WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Post Hike- Nutrition Needs

I have just completed my longest hike on the AT. Springer to Harpers Ferry ( 1,023 miles). I began at my normal weight of 158, dropped approx. 12-15 lbs over the course of 3 months on the trail, finishing on August 13. Since returning to the real world I have been eating like crazy, but have yet to recover any of my lost lbs. I imagine my metabolism has not quite returned to normal ( that's a very unofficial guess )
    Anyway, I know very little about nutrition, but simply put I wish to regain ( and add some additional weight) to be in better shape next Spring for my next long hike. My plan is to combine moderate strength training with a systematic weight gain, with a goal weight of 165 by April.

For starters, have any of you experienced similar circumstances regarding post hike return to normal? When can I expect to see some added lbs. on my skinny bones?

I will note that I was in perfect health over the course of my hike, no issues then or now. I'm patient, I don't want to just get fat, thus I'm working out during this period, but I also assume I need to be doing something better to make all of this happen.

Thanks to all the professional and amateur nutritionists out there.

Golf
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

I went and bought new clothes as soon as I got off the trail. 2 months later they didn't fit anymore.

Images

I suspect "not gaining weight" will be the least of your problems. I found it impossible not to eat and eat after I was thru. I gained my lost weight back quickly and overshot my ideal weight by a few pounds. If you can control the overeating then you can mean to your lean with a combination of strength training and eating a high protein diet.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Is the 158 normal wt good for you at your height and size frame? Do you know your body fat % at that 158 lbs? The goal of many is to equally exchange lbs of body fat for lbs of muscle mass. It's not always so easy. I can see if you want to gain weight in the form of slightly added muscle mass combined with strength training if you feel you're lacking that but have you seen many LD hikers? Many are quite lean even if they are of a endo or mesomorph body type. How about considering on trail dietary approaches where you're not dropping much body wt? Staying near/within my ideal wt range based on these traits during and post hike has been better for me than pronounced body weight yo-yoing. I don't allow myself to deviate more than 10-12 % of total body wt anymore on and off trail. No need to since I don't allow myself to get far my ideal wt taking into account these traits.

One way on trail I maintain my wt is by increasing % of total daily/weekly calories coming from "good fats." I eat more fat on trail. At some point my body goes into a state where the fat I'm eating is consumed readily as energy. This also reduces my food wt since a gram of fat has 9 calories verse a gram of protein or complex carbohydrates only contain 4 calories. I'm to the point I basically have a running count of daily/weekly calories in my head or read food labels seeking foods, especially snacks, that contain higher levels of fat calories. I find it easier if all or the majority of my trail food choices contain 30-45% fat calories based on the labels. I don't analyze charts or anally write calories down. Makes it faster and easier on trail knowing this has been done already because I'm usually mailing myself some resupply boxes. On trail, I observe my body and wt, then adapt and adjust diet. Especially on trails like the AT and PCT where resupply locations and the ability to supplement are so analyzed and frequent I adjust diet/nutrition to maintain body wt. Like many others I'll add more fat into the trail diet if needed such as as dried coconut milk, coconut flake, olive oil, avocados, fish packed in oils, more high fat nuts and seeds, etc.

Another way, not for everyone, not needed to be always done, but worth consideration is resupplying more frequently. This is easy enough from a logistical perspective IMHO on trails such as the AT for the reasons mentioned. This allows 1) more food hence more nutrition NOT just more calories to be carried between resupplying from a wt and bulk perspective 2) more in town eating of food containing good fats but not ceding to rampant in town food bingeing which I have done in the past and still see much of from others.

Post hike I reduce not just the amount of food(daily calories eaten) but decrease the % of fat calories from total daily caloric intake. Post hike I believe it important as much as ever to consume a broad spectrum of nutritionally dense minimally processed whole foods. This is where I think many miss it post hike; they return to or continue bingeing on highly processed nutritionally dismal food like products.

Post hike I aim to drink similar amounts of spring water as I do on trail. The water helps stay satiated and continues the detox process especially so important as we return to off trail life.

Post hike I still live a non lethargic life. I still aim to move.

Post hike I'm still being observant and adjusting diet and lifestyle as needed to maintain body wt.

Metabolism. Coming off a continual, daily workout of 1,000 or so miles will boost your metabolism pretty good. You probably won't start putting back the pounds lost for a short time until your metabolism starts to catch up with you. As it slows, you grow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Is the 158 normal wt good for you at your height and size frame? Do you know your body fat % at that 158 lbs? The goal of many is to equally exchange lbs of body fat for lbs of muscle mass. It's not always so easy. I can see if you want to gain weight in the form of slightly added muscle mass combined with strength training if you feel you're lacking that but have you seen many LD hikers? Many are quite lean even if they are of a endo or mesomorph body type. How about considering on trail dietary approaches where you're not dropping much body wt? Staying near/within my ideal wt range based on these traits during and post hike has been better for me than pronounced body weight yo-yoing. I don't allow myself to deviate more than 10-12 % of total body wt anymore on and off trail. No need to since I don't allow myself to get far my ideal wt taking into account these traits.

One way on trail I maintain my wt is by increasing % of total daily/weekly calories coming from "good fats." I eat more fat on trail. At some point my body goes into a state where the fat I'm eating is consumed readily as energy. This also reduces my food wt since a gram of fat has 9 calories verse a gram of protein or complex carbohydrates only contain 4 calories. I'm to the point I basically have a running count of daily/weekly calories in my head or read food labels seeking foods, especially snacks, that contain higher levels of fat calories. I find it easier if all or the majority of my trail food choices contain 30-45% fat calories based on the labels. I don't analyze charts or anally write calories down. Makes it faster and easier on trail knowing this has been done already because I'm usually mailing myself some resupply boxes. On trail, I observe my body and wt, then adapt and adjust diet. Especially on trails like the AT and PCT where resupply locations and the ability to supplement are so analyzed and frequent I adjust diet/nutrition to maintain body wt. Like many others I'll add more fat into the trail diet if needed such as as dried coconut milk, coconut flake, olive oil, avocados, fish packed in oils, more high fat nuts and seeds, etc.

Another way, not for everyone, not needed to be always done, but worth consideration is resupplying more frequently. This is easy enough from a logistical perspective IMHO on trails such as the AT for the reasons mentioned. This allows 1) more food hence more nutrition NOT just more calories to be carried between resupplying from a wt and bulk perspective 2) more in town eating of food containing good fats but not ceding to rampant in town food bingeing which I have done in the past and still see much of from others.

Post hike I reduce not just the amount of food(daily calories eaten) but decrease the % of fat calories from total daily caloric intake. Post hike I believe it important as much as ever to consume a broad spectrum of nutritionally dense minimally processed whole foods. This is where I think many miss it post hike; they return to or continue bingeing on highly processed nutritionally dismal food like products.

Post hike I aim to drink similar amounts of spring water as I do on trail. The water helps stay satiated and continues the detox process especially so important as we return to off trail life.

Post hike I still live a non lethargic life. I still aim to move.

Post hike I'm still being observant and adjusting diet and lifestyle as needed to maintain body wt.
    Well-written, I reckon — thanks, Dogwood!

Bruce Traillium, brucetraillium.wordpress.com

Well, THX. At least I didn't rub everyone the wrong way the last two days.

++ New Posts ++