WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default Kaiha Bertollini- Real FKT??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K03EFZOmzw

Reporting hitting Pearisburg, VA (1554.5) in 36 days puts her at 43.16 MPD
    So 634.6 to Springer though she says hoping to hit Atkins by the end of the day?
    If so that’s 36 days to Atkins (1645.3) at 45.95 MPD with 543.8 to finish.

Anish is at 54d 7h 48min or 54.5 days and 40.16 MPD average.

Call it the worse of the two above-
    36 days to Pearisburg leaves 18.5 days to finish. That's 34.3 miles per day.

Or flipped the other way- if she held 43 MPD she'd wrap it up in 14.75 days for a total of 50.76 days.

Some quick; but promising math. Keep in mind- though I don't know the details this is the southbound leg of a YO-YO on top of it, so there may be an FKT there as well, if not simply a good story.

This young lady has been a bit difficult to follow from an FKT standpoint… this recent video diary is her first semi-clear cut post regarding her progress that I could find. But as I mentioned on Karl's thread I haven't dug into this much but this recent video caught my attention.

Either way- the cause she is hiking for is something that is noteworthy in my opinion- but that may be an opinion best not discussed here.

However… the times she's posting do warrant some discussion if they prove out.

Perhaps time to take this one more seriously and I'm sure some hits on her site/youtube would be a welcome morale boost if nothing else for a fellow hiker.

Best of Luck regardless of any records on her journey.

http://www.hikeforourlives.org/

Journal Entries

Just Bill... What does FKT mean?
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Fastest known time
    Or a record breaking hike- Heather "Anish" Anderson is the current holder of the overall fastest time.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Fastest known time
    Or a record breaking hike- Heather "Anish" Anderson is the current holder of the overall fastest time.
    OH! Thanks Bill.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

She is hiking to raise awareness for sexual assault, a very real problem in our society.

No SPOT, no running background that we know of, besting Anish by four days....I don't think so. Call me a cynic.

Images

Here is the interesting part...... There has been no mention that I have seen of this attempt and generally word gets out pretty fast especially if she is doing the miles claimed. Is this for real who knows. I am just a bit skeptical that someone is beating Anish by this margin. Could be for real but I hope she has some backup data to support the claim because I doubt many will believe it. But I am getting less interested in FKTs with each passing one.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Green View Post
    No SPOT, no running background that we know of, besting Anish by four days....I don't think so. Call me a cynic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Here is the interesting part...... There has been no mention that I have seen of this attempt and generally word gets out pretty fast especially if she is doing the miles claimed. Is this for real who knows. I am just a bit skeptical that someone is beating Anish by this margin. Could be for real but I hope she has some backup data to support the claim because I doubt many will believe it. But I am getting less interested in FKTs with each passing one.
    agree......

No one seemed to have a problem when Anish beat Matt Kirk's unsupported record last year by 4 days 1 hour and something with little documentation. One of Matt's requirements is that an attempt be THOROUGHLY documented which I don't believe Anish did that's why I have an asterisk next to her name. Now, I'm not saying Anish pulled a Rosie Ruiz but she should have done a lot better job of documenting.
    Thoroughly definition:
    in a thorough manner.
    "he searched the house thoroughly"
    synonyms: rigorously, in depth, exhaustively, minutely, closely, in detail, meticulously, scrupulously, assiduously, conscientiously, painstakingly, methodically, carefully, comprehensively, fully, from A to Z, from soup to nuts

