WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sleeping bag/tent

Hi all,

I plan on hiking thru hiking the AT in March.

I was wondering if you guys could give me some good ideas on both.

I'm 6'4.

Thank you.

As per some other current threads . . . get a $5 8x10 poly tarp and a $12.74 Ikea "Tilkort" comforter, then tell us how they all work out over the long-run. They work great on the short run! . . . I'm not actually entirely joking.

Have loads of fun.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Images

Knowing what your budget is would help but since you didn't mention money I won't consider it either.
    I'm going to suggest either a Montbell or Western Mountaineering for a sleeping bag and Tarptent.Com for a tent.
    I suggest them because I have personal experience with those brands and like their products.

Fun times on the WB

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm 6'4 too I got a marmot starlight 2p and really like it. I also got a enlightened equipment quilt. I got that in long and its perfect. What weight are you trying to get your total pack. Because both of these can be big weight saving items.

I'm only 6'2" but find there is heaps of room in the Zpacks Duplex. +1 to the Enlightened Equipment quilt if you have a good pad.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

I'm 6'4" and love the tarptent double rainbow.

I'm 6' 3" and use a Lightheart solong6 which is a little tight with a neo-air pad, if you sleep on a foam pad or any low profile pad you will have lots of room.

You ask 100 people and get 100 different answers, and without knowing your budget they can range from a Walmart poly tarp and sleeping bag up to WM/ZPacks bag/quilt and a Duplex. The difference? About $1200! There are plenty in between.

If you are interested in a quilt Enlightened Equipment would be my suggestion due to the amount of options you have (a semi custom bag)...plus their customer service is AWESOME.

I've heard so many good things about the LHG SoLong for those on a budget, but also Tarptent Stratospire for a lightweight double-wall tent (can use the inner net tent and outer separately good in the rain).

A major thing to consider is how much each item weighs. You will notice that the price goes way up the lighter the item. Get things that are as lite as possible within your budget. For a tent, I like a real tent with a floor that is big enough for me to sit down in to get dressed or eat a meal in that will keep the bugs off. None of those tubes. For sleeping bags I want 2 bags. A 20 degree bag as light weight as I can afford for March April and May, then a 40 degree bag that I can swap out for the heat of the Summer.

Quote Originally Posted by jvojoey View Post
    I was wondering if you guys could give me some good ideas on both.
    I like to hike with one of each. Specially the first 12 months of the year.

Seriously though WM sleeping bags are amazing, if its in your budget. My alpine lite "for me" performs exactly at its prescribed temp rating and then some. Starting in march I wouldnt have any less than a 20* bag, and warm dry clothes to bundle up inside in case temps go into the single digits......and they probably will.

As tents go I have a rainbow from tarptent that Ill never part with. Im 5-8" and have WELL over a foot above my head and plenty of room at my feet. Good luck with your hike!!

Quote Originally Posted by Runsalone View Post

Seriously though WM sleeping bags are amazing, if its in your budget.
    Just to clarify, WM doesn't stand for WalMart in this case. I dang near froze my butt off in a walmart bag. Spend some money on a good bag or quilt. Enlightened Equipment seems to be the best value on quilts.

If a $600 tent is in your budget, check out the offerings from Zpacks. If a $300 tent is your budget, check out the offerings from Tarptent.com

I will be switching from a squall 2 tent (from tarptent) to a Notch (also tarptent)...whenever my budget allows me to.

Many hikers prefer to hike with trekking poles. If you do, choosing a tent that uses trekking poles (instead of its own poles), saves weight.

++ New Posts ++