WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default daypack with decent hipbelt

I've been on a quest to find a daypack that has a decent hipbelt.

For day trips I rarely carry much weight, but need to keep the weight on my hips due to a bunch of shoulder problems (and surgeries, etc...) . Aside from water, it is usually lunch, a basic first-aid setup, emergency bivvy and some odds and ends. Typically it only weighs about 5 lbs.

I've been suing an Osprey Stratos 24 but it doesn't fit me very well. I tried a Talon 22 but found it to not have enough padding on the shoulders (even without the wight is rubbed) and like the way the Gregory Zulu 30 feels, but the hip belt is too high and it seems big...but was comfy. That is the level of padding I'd love to find.

I don't have a shop within an hour so I typically end up having to order online and then return/exchange as necessary. I'd love to hear a few suggestions about daypacks that might work.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have that I can check out. I appreciate it!

Check out the Daylite day pack, by Osprey.

That is sort of the opposite of what I was looking for. It only has the 1" wide strip of webbing for a hip belt. I'd like to find a bag around that size, but with a reasonably substantial hib belt (for comfort).

I've been striking out so far though in the quest.

Is it possible to put a good hip belt from one pack on another pack?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

It seems with packs that small, unless you are a champ with a sewing machine (I'm not), probably not.

Packs that aren't designed for heavier loads will likely all have the more narrow belts. I didn't know it was the width that was at issue, were it the fit, that pack has some decent adjustment ability to get the belt where you want it on most builds.

Getting a replacement belt of a greater width with some padding would likely be the best (or only) option. Getting someone to sew it together would be phase II.

Quote Originally Posted by Zig-Zag View Post
    It seems with packs that small, unless you are a champ with a sewing machine (I'm not), probably not.
    see if there is a local makerspace and if someone there would be willing to do it for you.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

My favorite day pack ever was from Golite Rush 14. It is literally the perfect day pack in my eyes (it has a nice wide hipbelt, even has little pockets on it). MyTrail Co is the renamed Golite company but their product line is pretty small still...

Keep checking their website and hope they put the pack back on the market. Mine has seen better days and I want to replace it!

I recently got an REI Traverse 28. It has a trampoline type back (like some of the Ospreys) and a really good hip belt. I'm six foot with a long torso and it fits me really well. Also, it's a very comfortable day pack for summer hikes.

Mystery Ranch sells something they market as a daypack (I'm sure the ultralight folks will laugh at a 38L pack being called a daypack). It has a very beefy yoke (the same ones they put on their huge packs) which is fully adjustable and a decently padded waist belt. It has a frame sheet but not a rigid frame per se.

Mens:

http://www.mysteryranch.com/scree-pack

Womens:

http://www.mysteryranch.com/cairn-womens-pack

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Packs that aren't designed for heavier loads will likely all have the more narrow belts. I didn't know it was the width that was at issue, were it the fit, that pack has some decent adjustment ability to get the belt where you want it on most builds.

It isn't specifically the width, but it seems a wider width then the single 1" wide pc of fabric leads to greater comfort and more load transfer to the hips instead of it just being there for stability, etc....

It is more of a function thing then a width thing if that makes sense?

Is there any reason you can't carry a lightweight regular sized backpack that has a hip belt? Some of the smaller packs from ULA are lighter than a lot of day packs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Quote Originally Posted by Turk6177 View Post
    Is there any reason you can't carry a lightweight regular sized backpack that has a hip belt? Some of the smaller packs from ULA are lighter than a lot of day packs.

Nope, other then feeling silly using it at about 5% capacity. Maybe that I might not have enough inside to secure it, but I doubt that is a big deal.

If it is comfy and has a decent belt/harness, it would work. It might be that I have to look at the bigger capacity packs to get the right thing.

I'd also +1 on Zimmerbuilt. Contact them and have them make you a day pack to your specs...problem solved

Gossamer Gear has a few that fit your description.

Another vote for Zimmerbuilt.

My primary pack is a ULA Ohm. I love the simplicity of the layout. However, it's a bit large for day hikes and overnighters.

When I saw the MLD Burn I fell for that one as it's a mini Ohm of sorts. It falls short in the hip belt area though (just webbing and wings, no padding and way too short).

So when I had a chance I picked up a Zimmerbuilt version of the Burn with a bunch of enhancements including a better hip belt. Generous padding that wraps around past my hip bones and bigger angled side pockets.

Since the layout is the same as my Ohm it's really intuitive to use and pack. Totally comfortable for a base weight of up to 15lbs though for day hikes I am typically around 5-6.

I was using an Osprey Stratos. First a 24 (or was it a 22) then a 34. I was never really happy with either. They were comfortable but the side and hip pockets were totally useless.

https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/packs...l?redirected=1

Makes for a big day pack, but it works.

For reference... Simmer built ZB2

Hip belt is far superior to the MLD Burn, IMHO..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darn auto correct... Zimmerbuilt ZB2..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++