WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Hiking in June

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Default Hiking in June

Question for some thru hikers or sectioners with large miles under their belt. I am going to be hiking the month of June, not sure where yet, could be Maine with a SOBO buddy, or could be on my own if his finances don't come together. The question is, if you had the month of June to hike, where would you hike on the AT. I more or less am looking for a starting point, doesn't matter to me if I go SOBO or NOBO, but I'm just trying to gauge weather, etc. and what would be the ideal June hike, knowing of course heat, rain and bugs can all be a part of what we like to call "vacation time". I have a couple ideas, but I just want some input from some of the more esteemed hiker trash out there other than myself. Thanks, Guys!!! BTW I don't want to hike in either NC or Georgia, already finished GA, and NC is for weekend and short section hikes due to the proximity to my house.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Do you wish to complete the trail by section hiking? Then anyplace is good. If you crave the social interaction of the trail, insert yourself into the pack. Otherwise, avoid it.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Yep, I'm currently section hiking, might join the pack, I am a social hiker, as I have learned so I know most will be northern Virginia by that time, just curious if anyone thinks there are better places to section on the trail at that time. I don't really want to be with the big crowd anyways, but a few people at night to share the fire so to speak is always a good thing to me.
    Walking Dead Bear

I don't think I would hike in June through Maine though on second thought. The blackflies are in full force.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

That is why I am asking your guys opinion, I coach football so if my buddy starts SOBO in July I may not be able to hike with him, which leaves me June to hike, I would prefer to avoid the blackflies if possible.
    Walking Dead Bear

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I did slackpacking on the New York State portion in June and had lovely weather. I'd think that anywhere from Duncannon, Pennsylvania north into Vermont would be nice that time of year.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Harpers Ferry NOBO.

Images

Last year I met some friends just south of Waynesboro and hiked north through the Shenandoahs to Harper's Ferry. Great hike! Arrived in Harper's Ferry on June 21 (hike naked day)... I didn't

Images

I was thinking NOBO from Harpers or starting somewhere in Va and hike towards Harpers. Although hiking north from Duncannon is an idea.
    Walking Dead Bear

If possible, I'd save the area north of Harpers for a cooler month than June.

If I were to hike for the entire month of June, I'd start in Erwin, TN, which would give you the opportunity to enjoy the Roan Highlands area during late spring and wildflower season; it's also a great time to do Southwest and Central Virginia.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    If possible, I'd save the area north of Harpers for a cooler month than June.

If I were to hike for the entire month of June, I'd start in Erwin, TN, which would give you the opportunity to enjoy the Roan Highlands area during late spring and wildflower season; it's also a great time to do Southwest and Central Virginia.

Hey, that's great to know. I'm planning on starting in Erwin and hiking north for the month of June. Being a teacher does have its advantages.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Yes, tis nice to be a teacher.... I'm spending a week in June hiking the Georgia Section with a couple friends.

++ New Posts ++