WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Running PA section by weekend

Hello, I am looking for some advice on a currently half baked ultra running training plan.

i'm hoping to run the PA section of the AT weekend by weekend (busy during the week). Each weekend I plan to drive to the spot where I think I'll make it to, drop my pack behind a tree or something and then drive back to a starting point, run to my stuff, camp, and then hike it back to the car the next day- doing all of PA this way.

Problems that I've thought of so far-, get my stuff stolen if I don't hide it well enough, not enough road access, sections of the trail that can't be run (these I could skip).

Im just looking for thoughts and suggestions.

Best,
    zane

Some of the rocky parts would be nearly impossible to run. At least not without seriously risking a broken ankle.

As for your pack, I would suggest that you actually hang it in a tree to keep it away from the animals. I met a guy that was a ridgerunner for the ATC a few years back and he said he used to hang a large food bag at one end of his range so that he didn't have to resupply. He said a few time people took food but left him notes. I don't think you would have an issue with one day though. Maybe put a note on your pack so that someone didn't try to take it and turn it in or whatever.

Oh, I would say there in plenty of road access in PA also.

Good luck

I just kinda speed hiked from RT501 almost to Port Clinton/Hamburg.

It was an overnighter and I fell short of the town, so I turned around and hiked back to 501.

I rolled my ankle countless times but no problem with that, it was my knee that couldnt survive.
    12 miles first day (late start) and 22 miles the next day.
    My knee was in very bad shape, I am guessing from planting it down in many different angles.

PA is rocky, and that 501 to PC section is crazy! but anything is possible. there are bigger boulders and also very small but sharp rocks.
    I would say close to 75% rocks on the trail in that section.
    Just plan to slow done at some points and take your time for safety

What might work better is to do it as day trips. Either do out and back runs, then go look for a place to camp, or use a bike to get back to your car. You might find a friend to run with you sometimes to do a key exchange. (Note: make sure you both have a copy of the key, jic.) There are a lot of roads across the trail in PA, so you should always be able to get access to a road.

Images

I hiked/trail ran all of PA (and NY, Md, WV) doing long out and back day hikes, usually about 40 miles. I always took my gear in case of injury but my base weight is under 8lbs. Want to do back to back days? Do out and backs in both directions from you start point and camp in the car. I would not leave gear that I cared about in the woods and certainly not leave food. Also consider that you will be adding a lot of driving due to gear retrieval.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

You should be aware that the A.T. at a number of road crossings in PA is on land owned by the PA Game Commission. The Game Commission does not normally allow camping on their land, with an exception they make for the A.T. They do allow what they call Through Hikers - persons walking the Trail from a beginning point to an exit point which is not the beginning point - to camp. These campers must be at least 500 feet from an access point (so a road crossing or parking lot) or water source and within 200 feet of the A.T.

Campers have been cited when violating these regs, so I would urge you to comply for the sake of you own wallet if you do end up attempting your plan.

++ New Posts ++