WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Katahdin pic

Default Katahdin pic

I hate heights. This pic looks really dangerous. Is it really like this?

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...?i=43749&c=574

Is there another trail to the top that's less precarious and more sympathetic to those of us who don't like heights?

GA-ME 2011
    Images

That's Knifes Edge, the trail that leads north form the Northern Terminus of the AT, Katahdin. It is not part of the AT. The Hunt Trail is the AT trail leading to the summit. It is not as bad as Knifes Edge but has parts that might make someone who doesn't like heights uncomfortable.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Those look like blue blazes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I hate heights. This pic looks really dangerous. Is it really like this?

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...?i=43749&c=574

Is there another trail to the top that's less precarious and more sympathetic to those of us who don't like heights?
    That's Knife's Edge which is not on the A.T. if I'm not mistaken.
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Yes the Saddle trail is lot less visually threatening as its in a ravine with visual clues on each side. I never thought the AT (Hunt trail) was bad for folks with height issues but I took someone who freaked out on it a few years ago. Nowhere near the exposure of Knife Edge.

Does the Visitor's Center or whatever it's called at Katahdin post warnings, pics of precarious sections, or similar notices about these trails? If not, I'd guess there is a definite percentage of hikers who start up the trail, see the cliffs, drop offs, etc., and turn around at that point. If sections of the trails are similar to the picture, then I'll never make it to the top. That's just the way it is. I didn't do Dragon's Tooth, either.

Images

I didn't do Dragon's Tooth, either.
    Nor did I. The Dragon's Tooth isn't part of the AT. Just as the Knife's Edge isn't part of the AT.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

If sections of the trails are similar to the picture, then I'll never make it to the top. That's just the way it is.
    The AT follows the Hunt Trail up Katahdin. I first went up at 6, and have climbed it via that trail 2-3 times a year ever since. My kids all have been up the Hunt several times, starting up age eight. It's a safe trail, up a great mountain.
    But that's us, not you. Go ahead and climb up, and when you get past tree line, make the decision that's best for you.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

I remember the morning I headed up to summit Katahdin, there were lots of thru hikers finishing that day and lots of family members wishing to join them for their finish. One of the first of these family groups I encountered I watched the dad fall backwards down a big rock and land on his back, and this was still below tree line. As a thru hiker, injured or not you become kind of a machine and can pretty much scamper up anything to continue on, but I realized in seeing this man fall down that if in fact you weren't into scrambling, you probably shouldn't be heading up there. I'm not sure I would rate it the most difficult climb on the AT but no cake walk for sure.

I climbed the Knife Edge on Katahdin twice, back in the 1980s. I'm not sure I'd have the nerve to do it again. The AT up Katahdin is much more sedate, though still a workout.

++ New Posts ++