WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I knew Tipi would get something right. I've been having a heck of time in big comfy expensive beds and bed linens to sleep indoors in the unnatural AC in unnatural shaped boxes. Went outside with a 40* quilt and fell asleep cowboy camping last night in the yard. Sprayed on some bug juice though. I was sleeping soundly on the beach(when protected from wind driven sand) and on the PCT recently. One thing about the PCT endless LNT potential sleeping spots. So miss that PCT tread and dust. I got another one in me. And, away we go. So in tune with the stirring before sunrise, hearing birds awaken, cowboy camping, getting that before sunrise walking start, seeing the forest/desert/mountain worship the sun's first rays, getting a long day in experiencing my soul awakened, hiking until after sunset, laying out pinching myself how fortunate, and zzzzzzzzz. Birds chirping again.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OldGringo View Post
    I also use a white noise application at home on my iPhone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Theres 8-10 hr long "rain on tent" sounds on youtube.
    I play occassionallt to drown out other household noises when wife still up

Sound muted though, like heavy tent
    I want one of a cuben tarp in thunderstorm.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Theres 8-10 hr long "rain on tent" sounds on youtube.
    I play occassionallt to drown out other household noises when wife still up

Sound muted though, like heavy tent
    I want one of a cuben tarp in thunderstorm.
    Serious? LOL.

Wife should quietly dump some water on your arse or put your fingers in tepid water. Tell the wife "can you make the sounds of wind now to add to the rain sounds."

For the really old timers is there a rain on canvas tent sound?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Google rain on canvas tent you tube

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Serious? LOL.

The "sounds of breaking Wind" sound, kinda drowns it out....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do sleep better on my Prolite Plus than I did on ccf pads, but still don't sleep well. Not sure if it's the lack of having the big comfy bed or that I'm not as relaxed as I am at home. At home, I know I'm safe; no critters are going to "get me" or my food/backpack while I'm sleeping, so I sleep soundly. Out in the woods, I'm constantly listening for critters, on some level worried about them, and therefor not as relaxed... or that's my theory anyway.

After doing some canoe trips with proper pillows, I have identified that the pillows are my sleeping issue when hiking. With the exact same mat and tent I sleep 10x better if I have a real pillow.

have tried a few things, but no solution that works. As someone mentioned above, by the time I'm damn tired a couple days in (hard hiking, lack of sleep the first night), I'm ready to sleep anywhere.

Journal Entries
    Images

Talk to your doctor about getting fitted for an oral device. They can be as effective as a CPAP or BIPAP for a lot of people. They only weigh a few ounces. And They don't need batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    You answered your own question. It's the lack of your CPAP machine. Sleep apnea causes insomnia. I wonder if the medical supply store carries a machine that is portable. I hope so!

Images

My advice is if you can't fall asleep at night, you didn't walk enough during the day.
    It's all good in the woods.

I am the same as others...first couple of nights out I find it harder to sleep, but after that I'm generally good. I generally have a harder time because I go to bed too early, before it gets dark, but it's too cold to stay outside after the sun has gone down at 10,000 ft. I'm usually pretty exhausted by the time I reach camp, but I also stop early because I can't do more than about 12 miles a day (especially on half-existent trails) but it doesn't take me that long to walk that far and I get bored in camp too.

Images

I was on a cpap machine for years. On one memorable canoe trip I actually carried a car battery so I could use the cpap for camping. Then one day I got really sick of my lifestyle and I set out to lose weight until I achieved my proper BMI. Within 18 months I had lost 68 pounds, gave up the cpap for good, eliminated the need for all the meds for blood pressure and testosterone, overcame erectile dysfunction and returned to a normal, happy libido, and so forth.
    The sleep apnea does cause insomnia, primarily because subconsciously I was afraid of asphyxiation when my throat closed and I couldn´t breath. The sleep lab that prescribed the cpap said I stopped breathing 19 times in a row.
    Now, after losing 68 pounds and adopting an outdoor lifestyle I sleep like a baby, anywhere from 6 to 8 hours every night whether indoors or out. The key is to lose the weight. The hammock helped me do that. For the 18 months I was in training I had a ENO double nest in my bedroom and liked it much, much better than my $800 space foam queen mattress. Definitely go with the hammock in my opinion.

