WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Spur of the moment GA AT hike?

I recently acquired some unexpected time off work. Thought I would take advantage of it and get some hiking in. I've done some 4 day hikes a hand full of times and several day hikes but never on the AT. Been dreaming of a thru hike for years but don't have THAT much time at the moment. I've read that fit hikers do the GA section in 7 days. I don't want to be over ambitious so I've packed for ten days and if I get done sooner then that will be fine. I have time to do more than 10 if need be, but would need to resupply at some point. Never multidayed solo, but I will. Just seeing if anyone else may want to join. Planning to start at Springer (approach trail optional) just as soon as I can figure out parking and shuttling. This week if possible. Any takers?

Journal Entries

Packing for 10 days is not needed.
    Resupply at mountain crossings at neel gap and save at least a few lbs. Its literally on the trail, the trail goes thru the building.

You will stop in anyway for a cold drink, ice cream, hot dog, etc, so send a resupply there.

Have fun
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-05-2016 at 23:35.

Be aware of the water situation (drought). Don't pass up a water source without tanking up. Nice time of year to hike.

Thanks for the tips guys!

Images

Great time of year to be on the trail. I would start with 4 days of food, resupply 3 more days at Neels Gap (you'll know by then if you need more food/days), then if you want to keep going past Dick's Creek Gap, resupply again in Hiawassee (hitch in from the gap). Most people either stop at DCG or keep going to Deep Gap/Standing Indian, since the actual GA/NC border is in between them. If I had ten or twelve days I would hike to Winding Stair Gap near Franklin, which is 110 miles north of Springer Mountain.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Thanks Ken! Great info guys. I can use all I can get. Any tips on temps this time of year? Here in AL I know I would be fine with a summer bag/quilt and shorts and T shirt. I imagine GA temps to be similar, but not sure about the higher elevations. I've packed a thin fleece throw to supplement my 55 degree bag just in case. Do you guys think that will be enough? Should I take a base layer and/or a light jacket just in case?

Right now my pack weighs in just shy of 25 lbs with 10 days of food in it. That does not include water, fuel for my alcohol stove or stakes. If I mail some of my food as suggested it will lighten me up considerably and I can take more clothes if needed. My pack is rated for 30 lbs max and research tells me its best to keep it under 25.

Leonidas

If you are mailing ahead to Neels or Dicks Creek, they recommend two weeks ahead of time.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

How about starting via a hitch or shuttle from the summit of Brasstown Bald to the AT and then SOBO on the AT to AF SP?

When is your hiking window?

Yes, you certainly can with little hassle break up the chow haul.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jrc - View Post
    Right now my pack weighs in just shy of 25 lbs with 10 days of food in it. That does not include water, fuel for my alcohol stove or stakes. If I mail some of my food as suggested it will lighten me up considerably and I can take more clothes if needed. My pack is rated for 30 lbs max and research tells me its best to keep it under 25.
    Wow, what are you eating? My food weight is almost always exactly two pounds per day, so 9+ days of food would be over 18 pounds by itself. I know some folks who are able to hike on a pound a day, but that is not me -- I like to eat when I hike.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

My food bag weighs almost 15 pounds. I had some freeze dried meals, knorrs pasta sides, oatmeal, grits, carnation breakfast, trail mix, jerky, tuna packets, pop tarts, granola bars, peanuts, nutella, tortillas, drink mixes, mini moon pies...maybe forgetting some. Had everything laid out for a breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert and two snack time foods per day. I think its a good bit of food. My wife thinks its over the top but I want plenty to eat as well. All in all averaging 1.5 lbs a day.

Check the long range forecast WRT weather. Looks to be a continuation of warm/dry for awhile. I'd still pack a light insulating layer (like a 100 wt fleece) and a warm hat. I sleep cold and tend to cool off quickly when I stop hiking for the day. If you don't use the warmer clothing, they make a great pillow.

Images

Have you considered going southbound. Simplifies parking if you leave a vehicle at Amicalola Falls.

I would recommend going northbound simply because you seem to have a time window that would allow you to go further if you make good time. If you go SB, you might run out of trail

Also, load the ATHiker app on your phone and purchase the first section. Having relatively recent updates on the water sources and knowing exactly where you are on the trail can be useful.

Mountain Crossings is a great resupply place. Don't try to pack it all with you from day one.

Have fun!! I myself just finished the GA section this past weekend. It took me three separate trips, but it was worth it. Now onto NC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Does anyone know what the water is like btw Dicks Creek & Standing Indian? Thinking about doing a section hike soon. And who might be around for shuttles?
    Thanks!
    Gadget Legs

I'd like to go nobo so I can hike until I'm ready to quit or run out of time like Tundra said. Wow JR 13...two weeks? I'll have to pack it all if that's the case because I don't have that much time. I think I just gonna drive to Amicalola Falls, park and hike out. Surely between my wife and parents I can get someone to pick me up and take me back to my truck. My wife is navigationally challenged so it would most likely be my parents...who happen to love travel and the mountains and I'm sure would be up for any excuse to take the trip. I mentioned it to them...they are all for the drive but worry about their little boy (almost 40) out in the woods all alone for so long..lol. Think I'm just gonna go for it and rely on their good nature when I need it. Was thinking about starting today, but I'm waiting on some last min items to come in this week. Does anyone know if you really have to ship resupply two weeks in advance? Postal service should have it there in two to three days I would think. There's no absolute shutoff to my window, but I need to get back to making money within two weeks give or take...

And about water...how much should I start with or try to take up with me at sources? I've always worried about water and always ended up carrying way more than I needed. In the past I've carried 4 qts but could have gotten by with two everytime. I've never been on the AT or hiked in September. All my other long hikes have been in early to mid April in Alabama. Should i stick with 4 or is that overkill?

Quote Originally Posted by Cfullerton View Post
    Does anyone know what the water is like btw Dicks Creek & Standing Indian? Thinking about doing a section hike soon. And who might be around for shuttles?
    Thanks!
    Did a screen dump of all the water sources that either had a recent entry or were listed as having water.
    IMG_4738.JPG
    IMG_4739.JPG
    IMG_4740.JPG
    IMG_4741.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Thank you Tundracamper! :-)
    Gadget Legs

What app is that? I have windows phone and can't ever find good apps..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++