WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default time to drop some weight

I have been carrying a 35lb, 70L pack for years and due to getting older (40) and aching shoulders I want to shed some weight. I am looking at the Osprey Exos 38 &48. I will be carrying a Sea to Summit small sleeping pad, a Tarptent Contrail and a 2lb summer sleeping bag. Will these items fit in the 38L pack with room for my MSR Pocket Rocket small Titanium pot, four days worth of food and clothes (one pair of socks, one pair of underwear and tights for around camp and one northface thin compressable coat? I want to go as small as I can!

That's a great idea. a ultra light quilt would b less then a pound

thom

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I use a Granite Gear Crown VC 60 which weighs 2.2 pounds and easily carries my outfit which is very similar to yours.
    My Montebello Down Hugger 800 #5 sleeping bag weighs 19 ounces.
    Those two changes would drop your weight by well over two pounds.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

Thanks for the info Don! I will look into those ASAP!!!

I used the Osprey 48, and found it the perfect size. Tent and sit pad strapped to the bottom. It was stuffed full in the colder weather at the start. When I sent home my cold weather gear, I was able to send home the brain as well. Here's my gear list, items with a zero got sent home when it warmed up.

The pack got uncomfortable over 31 pounds, which happened early in my hike, and then never again. (Like many people I started with far too much food.) I think the 38 may be too small. I saw about an equal number of 48s and 58s on the trail.

Kindle and cord? What's that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Images

Good for you trying to cut weight! Makes for such a more enjoyable overall backpacking experience.

But: Consider a more supportive, yet probably lighter pack than that Exos. I used an Exos (46) for a couple/few years (and the Atmos 50 before that), then "discovered" ULA packs, bought an Ohm 2.0 and a Circuit together, compared the two, kept the OHM and returned the Circuit. Both much more comfortable than the Exos but of course YMMV on any piece of gear.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    Kindle and cord? What's that?

Undoubtedly, a Kindle e-book reader and charger cord. Fantastic device for those of us who like to read on the trail in the evenings. I use a kindle app on my phone, does the same thing w/o the need for an extra device.

It is hard to provide a list of items and determine if it will fit in a specific pack. But I would think that a 2lbs summer back is going to be a bit bulky for such a small pack. I would look into upgrading that to a quilt or UL bag, for both summer and cold weather camping. take all your stuff to the pack store and see if it fits prior to buying. If you are going with a cottage company which is what I suggest, call them and talk they will be happy to help you get the pack that is write for your needs.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Garlic
    Images

I agree with trying a larger pack with less suspension--eventually at least. Try the Osprey out and if it's not large enough, look at ULA, Gossamer Gear, Z-packs and other cottage manufacturers. Return policies are pretty generous if you don't take them on the trail. My path to UL finally succeeded with the third pack. You'll be lucky to get it right the first time.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I posted the link to lighterpack soley to demonstrate how much crap you can fit in an Exos 48, let's not sidetrack the thread by critiquing my gear. I went with the Exos because of the relatively low cost, as well as that sweet sweet back ventilation. I love everything about the pack, including the shoulder strap, hip straps and overall comfort level.

Saw people on the trail with more expensive, more spartan ultra light packs, and they'd attached DIY foam bits to the shoulder straps. There are a lot of good choices, but in the end it's about what works for the individual based on what's going in the pack, your body type and probably a bunch of other factors.

Images

A word on pack size. If you're anywhere close to being "lightweight", and are talking about late-spring to early fall hiking in most of the US, like the AT (not sure about New Brunswick!), I betcha a 100 loonies that a 50 liter (or 46-48) pack is plenty big; you shouldn't need anything bigger.

If you go with the Exos (a fine pack, but for me, the ULA's are much better), look at what weight savings for the 38 vs. the 48, what, about 5-6 ounces perhaps? Even if all of your stuff fits in a 38, it might be more convenient and ultimately more useable to buy the 48; this gives you some margin and convenience (not being over-stuffed) on the trail.

