WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Anish intentionally kept a semi-low profile on her A.T. speed hike. She had had problems the year before on her PCT record hike where people were tracking her down both to meet her and to offer her stuff, which was causing problems for her unsupported hike and she stated from the beginning that she didn't want that to happen again. I thought that her hike updates which she posted to instagram/facebook during her A.T. hike were fairly consistent, she just did not post them live in order to not reveal her location in real time. I am also under the impression that she had more documentation that what was made public while she was on trail, though I could be mistaken. Either way, as Muddywaters said, if the other FKT holders are comfortable that the record was broken, than that says more than enough for me.
    Anish definitely carried a SPOT device, and I've seen references to her having released the data at some point after the hike, though I've never found it posted.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    men and women dont starve to death at the same rate. Men will turn to skin and bones and die off before women lose any weight. They stubbornly cling to a layer of fat. It makes women more likely to survive famine. Women are necessary for the propogation of the species. A group of women only need one man to father future generations. Hence, why we die off so quickly. In famine, a dead man is one less mouth to feed. Men are expendable, females are a requirement.
    Yar- While Matt Kirk was one scrawny collection of bones and tendons, Jurek was looking quite sharp, and the average male NOBO looks a fair bit hard ridden; the same does not happen for women. In fact most women generally feel they look the best they ever have in their whole lives.

We all know the basic joke; Men lose weight and women move it around.

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post
    No one seemed to have a problem when Anish beat Matt Kirk's unsupported record last year by 4 days 1 hour and something with little documentation. One of Matt's requirements is that an attempt be THOROUGHLY documented which I don't believe Anish did that's why I have an asterisk next to her name. Now, I'm not saying Anish pulled a Rosie Ruiz but she should have done a lot better job of documenting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    ANish also has walked the walk. Having held the PCT record gave her a bit of credibility. But I also agree that if you want to talk about the record then you have the responsibility to document it. Want to go for a long fast hike without any bother, then don't talk about setting the record.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Anish intentionally kept a semi-low profile on her A.T. speed hike. She had had problems the year before on her PCT record hike where people were tracking her down both to meet her and to offer her stuff, which was causing problems for her unsupported hike and she stated from the beginning that she didn't want that to happen again.
    There are some folks who have a problem with the lack of documentation from her hike. As well as the quiet omission of the line regarding honest and through documentation.
    More or less; Matt's rules come from Williamson. The general standard is to meet or improve upon those who went before you. In failing to document and include that stipulation in her "rules" there have already been a few folks who have cut and pasted her rules.

Anish does have a reputation card that she can slap on the table, it holds some pretty high value. But the "next up" likely won't or doesn't. So in not documenting she sets a poor precedent for those that follow.

There is no real serious debate on if Heather did what she said. Nobody really looking to strip her of the record- just looking to hold her to the same standards as all who came before her, so that those who come after maintain the level of honesty and integrity critical to this type of claim.

I was (at least here) perhaps one of the more vocal supporters or even ******** about respecting her privacy during the hike. I very much admire the style she used overall and think for an unsupported effort that the general push towards "just you and trail" should be respected or even honored.

But... it's been a year. Perhaps Kaiha will make it a moot point. Or now that this record is known perhaps simply the next "next up" will.
    If not however, as many have pointed out- claim your record and follow the rules.

If nothing else-
    On a personal level, it bugs me that Joey Camps put his heart on the line just as much as Anish did. He got a ride to the hospital for an x-ray of a potentially broken foot, took a zero and then some... still came back and finished the trail faster than the fella before him. To anyone else; that's not simply badass, that's courage, heart and determination beyond what most have. That's what an FKT, an inspirational human achievement, is all about.

So when a fella like that steps aside for rules he wasn't even fully aware of... it grates me a bit when someone who knows better doesn't follow the same set of rules but claims the record regardless.

On a slightly more positive note:
    I used all my internet ability and got in touch with Jenny from Hikeforourlives. (I pressed the FB button and there she was).

I asked her for some more details and hope to have something to share.

Initial thought- this isn't total BS. Even if it's not a perfect FKT, or one at all... this is very similar to Joey's story... or even Ward's.

When you claiming to be the fastest person to hike the AT is goes with some scrutiny. Apparently Miss Wild Card Ninja kept a trailjournal for a short time in January which has some very interesting poetry and insight into her thinking.

As far as her credibility goes the first thing that comes up if you google her name is this incident in Atlanta a few years back. I don't hold this against her as none of us are angels.

As far as her cause for the hike I see the donate button is a direct link to a paypal account in her name only. She openly admits the money is for her hike.

There are more ytube videos if you look.

I think hiking is very good for this young lady. She needs to do a lot of walking.

Yar, bit tough for all of us to debate it fairly without being personal.

A FKT is by it's very nature, a public thing. Unfortunately that comes subject to some scrutiny of you personally, while we all try to be hopefully respectful of each other as fellow hikers first.
    There are many inspirational stories out there, far more impactful of the community as a whole than any speedhike can ever be.

FKT is meant to simply be "just the facts" and a level ground for folks who wish to compete with themselves and each other. It's not meant to be personal, but that's unavoidable.

For those truly inspirational folks, the records are simply a footnote in a bigger story.

Anish has a very big story worth telling outside the black and white world of a record.

http://runhikelivelove.blogspot.com/.../realness.html

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    If nothing else-
    On a personal level, it bugs me that Joey Camps put his heart on the line just as much as Anish did. He got a ride to the hospital for an x-ray of a potentially broken foot, took a zero and then some... still came back and finished the trail faster than the fella before him. To anyone else; that's not simply badass, that's courage, heart and determination beyond what most have. That's what an FKT, an inspirational human achievement, is all about.

