his hike was very good. I'm listening to Lawton Grinter's "I Hike" now and will follow up with Gary Sizer's "Where's The Shelter?"

I'm re-reading "Where's the Shelter, now. Pretty good book. Two books I really enjoyed were A. Digger Stoltz's novels of his two hikes of the AT. "Stumblin Thru" and "Keep on, Keepin on" I think that's the titles. Pretty funny, much funnier that "A walk in the Woods"

Paul Stutzman's book is one of my favorites as well. If you read Gary Bond's book, he and Paul's journey crossed paths a few times that year. Good reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    Paul Stutzman's book is one of my favorites as well. If you read Gary Bond's book, he and Paul's journey crossed paths a few times that year. Good reading.
    They changed their trail names to protect the not so innocent?

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    They changed their trail names to protect the not so innocent?
    Yeah I guess, I thought that was unusual. I don't think Gary substituted any names in his account, just Paul.

It was fun to discover that the two cross paths and even though one of them did change names.
    If you like the Stumbling Through Series, you will probably like "Where's the Next Shelter". Not near as many characters but a more factual account of a thru hike. I just finished it and couldn't put it in the top five but it is a top ten for sure!
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Summer and Summer...like that, I live in Barnwell, know the feeling!

I thought his book was OK. While his wife's story is compelling, the forward and anecdotes scattered throughout the book seemed tortured. If I recall, his book is also the one where he shares a story of his daughter asking him to come home after the birth of her child and he told her no and went to Trail Days instead. I felt that deserved further explanation.

AWOL and Skywalker are my two favorites.

I've grabbed a couple off Amazon that I started to read, and just couldn't. The writing was atrocious or it was full of misspellings which triggers my OCD. I don't particularly like religious tones to stories, either. I can't get past that if one gives god credit for everything, god is also responsible for everything and as ugly as this world can be, I have to believe he is one eff'd up deity. On the other hand, if one takes credits for one's own accomplishments, then one can take responsibility for one's own actions, and that rings true, to me.

Hiking Through was about my limit of religion, in book, that I can stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Hiking Through was about my limit of religion, in book, that I can stomach.
    Yep, all the Jesus talk in the book turned me off too. I found "wild" by Cheryl Strayed much more up lifting, as she took personal responsibility for her condition and healing.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    ...all the Jesus talk in the book turned me off too.
    Amen to that!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pringles View Post
    Welcome to Whiteblaze! Good luck with your dream. You've found people who understand.
    This!
    Good luck.

++ New Posts ++