Images

Another option that works for some of us, is marijuana, medical of course. It knocks me out like no pill or booze I´ve ever had. Sleep so sound I wake up not remembering a thing, and its great for easing aches and pains and injuries.

hope ya don't mind if I piggy back on this thread but it seems in the same vein. Does anyone have troubles sticking to their Neoair??? Spring, fall, winter I sleep pretty well since I am wearing clothing but in summer I either have to keep dressed and sweat or spend the night flailing around like a horsefly on a fly strip! I took a king pillow case and fashioned a sleeve out of it but its runnin 5-6 ounces...anyone try a different type pad or one of the commercial made sheets perhaps?
    "Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars." - Casey Kasem

Lots of good information here - thanks everyone.

When I started the thread, I left out one important fact. I forgot to mention that I categorically don't sleep for *****...ever, camping only makes it worse.

I can literally count the number of good nights of sleep that I've had in the last decade, on a single hand. Three of those night were in a row after I started taking BP medicine. Before the medication, my BP was 198/111 and I remember nearly crying in the mornings because I was exhausted.

I am going to look at an oral device.

I'd love to try medical marijuana but isn't a legal option in Indiana.

Lastly, I'm feeling more motivated to lose some weight, that probably wouldn't hurt me a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by jgillam View Post

Lastly, I'm feeling more motivated to lose some weight, that probably wouldn't hurt me a bit.
    I truly promise I'm not trying to be a dick, but you're looking for answers when it's clear you have several risk factors affecting your sleep that have nothing to do with camping. Weight loss is the best improvement to your backcountry sleep than any sleeping pad can have.

Quote Originally Posted by plodalong View Post
    hope ya don't mind if I piggy back on this thread but it seems in the same vein. Does anyone have troubles sticking to their Neoair??? Spring, fall, winter I sleep pretty well since I am wearing clothing but in summer I either have to keep dressed and sweat or spend the night flailing around like a horsefly on a fly strip! I took a king pillow case and fashioned a sleeve out of it but its runnin 5-6 ounces...anyone try a different type pad or one of the commercial made sheets perhaps?
    I bought a thermarest fitted sheet, works awesomely well, very comfy when sleeping on pad in hot weather.

Quote Originally Posted by jgillam View Post
    Lots of good information here - thanks everyone.

When I started the thread, I left out one important fact. I forgot to mention that I categorically don't sleep for *****...ever, camping only makes it worse.

I can literally count the number of good nights of sleep that I've had in the last decade, on a single hand. Three of those night were in a row after I started taking BP medicine. Before the medication, my BP was 198/111 and I remember nearly crying in the mornings because I was exhausted.

I am going to look at an oral device.

I'd love to try medical marijuana but isn't a legal option in Indiana.

Another reason to move to Co!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    I truly promise I'm not trying to be a dick, but you're looking for answers when it's clear you have several risk factors affecting your sleep that have nothing to do with camping. Weight loss is the best improvement to your backcountry sleep than any sleeping pad can have.
    No offense taken. It's the Internet, you are likely not a doctor and no one actually knows my full medical history. I am a big guy but, am still in decent shape, I just don't sleep well. Even when I was a thin teenager I struggled to sleep. I've come to live with it at home to the point of it being my normal. I do notice it more when I camp. I have always loved the woods and as my children have grown, I'm seeing more opportunities to be outside with them and want to enjoy it.

I think that between the suggested weight loss, the use of marijuana, walking to exhaustion and Benadryl, I am fully prepared

My sleep apnea has ramped up so bad it is going to stop me from even attempting one night on the a hike. When I start to fall asleep with out the mask I wake up startled with an anxiety/panic attack. I wish I could have the few nights with out a mask you are getting. I think you are lucky. I would give anything to be able to follow my dream and hike the AT but unless someone comes up with a 2lb 12v gas generator I will never get to overnight hike again.
    Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolls Kanardly View Post
    . . . I would give anything to be able to follow my dream and hike the AT but unless someone comes up with a 2lb 12v gas generator I will never get to overnight hike again.
    Rolls
    Google the term "ultralight CPAP". And never let this reason stop you again.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++