So when a fella like that steps aside for rules he wasn't even fully aware of... it grates me a bit when someone who knows better doesn't follow the same set of rules but claims the record regardless.
    +1 to this
    Last edited by Farr Away; 09-20-2016 at 12:40.

I have heard a bit more... but nothing firm I can share as of yet.

Nor do I wish to take a side either way. Her cause is a good one.

It sounds that things will wrap up for her hike in the very near future... and it may be an interesting one yet.

Any updates on this? Today was the projected finish.

Well if she finishes today, or before 10:22am tomorrow, she'd be coming in under Karl's time if her post on the fkt.proboards is accurate, suggesting she started 2 days after Karl on August 5th (post says 28/8 was her 23rd day on trail).

Don't know how to edit. But if this checks out then she's finished, and broken Karls time.

https://www.facebook.com/kaihab/posts/10208716705292223

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by MrClahn View Post
    Don't know how to edit. But if this checks out then she's finished, and broken Karls time.

https://www.facebook.com/kaihab/posts/10208716705292223
    "Time 4:50:16 pm September 18, 2016. That is 45 days 6 hours and 28 minutes, The fastest recorded time ever to walk the 2,189 miles stretch of the Appalachian Trail. I will need everyone who has seen me hike and I met out there to please post to your fb and blogs that you have. I hear getting it legitimized is a process and I need your help..."

It sounds more like she's interested in validating this so-called "record" (and thus herself) than she is to raise awareness for any kind of cause. The mugshot online proves to me she isn't exactly the honest sort. I'm sorry: but I too am a non-believer.

Ignoring the mugshot. This year alone, 2 people have been called out for questionable attempts on records (robert young, run across america), or for out right trying to fake an fkt (Mark Vaz, John O Groats to Lands End). There's reason enough to be cynical, and that's before you add to the fact her claim to have bested some of the most accomplished endurance athletes of all time without an real proof.

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by MrClahn View Post
    Ignoring the mugshot. This year alone, 2 people have been called out for questionable attempts on records (robert young, run across america), or for out right trying to fake an fkt (Mark Vaz, John O Groats to Lands End). There's reason enough to be cynical, and that's before you add to the fact her claim to have bested some of the most accomplished endurance athletes of all time without an real proof.
    Yep, another Rosie Ruiz. Funny that she traveled alone much of the time, while Karl (et al) surrounded himself with help.

Poor girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
    Yep, another Rosie Ruiz. Funny that she traveled alone much of the time, while Karl (et al) surrounded himself with help.
    On both of Anish's hike she was alone, i'm sure the same was true of Matt Kirk, Scott Williamson and countless others who went unsupported. They just had more proof. And Anish did best the supported FKT on her PCT hike as well, so it's not completely unheard off for an unsupported to better a supported attempt. But that's never really been true on the AT since support can do a lot more than it can on the PCT.

Journal Entries
    Images

Anyone that listens to Just Bill's analysis on Anything to do with running or speed hiking..I have a number for a nice doctor to help you...
    !8 Hours before Sppedgoat and on his pace..2 days after..Ask Karls crew did they see her often...LOL
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

It's unlikely they would have seen her at all, considering they were running similar paces a day apart.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Any updates on this? Today was the projected finish.
    So... just heard of this too on facebook. I wasn't being very savvy and it was pointed out to me that there is more information available on the hike for our lives facebook page, which I had not previously seen.

I was in contact with Jenny from the organization last on Saturday and then went out for a hang with the hammock forums folks round here and have not heard back.

I have some personal connection to their cause via a family member who experienced something very similar; so I'd like to remain open minded for that reason as I think their cause to raise awareness and discuss sexual assault more openly is a good one.

I originally reached out when this last came up as the Appalachian Trials interview said something about not having a spot/GPS and not being able to claim a record as a result. I told them that a GPS was not required and there are methods to document and record your hike that do not require GPS. In fact, Anish has never shared or posted any GPS data or detailed trip report- which opens the door for off-hand claims as well- but I shared that as from the article it appeared that she was hiking as fast as she could regardless and I thought it was a nice bit of good news to share in the homestretch.. However I am also surprised that the overall time has been claimed.

I have no idea of the validity, she has no history on the trail that I am aware of. Neither did Joey Camps. Brett Maune was relatively unknown when he made his JMT claim, and it was only years of exemplary performances and Barkley Marathon wins that finally proved his case. This is a very big claim to make though.

It does appear that she started hiking sometime in January from VA, went south, then north again. I was told she hitched from Andover to Katahdin to begin the southbound portion. So she was on trail for 2000 ish miles prior to even starting this hike if my limited knowledge is true.

So believe or not- I'm not the WB or internet police as I have been reminded before...but about all I could say is to keep it respectful.
    If nothing else, as a US Military Veteran and fellow AT hiker- she does deserve some respect from all of us personally.

I'll remain neutral and at least give them a chance to present a claim.
    True trail magic does happen on the AT... time will tell if this is tall tale or legend.

I witnessed her start her sobo on August 4th. Unless she went back into the park after that to get a better time.

Images

There is NFW she did an unsupported trip and beat a two world class veteran runners while carrying all of gear. Beating Anish would have been a big enough tale but this is beyond ridiculous which is why it has almost no coverage.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++