I'm 39 years old. Maybe it's because 40 is right around the corner. Halftime. Perhaps it has to do with my 45 year old neighbor suddenly passing away this past spring. Recently I was presented with a job opportunity. It's strengths (good leadership and structure) are my current employers weaknesses. But it's weaknesses (12 business trips a year) are my current employers strength (no travel requirement). With a family, I didn't want to be away that much. But in the back of my mind I kept thinking to myself, who cares about either position? Yes, I've reached a level of financial freedom which ironically imprisons me into maintaining my current lifestyle. I work to live, my wife lives to work and therefore she doesn't understand my decision making process. Instead of analyzing the pros and cons of each position, I was thinking in the back of my mind which position would allow me the freedom to squeeze in day hikes. Seriously? Seriously!

Which, in a meandering and anti-streamlined way, leads me to the AT. Recently I've read two books by guys roughly my age who said, 'To hell with normalcy! I'm hiking the AT.' I admire their bravery and desire. I don't think I could do it. But in a way I feel like I've missed out on the golden opportunity to do it when I was young, strong and naive to the ways life can beat you down. On the other hand, I could wait until such a time when little people don't rely on me; when I am weaker in body but with more wisdom and introspection. But then again, waiting for something that I might never get the chance to do?

'Awol on the Appalachian Trail,' and 'On the beaten path,' are good reads. But if you are around 40 years old and sort of like hiking and aren't really career minded, I don't think you should read them. But who knows. If you do, maybe we'll see each other at Springer in March.