WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default MPOWERD Luci Outdoor Inflatable Solar Lantern

Our local Meijer store in Dayton, Ohio has the Mpowered Luci light on sale for $9.99, saving of about $5. Saw several of these on my section hike this year and at 4oz seems like a great alternative back up light. Also can be used for power outages at home.

I take a LuminAID (similar) when my daughter goes with me.
    It is great during long winter nights playing go-fish.
    When solo, I leave it at home.
    I believe both companies allow you to purchase one at a discounted price to donate to people in parts of the world without power or after a catastrophic event.
    Ten dollars is a decent deal but it seems about the online price.

Journal Entries
    Images

The first time I saw one was when I made it to Black Gap shelter at 11pm. A hiker had it hanging in the shelter as they were shaking down some gear. It was bright and lit up the shelter well. I purchased one and I like it. It holds a charge pretty well. At 4oz, there are only certain times I'd carry it.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Images

which would be better, frosted or clear?

I like the frosted one better for use in a tent/sleeping shelter. It is more than enough light to read by without a harsh glare.

The clear seemed rather bright to me when I used one this summer. (It was out on a picnic table. People sitting in front of the table found it so bright that they wanted it moved. We probably had it set to super bright. None of us were familiar with luci and didn't realize it had different light levels.) I would go with this one in an exterior (outside of a tent) use where I wasn't sitting right next to the luci.

Journal Entries
    Images

I prefer the frosted - I took one to a razor blade and took the blow up part off and tossed it into the UL pack. No worries... I like them.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I have the frosted one, and love it! It really gives off a pleasing, soft light. I've only used it at home though, so I'm not sure how it performs while backpacking.

I was given a frosted 1 by my Son, carried it strapped to the top of my pack, for over 700 miles, this Spring/Summer. I used it quite often, did not mind the 4oz & was enjoyed by all when I did turn it on. It never ran out of power.
    Take Care, Be Safe, Peace OUT, Slainte
    Thee Raven

Default MPOWERD Luci Outdoor Inflatable Solar Lantern

loved it. left it at Jim and molly Denton shelter...

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

This is an item that I would bring if I was hiking with someone, but leave it out I hiking solo.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Living in Florida the light does not seem to attract bugs like a head lamp. Something with the color of light it emits I presume. Just something I have noticed.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Love my Luci. Didn't use it during the summer months of this year's long trek but loved it once the hiking days got shorter. Comforting to have a good, dependable light source. Very versatile as well.

Images

Mine has come in handy a number of times over the past couple of years. It's come in handy several times for power outages, holds a charge for an amazingly long time. (We do have a 17 kW generator, but some room don't get power. Curiously, both bathrooms. Hmm....) Goes camping with us a lot, but never took it hiking. After a long trail day, I usually want dinner and bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    Mine has come in handy a number of times over the past couple of years. It's come in handy several times for power outages, holds a charge for an amazingly long time. (We do have a 17 kW generator, but some room don't get power. Curiously, both bathrooms. Hmm....) Goes camping with us a lot, but never took it hiking. After a long trail day, I usually want dinner and bed.
    may have something to do with GFI breakers...but I'm no thru-hiker.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    may have something to do with GFI breakers...but I'm no thru-hiker.
    Neither am I. Hard enough lately to get time even for section hikes. Might be the GFI. Both bathrooms are interior, so not even natural light gets in. Most outages here are short, so it hasn't been a problem until Hermine came through. We were lucky, only had power outage for 38 hours. That's when the lanterns came in handy!! (End thread drift)

I've got one of these inflatable lanterns by our daughter last Christmas, and during my most recent overnighter carried it, just for fun.
    It worked well, thats the best I can tell.
    There is room for improvement as well. Like, to blow air in and to deflate it is difficult because the nozzle is so small and too close to the body, the hanger is more a joke than useful.
    Also, I would apprecciate if it had a constant red light as well, not only red-flashing.
    It's a nice toy, but I'll not carry it on true hikes.

++ New Posts ++