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post
    No one seemed to have a problem when Anish beat Matt Kirk's unsupported record last year by 4 days 1 hour and something with little documentation. One of Matt's requirements is that an attempt be THOROUGHLY documented which I don't believe Anish did that's why I have an asterisk next to her name. Now, I'm not saying Anish pulled a Rosie Ruiz but she should have done a lot better job of documenting.
    Thoroughly definition:
    in a thorough manner.
    synonyms: rigorously, in depth, exhaustively, minutely, closely, in detail, meticulously, scrupulously, assiduously, conscientiously, painstakingly, methodically, carefully, comprehensively, fully, from A to Z, from soup to nuts
    ANish also has walked the walk. Having held the PCT record gave her a bit of credibility. But I also agree that if you want to talk about the record then you have the responsibility to document it. Want to go for a long fast hike without any bother, then don't talk about setting the record. there have been record hikes in the past that just aren't talked about since the holder wasn't really interested in the record, they just did it.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Images

I have been following her on Instagram since before she left Katahdin. I met one of her friends near the Farm Stand North of Rutland. She told me about her hike so I started following. I brought this up on the Speed Goat thread. It was briefly discussed.

Images

Her and Karl have had ideal weather.

Journal Entries

Really dont know anything about it
    But if she didnt declare the attempt properly, the rules she would follow, and document it, it may not pass scrutiny.

The only people she has to convince are other FKT holders, certainly not 99.9% of us.

A large margin over Anish and Matt Kirk would be highly suspicious.

Emaciated, she dont appear. Which is also unexpected on a hike of that sort. Especially a yoyo.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-14-2016 at 21:17.

Images

How many days did Anish better the PCT record?

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Fastest known time
    She actually has a chance at breaking the overall FNT.

http://appalachiantrials.com/hiking-...ult-awareness/

ANish also has walked the walk. Having held the PCT record gave her a bit of credibility. But I also agree that if you want to talk about the record then you have the responsibility to document it. Want to go for a long fast hike without any bother, then don't talk about setting the record. there have been record hikes in the past that just aren't talked about since the holder wasn't really interested in the record, they just did it.

She very well may have documentation.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post
    Thoroughly definition:
    in a thorough manner.
    Anish intentionally kept a semi-low profile on her A.T. speed hike. She had had problems the year before on her PCT record hike where people were tracking her down both to meet her and to offer her stuff, which was causing problems for her unsupported hike and she stated from the beginning that she didn't want that to happen again. I thought that her hike updates which she posted to instagram/facebook during her A.T. hike were fairly consistent, she just did not post them live in order to not reveal her location in real time. I am also under the impression that she had more documentation that what was made public while she was on trail, though I could be mistaken. Either way, as Muddywaters said, if the other FKT holders are comfortable that the record was broken, than that says more than enough for me.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 09-14-2016 at 22:50.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Call me a sceptical old B but the photo of her at the ATC at Harpers Ferry does not look like someone that has been hiking 43+miles or 70kms a day for around 30 days. Having been involved with someone recently did those length days for over 70 days by the halfway point he was looking very thin and that was a supported event where he had huge amounts of food he wasn't carrying.

Her video log is very confusing and I have not been able to find any reference to her by anyone I was following on either youtube or trail journals. Also not carrying a gps so how do you prove you did the miles.

Could be legit but I'm not seeing it.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

[QUOTE=Sly;2092323]She actually has a chance at breaking the overall FNT.

That just makes this even more far fetched.

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    Call me a sceptical old B but the photo of her at the ATC at Harpers Ferry does not look like someone that has been hiking 43+miles or 70kms a day for around 30 days. Having been involved with someone recently did those length days for over 70 days by the halfway point he was looking very thin and that was a supported event where he had huge amounts of food he wasn't carrying.

Her video log is very confusing and I have not been able to find any reference to her by anyone I was following on either youtube or trail journals. Also not carrying a gps so how do you prove you did the miles.

Could be legit but I'm not seeing it.
    men and women dont starve to death at the same rate. Men will turn to skin and bones and die off before women lose any weight. They stubbornly cling to a layer of fat. It makes women more likely to survive famine. Women are necessary for the propogation of the species. A group of women only need one man to father future generations. Hence, why we die off so quickly. In famine, a dead man is one less mouth to feed. Men are expendable, females are a requirement.

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++