BTW, my Exos 46 is many years old, I think 5-6, the new models perhaps are better for hip-belt support, which is my #1 complaint with my old Exos. I love Osprey packs, still use a couple others for shorter hiking (a Hornet) or expeditions (an Aether). Plus: it's Colorado company!
    Last edited by colorado_rob; 08-26-2016 at 08:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_Hiker View Post
    I have been carrying a 35lb, 70L pack for years and due to getting older (40) and aching shoulders I want to shed some weight. I am looking at the Osprey Exos 38 &48. I will be carrying a Sea to Summit small sleeping pad, a Tarptent Contrail and a 2lb summer sleeping bag. Will these items fit in the 38L pack with room for my MSR Pocket Rocket small Titanium pot, four days worth of food and clothes (one pair of socks, one pair of underwear and tights for around camp and one northface thin compressable coat? I want to go as small as I can!
    I have the Exos 48. With my 2lb tent and 14oz summer quilt it was pretty damn full with 5.5 days worth of food and minimal clothes on my last trip. Personally, I would get the 48L pack and ditch the brain if you want to shed some weight.

Ah charging cord, should have known.

Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

As mentioned but others I think the 38L would be too small for your listed gear. I have a 62L ZPacks Arc Haul (52L not including the mesh pockets outside) and have found it perfectly suited for my gear (similar to yours) and have plenty of space for 5-6 days of food, all without having anything hanging off the outside.

I'd seriously consider the Arc Haul pack...very comfortable with the added lumbar pad (I had to add a little extra padding since I am kinda boney and small but most people don't). I have a ULA Circuit too which I like, but not as much as the Arc Haul...but another good consideration. I find both of these packs more versatile than an Osprey pack so far

I used 65L Osprey as my "goto" pack for many years because of the comfy belt, shoulder straps, and ventilation; it seems HUGE now that I have lightened my load up.

After way too much research (or maybe just enough) I went with a Zpacks 52L ArcZip;the roll up top is awesome to accommodate different sized loads, just roll it up if you don't need the extra space. I keep my total weight fully loaded at 24-30lbs (with bear canister) and I find I am very comfortable with this pack and still get the advantage of ventilation on my back and the option to unroll the top if I need more space.

Images

I had a chance to try out a Osprey Exos48 with 25lbs in it and it was so comfy! I am pretty sure I will go with this pack just because it is available at the local outfitters here in town.

I love the idea of a quilt but hate sleeping directly on top of the sleeping pad, find it hot and clamy!

I have been looking at the Montebelle Down Hugger 800 and I think I am in love with it!

I think there are better options than the Montebelle when it comes to a sleep setup; not very impressed with customer service from them.

Price and warranty on the Osprey are very hard to beat unless you want to get very specialized. Good friend purchased that pack and likes a lot it, he feels it is a little small for some of the 4 season stuff that we do but 3 season is great!

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I agree with trying a larger pack with less suspension--eventually at least. Try the Osprey out and if it's not large enough, look at ULA, Gossamer Gear, Z-packs and other cottage manufacturers. Return policies are pretty generous if you don't take them on the trail. My path to UL finally succeeded with the third pack. You'll be lucky to get it right the first time.
    I like my Elemental Horizons Kalais. It would be in that "other cottage manufacturers" category.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_Hiker View Post
    I had a chance to try out a Osprey Exos48 with 25lbs in it and it was so comfy! I am pretty sure I will go with this pack just because it is available at the local outfitters here in town.

I love the idea of a quilt but hate sleeping directly on top of the sleeping pad, find it hot and clamy!

I have been looking at the Montebelle Down Hugger 800 and I think I am in love with it!
    I would go with the 48 instead of 38 so that you can get more use out of it when it's slightly colder (extra 4 oz weight)
    As a fellow Canadian, I can appreciate the difficulty of getting gear from the states. Terrible exchange, expensive shipping, expensive to send things back, etc

The exos doesn't fit me well at all, but if it's a good fit for you, that's one of the few light weight packs at local outfitters

when you swap out that sleeping bag, you'll be well on your way to a good summer kit

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++