WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Actual 20 degree bag?

I'm looking for a sleeping bag that's actually warm at 20 degrees. I'm 6 ft 220 lbs. Want something that'll fit in bottom of Osprey pack. Would like something that can unzip for blanket like use when it's warmer too. Thanks for any advice
    ​ " I like things that cain't break, like escalators, they jus become stairs... .. ."

Journal Entries

Check out Feathered Friends.

I use a WM Alpinlite in VA in the winter and have been warm into the teens plenty of nights. It's doesn't exactly unzip all the way so it doesn't meet your criteria 100%. My little brother has the WM Sycamore MF which is rated to 25* and does unzip all the way. He used it on a recent trip to the Wind River Range where temps were probably in the high 20s or low 30s each night and was perfectly fine. If you sleep warm, I would bet you could extend the Sycamore to 20* comfortably with minimal additional sleeping layers. I know I could. One note is the Alpinelite has a bit more room when mummified than the sycamore. You are about my size and I appreciate the extra room in the Alpinlite (though minimal).

+1 for Western Mountaineering Alpinlite.

OkeefenokeeJoe

Journal Entries

+2 for WM Alpinlite. Plus it is large enough to move around in it.
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

Don't forget that what is under you is just as important as the bag itself. At 20* you need an insulated pad like a Thermarest XTherm or similar insulated pad. It will make a huge difference in the warmth of the bag.

Having said that, WM is one of the best bags out there but as previously stated, does not unzip all the way. I have heard great things about Enlightened Equipment quilts as well.

Journal Entries
    Images

+3 for the Alpinlite. I've taken mine out on a few 30 degree nights and had to open the zipper to not overheat. That baby is warm!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Journal Entries
    Images

Mountain Hardwear Ratio 15 works fine and it about $200.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

I can recommend the WM Sycamore. I prefer semi-rectangular bags over mummy bags because I feel so restricted and "claustrophobic" in mummy bags. It's a few ounces heavier, but worth it for the comfort it affords me. WM rates the Sycamore to 25* but I have been comfortable down to 21* (with merino long underwear, socks, and fleece hat.) And I sleep pretty cold.

The fact that it can open up all the way and used as a blanket, and the continuous baffles that let you adjust the down, makes it extremely adaptable. I also like that it's roomy enough to stuff my clothing, a water bottle and gas canister and I still don't feel uncomfortable. The one thing that I do have to adjust for as the temps go down is the lack of a down collar or chest baffle - so I just use my fleece jacket as a pillow and stuff the sleeves down around my shoulders. Works fine.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

+3 for the Western Mountaineering Alpinlite.

best down 20* bag on the market

My Western Mountaineering Sycamore (25 degrees) is plenty warm at 20 degrees, with a 3.7 R insulated pad and wearing my down sweater along with a base layer, wool socks and wool beanie. I was never cold with this setup, even in the Smokies in March. I'm normally a cold sleeper.

I like the WM Alpenlite but I'm older and colder than most, don't cut corners on your bag, it's the difference between a comfortable nights rest and misery.
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

Marmot Sawtooth. I'm not sure they still sell this one. I've had mine for a few years now. Any season, don't hit the trail without it, saved my life once in July!!

Quote Originally Posted by elray View Post
    I like the WM Alpenlite but I'm older and colder than most, don't cut corners on your bag, it's the difference between a comfortable nights rest and misery.
    Let's make it unanimous. Alpinlite Long, down evenly distributed, on an Xtherm Large inside a Hubba Hubba NX. Usual merino wool jammies and socks, fleece beanie and gloves. 12 degrees on my accurate thermometer. I'm only 5'-8" and 150 pounds.
    My previous bag was cut on the same pattern as the WM Ultralite. I decided to move up in size. Glad I did. Anyone who says that mummy bags are claustrophobic hasn't slept in the Alpinlite.
    I also have an Antelope for winter. The dimensions are in between the Ultralite and Alpinlite. Perfect for skinny me.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Western Mountaineering Ultralite. http://www.westernmountaineering.com...ies/ultralite/.

If there's one piece of gear I'm not to skimp on, it my sleeping bag.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Western Mountaineering Ultralite. http://www.westernmountaineering.com...ies/ultralite/.

If there's one piece of gear I'm not to skimp on, it my sleeping bag.
    I totally agree. I was just ready for more space and the price was right.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Before getting to recommendations, it would be good to know how your personal comfort matches up to the temperature ratings used for sleeping bags. The EN (European Norm) system has two temperature ratings, which are supposed to be the lowest temperatures at which an average man and an average woman, respectively, will sleep comfortably. For instance, my Marmot Cloudbreak 30 isn't actually a 30 degree bag; it's a 32.4/41.4 degree bag for men/women respectively. The EN system assumes a thin set of long johns for the comfort ratings. I've got a silk liner bag and some fleece long johns to extend my comfortable use of the Cloudbreak 30 to lower temperatures. Plus, getting back to my initial point, I was born in Maine in December, and my personal comfort point has always been lower than most. Knowing whether you sleep warmer or colder than typical helps you choose a bag that works for you.

When preparing to sleep in the cold, I can think of two pieces of generally useful advice to share. (1) Eat something shortly before bedtime. Your body needs fuel to generate heat during the night. (2) Start warm. Get in your bag and do a few push-ups and crunches before you zip up all the way. You'll be uncomfortable if you start cold and only warm up your bag to a decent temperature very slowly at your non-exercising metabolic rate.

++ New Posts ++