WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Flying with Delorme & Other Electronics?

Is there a problem with flying with a Delorme InReach? I just want to make sure that I won't be blocked from carrying it aboard a commercial aircraft, given how strict they are getting about batteries.Thanks.
    "Not many miles, but a whole lot of smiles." Vegan Packer

I had no problems with mine traveling to CA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just keep the device(s) off and you should be fine. You can take most any batteries on board with you in carry on, except wet batteries, which are not allowed at all on planes unless properly packaged. The lithium batteries can ignite and fuel fires, which is why they can't be put into checked baggage.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Packer View Post
    Is there a problem with flying with a Delorme InReach? I just want to make sure that I won't be blocked from carrying it aboard a commercial aircraft, given how strict they are getting about batteries.Thanks.
    No problem. I have carried mine all over the world and have never had a question. I keep everything with rechargable batteries in my carryon luggage.
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    No problem. I have carried mine all over the world and have never had a question. I keep everything with rechargable batteries in my carryon luggage.
    Wow, I'm supposed to keep my headlamp in my carryon? I never would've known.... (shows how much I fly)
    Twitter: @mkehiker

Quote Originally Posted by KidA24 View Post
    Wow, I'm supposed to keep my headlamp in my carryon? I never would've known.... (shows how much I fly)
    Depending where you fly, the rules vary slightly. In the U.S., one is allowed to have rechargeable batteries in checked luggage as long as they are installed in a device which is designed to hold them securely. I was recently in China when a member of my travel group was called to open his checked luggage because the x-ray showed something with batteries in his checked bag. The approach that involves the least hassle is to keep all of your electronic devices in your carryon luggage. When I travel overseas, I carry an InReach, many camera batteries, Anker battery packs, and other electronic devices in a dry sack. It saves a lot of time at security to simply remove the dry sack and dump all the electronics in a bin along with my iPad.
    Shutterbug

How about spare batteries for my GoPro? Only one will be in the camera, but the rest will be uninstalled.
    "Not many miles, but a whole lot of smiles." Vegan Packer

Images

Why not go to either the airline's website that you'd be flying with or TSA's for the answer? Its all acually covered pretty well.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

From United's website --
    AA-9V, AAA, C, D alkaline, carbon zinc, silver oxide and nickel metal hydride batteries are allowed in checked and carry-on baggage as long as they are packed to prevent short circuiting.

Lithium batteries

Personal devices (except for e-cigarettes and personal vaporizers) installed with a lithium battery of less than 100 watt hours are permitted in carry-on and checked baggage. Loose lithium batteries are not permitted in checked baggage on any United flight. Each spare lithium battery in carry-on baggage must be individually protected to prevent short circuits. To do this, you can place each battery in original retail packaging, place each battery in a separate plastic bag or protective pouch, or insulate the batteries by taping over exposed terminals. Spare batteries must not come in contact with metal objects, such as coins, keys or jewelry, and you should take steps to prevent crushing, puncturing, or putting pressure on the battery.In most cases, up to two larger lithium batteries (more than 100 watt hours, but not exceeding 160 watt hours) are permitted in carry-on baggage if the terminals are properly covered or insulated. If you are traveling with a battery-operated mobility device, please see our Special Travel Needs section.If carry-on baggage is checked at the gate, any spare lithium batteries must be removed.For the most updated information regarding lithium batteries, visit SafeTravel.dot.gov and the FAA’s website.See the “Lighters, matches and e-cigarettes” section below for information about e-cigarettes and personal vaporizers.
    The FAA's website -- https://www.faa.gov/about/initiative...info/?hazmat=7

And the TSA -- http://blog.tsa.gov/2013/06/travel-t...y-packing.html
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Packer View Post
    How about spare batteries for my GoPro? Only one will be in the camera, but the rest will be uninstalled.
    I travel with a laptop backpack and all of my electronics including spare batteries are liberally strewn within. I've flown around the U.S. and into Canada with zero issues.

I flew with my inreach in my carry-on, along with all of my other electronics. I had no problems.

++ New Posts ++