WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default DWG --Sunfish Pond/Backpacker Site 2

I'm thinking about parking at Kittatinny after work (say 5 or 6 pm ish) and hike up NOBO to Backpacker Campsite 2 this coming Friday (Sept 10).
    What I'm trying to find out is how crowded I should expect that campsite to be on a mid September, Friday night, with decent weather forecast? Am I likely to find the campsite full, or am I likely to get a spot? Because the next site (per the AWOL Guide) isnt' till 7 miles away @ rattlesnake road, and it will be evening.

Alternatively, I could head SOBO. I could either catch a shuttle, or park myself, at Blue Mtn Lake/Flatbrookville Road. There is a campsite 1 mile south (per awol again.)

Thank you in advance for any intel you can provide, WB'ers!

The Backpacker site (there's only one, Backpacker 1 was closed years ago), is likely to have space then. It's a pretty big site, with room for quite a few tents.

plenty of room, large open site, 2 composting privy's, bear boxes and cables.

also look up Mohican outdoor center, as a option for camping.

RUNT ''13''

Thank you Bob and Runt; much appreciated...just gotta find myself a shuttle now!
    HH
    jw

Ended up staying at MOC, and hiking back to DWG in the morning. I was glad I did; a nasty overnight thunderstorm hit so I was dry and happy, as was my gear. And most of the hike was descent, so gravity was on my side. Found some trail magic at Sunfish Pond, which along with the cairns/rock art was really cool highlight.

++ New Posts ++