WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Looking for hikers, missed check-in on 9/2

Hi All,

Looking for information on two possibly missing Northbound JMT Hikers, John Steitz and Steve Wenass. They were in Independence on 8/24, and their last check-in was 8/26. It is very possible that it's just a cell service issue, but I'm reaching out as a friend to their families. Last we heard they were planning an early exit in Mammoth, but they have not been heard from. If anyone has seen them or has any information, please PM me! They guys are pictures on Whitney below:

stevenjohnwhitney.jpg

Journal Entries

Since theres basically no cell service between Reds Meadow and Whitney, very possible thats the issue....
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-03-2016 at 20:54.

UPDATE: They picked up drops on 8/31 at the Muir Trail Ranch. Any news/information would still be wonderful.

Not sure how many miles a day they are putting on, but I agree with basically no service in that area. Not sure how many miles a day they are putting on, but if they got their MTR resupply (mile 107) and are heading north- I had AT&T service at the top of Bear Ridge (mile 91) and at Reds meadow (mile 57). Not to down-play the potential of them being lost, but they've had slightly over 3 days from MTR which does seem reasonable if they are giving updates via cell.

Hi guys, first thanks for your posts. Not to be rude, but personally speaking I understand what you are saying; I suspect we will hear from them today. I even have an itinerary which puts them on track to hit Red's today. I'm quite familiar with the milage and trail data; I was supposed to be the third hiker on this trip. Heck, I helped make that itinerary. Problem is that the itinerary is out of date; while the pacing is likely accurate, the dates are way off, especially based off of when they got to the MTR resupply.

That said, as I mentioned in the OP I'm reaching out as a friend of the families, who are much less accustomed to their loved ones going on extended hikes without cell phone service. This was most definetly John and Steve's longest adventure to date.

If you have information directly regarding these hikers (IE you have seen them, heard from them, think you saw them hiking, or even heard rumors about their whereabouts), please PM or reply to this post.

I will update again when I have solid information.

UPDATE: Hikers found and are ok. Thank you all for the support!

These "has anyone seen" threads always make me wonder why hikers with hyper-nervous family (and friends) don't use a Delorme InReach or SPOT Tracker when out on the trail. It only makes sense and would alleviate lots of worry.

OkeefenokeeJoe

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OkeefenokeeJoe View Post
    These "has anyone seen" threads always make me wonder why hikers with hyper-nervous family (and friends) don't use a Delorme InReach or SPOT Tracker when out on the trail. It only makes sense and would alleviate lots of worry.

OkeefenokeeJoe
    Or what I tell family....if NOAA calls and asks if Ive activated a PLB, the correct answer is YES.

Other than that, no news means Im just dandy.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-04-2016 at 22:01.

Quote Originally Posted by OkeefenokeeJoe View Post

OkeefenokeeJoe
    +1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++