WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water in Watauga Dam (dry)

FYI
    I just section hiked the Watauga Dam area, and was surprised to find all the water sources dry. Lake water will be your only option. And the Watauga Dam shelter is still closed due to bear problems - looks like it will be closed for a long time.

It would help backpackers heading to that area if you could clarify what stretch of the trail you hiked. Do you mean Watauga Dam to Damascus or some smaller section. That will tell backpackers whether places like Vandeventer, Iron Mountain and Double Springs shelters are dry.

On my last backpacking trip (all of August) I mused and became amused at the thought of AT backpackers in the Southeast all having to carry 8 to 12 lbs of extra water on a daily basis and wondered how many would bail out due to both the drought and the weight.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    On my last backpacking trip (all of August) I mused and became amused at the thought of AT backpackers in the Southeast all having to carry 8 to 12 lbs of extra water on a daily basis and wondered how many would bail out due to both the drought and the weight.

*** most ***

++ New Posts ++