WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How Late is Too Late to Start a SOBO AZT Thru?

It looks like I will have two months in the fall to do a thru of the AZT. Ideally I will be able to start mid-October. However, there is a chance it won't happen until early November. When is too late to start a SOBO of the AZT? Thank you!

You could get snowed on anytime after early October and it will likely be cold at night. That said, if you have the warm gear, there's no reason you can't do a late fall hike. I'd talk to the rangers at the Grand Canyon and at Flagstaff to see how much snow is on the ground when you start, but it isn't likely to be enough to stop a hike, just make you somewhat uncomfortable.

Duplicate thread. Mods might want to combine the two threads.

Already answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    You could get snowed on anytime after early October and it will likely be cold at night. That said, if you have the warm gear, there's no reason you can't do a late fall hike. I'd talk to the rangers at the Grand Canyon and at Flagstaff to see how much snow is on the ground when you start, but it isn't likely to be enough to stop a hike, just make you somewhat uncomfortable.

Thank you , and yes. 10 degree Zpacks bag. Nice down jacket. Good layerings. Pants. etc.

And yes also, combining would be good.

++ New Posts ++