WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    havent ever run across this, are they looking for outrageous party goers or me sipping my scotch?

Just don't make camp in illegal areas and don't do stupid stuff and you should be OK.

BTW it's very dry around here right now, be sure to fill up on water every chance you get.

Enjoy your hike.

V8

agreed on the water.
    When i went through there last year there was no water after leaving Pickle Branch shelter, continuing across hwy 311, and not until Campbell shelter and the creek a bit past/behind - kind of to the left if your facing the opening of the shelter.
    There was water at pickle branch shelter, Campbell shelter, and down at Lamberts Meadow shelter...
    October should be getting to be a real, real nice time to do that hike. Hope you have great weather and a great hike. Don't forget to look right as you ridge walk a bit, before dropping down to Daleville, for some views of the beautiful emerald green Carvins Cove Reservoir.

u.w.

Quote Originally Posted by jbwood5 View Post
    If you go further north (I guess a mile) and start down the mountain from Tinker Cliffs, there is a shelter off to your right (Campbell). I remember stopping there for a snack. Last year I ran that exact section (more like fast pack and jogging). There was water in the stream at Lamberts shelter, but it was very shallow and I couldn't fill my Sawyer filter bag. The Lambert Meadows campsite about 1/4 mile further north has some better water and a slight elevation cascade where you can fill a filter bag fairly easy. That is also a nice spot in there. From that point north, it is easy going. I was able to run 90% of it.
    So Lambert's is decent? I'll be tenting it. I know this spring there was some bear activity there and way back when, a family of rats lived under the shelter. Rats disgust me.

Quote Originally Posted by JLorenzo77 View Post
    So Lambert's is decent? I'll be tenting it. I know this spring there was some bear activity there and way back when, a family of rats lived under the shelter. Rats disgust me.
    I will most likely be tenting at the campsite down the trail, from the sound of it, it is a better option if going to be tenting. I will update here on Tuesday when I return home water situations, any bear activity(I doubt ill see any), the masses of VT partiers and passels of LEOs herding them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I will most likely be tenting at the campsite down the trail, from the sound of it, it is a better option if going to be tenting. I will update here on Tuesday when I return home water situations, any bear activity(I doubt ill see any), the masses of VT partiers and passels of LEOs herding them up.
    That would be great, Gambit. I look forward to your feedback.

I would recommend the Lambert's Meadow Campsite. I camped there this past March and it was quite nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    I would recommend the Lambert's Meadow Campsite. I camped there this past March and it was quite nice.
    I will look into that for sure. Thanks!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JLorenzo77 View Post
    My buddy and I are booked to hike from McAfee Knob to Troutville on a Friday - Saturday in early October. Looks to be a two day, one night hike of roughly 10 miles per day.
    Heading out to do that same hike around that same time - hope to see you out there!
    It's all good in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    Heading out to do that same hike around that same time - hope to see you out there!
    That would be awesome LittleRock. If you see two dudes, one who might be struggling with pack weight for the first time, yell out 'Rookie,' and I'll respond.

Images

The hike from Tinker Cliff's to Daleville is not easy.

Daleville to Troutville easy

Feed Back:
    My game plan for this section was to not pass up a water source. I did from 4 pines to Bear Wallow Wayside On the BRP.
    All water sources that are marked as "steady flowers" if you will, were in deed flowing, but were pretty low. Had to use a cup at every source north of Daleville.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Headed out soon to go from the Audie Murphy memorial to daleville for a 3 day'r. Going to be a lot of fun.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++