WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Default Kerosene Starting SOBO JMT Thruhike on 9/1

Sitting in the Minneapolis airport (drinking an expensive but tasty Summit Saga IPA) on my way to Reno. I'll do a 10-mile day hike up 10,000-foot Mt. Rose tomorrow, then do a day hike from HAppy Isles to Clouds Rest Junction and back (13 miles) for additional acclimatization and to cover the entire JMT.

I'll be staying a Cinnamon Bear Inn in Mammoth Lakes that night, then catching a shuttle to the Tenaya-Sunrise Lakes trailhead to comply with our entry permit. I'll be back at the Cinn Bear Inn four days later to resupply before pushing on to an overnight and resupply at Muir Trail Ranch 4 days later. 8 more days to summit Whitney and walk out to a motel in Lone Pine, before returning, yet again, for a few night at Cinn Bear Inn (they will be storing my travel gear!). My girlfriend then joins me for 10 days in Mammoth/Yosemite/Tahoe, which pretty much takes up the month of September!

My numerous AT section hikes certainly helped me prepare, but I'm already hating the bear canister and concerned about the sun and elevation. On the plus side, the Diamox I started seems to have cut 3 full pounds off my weight, even though I don't appear dehydrated!

I'll post pics later this Fall.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Sounds like you have everything laid out, but I feel like you could achieve the same acclimation without having to hike Happy Isles. HI to Clouds starts at 4000 and goes to about 8000 feet. If you are staying in Mammoth Lakes- the elevation there is 8000. If you are hiking it for the views though it is awesome.

Have a blast! I did a flip flop out of mammoth/ DPP last sept.. Loved the Cin bear inn....I didn't like the way the Diamox made me feel and made food taste blaaaah...I didn't have an issue coming from sea level without acclimatization other than a previous vertigo issue...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

I've heard that ibuprofen works just as well for altitude sickness, but I haven't tried it.

From 8/2 to 20, I hiked the JMT sobo with an alternate start at Tuolemene Meadows over Mono/Parker pass (to Koip Pass - 12,000 feet) in first day. Prior to starting the hike, I spent one night at Crane Flats Campground and two nights at Tuolemene Meadows (all above 8000 feet) and did some light hiking/walking at those elevations. I did not experience altitude sickness except for some sluggishness ascending Koip Pass and some difficulty sleeping at higher elevations early on in the trip. I was not prepared for the relentless exposure to the sun. I was happy with my hat, which covered my neck, but I had not brought a long-sleeved shirt for hiking and ended up draping bandanas over my arms (plus slathered on sun screen every 2 hours of sun exposure).
    I would recommend the Dow (sp?) Motel in Lone Pine. It was built in 1923. I also recommend a visit to the film museum in Lone Pine!
    Have a great trip!

Images

Let the journey begin. Have fun Michael.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rubyvermonter View Post
    From 8/2 to 20, I hiked the JMT sobo with an alternate start at Tuolemene Meadows over Mono/Parker pass (to Koip Pass - 12,000 feet) in first day. Prior to starting the hike, I spent one night at Crane Flats Campground and two nights at Tuolemene Meadows (all above 8000 feet) and did some light hiking/walking at those elevations. I did not experience altitude sickness except for some sluggishness ascending Koip Pass and some difficulty sleeping at higher elevations early on in the trip. I was not prepared for the relentless exposure to the sun. I was happy with my hat, which covered my neck, but I had not brought a long-sleeved shirt for hiking and ended up draping bandanas over my arms (plus slathered on sun screen every 2 hours of sun exposure).
    I would recommend the Dow (sp?) Motel in Lone Pine. It was built in 1923. I also recommend a visit to the film museum in Lone Pine!
    Have a great trip!
    My hike was 7/11 to 28.

[Altitude]
    I didn't have the extra days to try to acclimatize before starting from HI. I did use diamox for about 4 days (half the dosage normally prescribed to prevent altitude sickness). The only time I felt ill was the end of the 3rd day, but I think that was mainly due to dehydration. Otherwise, I only had a mild headache the 3rd day hiking thru TM area, and had a bit of a loss of appetite the 5th morning (but some pre-cooked bacon helped me get over that).
    Otherwise, the mantra "hike hi and sleep lo" seemed to have helped me get started (my starting sleeping altitudes were 4,200' - 7,500' - 9,600' - 9,100' - 9,900' - 7,600' - 10,300' - 10,400' - 9,200' - 7,800' - 11,000).

[Dehydration]
    It was pretty simple keeping hydrated when climbing. During climbs I would be breathing hard and so my throat was constantly asking for water. But when doing an easy walk, like walking Lyell Canyon or when going down hill, I wouldn't be breathing hard and so my throat wasn't asking for water.

[Sun]
    I knew there would be a lot of sun, so I brought along a long sleeve shirt and long pants. What I didn't think about was by hands. I got sunburned on the back of my hands hiking down from Donahue Pass. Saw lots of other hikers wearing thin fingerless gloves. Wished I had thought of that. Despite having a wide-brimmed hat, I still got sunburned on the back of my neck. It happen the day I climbed the Golden Stair Case. You're back is to the sun, you're exposed, and looking down a lot. It wasn't until the next day I talked to a guy wearing a buff around his neck that I realized I needed to use my buff to avoid further sunburn on my neck.

[Bugs]
    Bugs were pretty persistent most of the trail. But as long as you kept moving, they usually didn't bother me. So by the 2nd half of the trip, I got into the pattern of wearing shorts and sun screen on my arms and legs during the day getting hot and sweaty. At camp, I would wash off my arms and legs and then change into my long sleeve shirt and long pants (both treated with the bugs-away). While I did have some deet along, I managed to go the whole trip without using any and only had a few bug bites.

The other white meat

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    I've heard that ibuprofen works just as well for altitude sickness, but I haven't tried it.
    Ibuprofen can mitigate some of the headache, but that's it. The disorientation, lethargy, irritability will still be there. It's important not to use sedatives (i.e. for sleeping or anxiety), as these WILL magnify your symptoms.
    Ginkgo Biloba has in recent years been shown to be effective for altitude sickness with less side effects than Diamox; plus it's available over the counter. I found that a little goes a long way and too much will make me dizzy since it increases blood-flow to the brain. Here is one of two peer-reviewed studies that demonstrate effectiveness: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18076292

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Unfortunately, my (right) knee swelled up after only 20-some miles, forcing me off the trail to Mammoth Lakes (during Labor Day weekend!) to get it drained. I was hoping to rejoin my two partners three days later out of Mammoth, but if anything my knee felt more unstable and painful in different places than usual. So, I ended up heading home after a week in the (dusty) western Sierras. Seriously, my equipment was perfectly dialed in, I was acclimated, I was extremely fit...all for naught when your body rebels. I've got an appointment with an ortho at the end of the month to assess what some sort of knee replacement would entail (I'm hoping for a partial medial compartment knee replacement).

I was actually more concerned about my left knee going in, as it had been giving me problems for the past 3 years. The right knee has no cartilage, but I guess my quad strength mitigates that until the weight and duration weaken everything. So, I may need two knee replacements before I get back out there. Frustrating, to say the least.

Take care of your knees, youngsters!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Journal Entries

Thats a shame.
    Good luck with your path forward

Heal up...get back out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear this Kerosene. Here's hoping you heal quickly and return to your former old hiking form! Seatbelt.

With your determination,Kerosene, you will be back and finish the JMT. All the best.
    Onegreywolf

++ New Posts ++