WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default CT segments 7-8 too cold starting Sept 21st?

Had planned on about 50 miles on the CT in segments 7-8 starting next week but I'm seeing photos of the ski resorts throughout the area already getting snow. Will it be too cold? I always hear the CT is generally good through parts of October but now I'm getting a little worried. Any thoughts from those really familiar with the trail this time of year?

Images

Some of our very best weather is in September and up to about mid October. HOW long have you lived in Denver?????

Sure, there is always the possibility of high altitude snow in Colorado (even in July and August), but it is generally dry, powdery stuff and doesn't accumulate much well into October. Ski areas start MAKING snow just as soon as night time temperatures allow this, but they don't accumulate natural snow this early.

No offense, but you must be new to this area, I suppose why your asking this question. 50 miles of the CT next week should be just about perfect! Enjoy!
    Last edited by colorado_rob; 09-15-2016 at 15:59.

These two segments can experience exceptionally fine 4th wk of Sept hiking weather but keep an eye on the forecast the closer you get to your Sept 21 start date. Segments 7 & 8 combined are something like a 40 mile hike with significant roller coasting. Two 12 K ft elevation locations I'd be having an eye on is the short mileage section atop the Tenmile Range(Ridge Crest) in Segment 7 which isn't all that long and Elk Ridge between Searle and Kokomo Passes. Elk Ridge is above treelike with exposure. Best thing these two segments have multiple bail out locations, have public buses serving the TH's, and with ample opportunity to wait it out OR even do a slack pack especially across the Ten Mile Range between Gold Hill and Copper MT Resort. And, like Rob said just because you see snow at Breck or Copper Mt Ski resorts know they make snow. Both at the beginning and end of these segments there are hostels in Breck and down Tennessee pass in Lville. In the middle you have Copper Mt. Lots of logistical ways to hike these two segments.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Some of our very best weather is in September and up to about mid October. HOW long have you lived in Denver?????

Sure, there is always the possibility of high altitude snow in Colorado (even in July and August), but it is generally dry, powdery stuff and doesn't accumulate much well into October. Ski areas start MAKING snow just as soon as night time temperatures allow this, but they don't accumulate natural snow this early.

No offense, but you must be new to this area, I suppose why your asking this question. 50 miles of the CT next week should be just about perfect! Enjoy!
    No offense taken. I've been in Denver for a year (originally from the east coast - hundreds of miles under my belt on the AT). didn't hike this late on the CT last year. Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by bpowell1014; 09-15-2016 at 17:57.

Excellent info. Very grateful for the time you spent writing this out. Thanks again.

If a flat lander isn't skeered of lil snow...come on. Take off your kilt! Don't be a !!! I'm hoping for a LiL dusting.....can't wait til the 19! Hell as long as this wait felt I'd probably go with in a blizzard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Dogwood on accessibility of this section, possible bailouts, and flexibility. I hiked the CT in August two years ago. The section between Searle and Kokomo passes was one of my favorites.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bpowell1014 View Post
    No offense taken. I've been in Denver for a year (originally from the east coast - hundreds of miles under my belt on the AT). didn't hike this late on the CT last year. Thanks for the info.
    enjoy Colorado! Done any 14ers yet? September is THE best month for them, lots of easy ones near Denver (Bierstadt, Grays/Torreys, Democrat/Lincoln/Bross, Quandary). back in 2012, our mountain club (cmc.org) organized a day where we'd try to summit all 55 14ers in one day, September 12th springs to mind (again, best time of year). We did it; we put a club group on the summit of all the 14ers in a single day (except the two that are on private land, where we didn't get the requisite permissions).

BTW, the weather forecast is sure looking stellar for early next week, not that you should believe it at this point (too early to be reliable).

Enjoy 7/8, as coffee said, nice sections! I just hiked them in late August. you walk right by a couple nice pubs at Copper. Expensive, but tasty.

BTW CT Segments 7 & 8 cojoin the CDT. I've encountered SOBO CDTers on these segments in late OCT but that's pushing the window but hey they came this far south already so…..I remember as a SOBO CDTer in 2010 going through here third wk of Oct after dilly dallying up north a lot. Yes, there was snow and certainly further south before getting out of CO and to Chama NM. I haven't seen all of Bearcreek's maps but if Mags is recommending them they are worth a look. Jonathan Ley's CDT map set depicts these two segments well with his usual addition of timely in the know notes added to the topos for segments 7 & 8.

I was in that area last week and it was getting very cold in the mornings. One fellow I meet said he saw 19 degrees at a campsite I was at the night before (10 miles from Breckenridge and at about 10,000 feet) and thought it was pretty cold when I got up. But by noon it was hot again. I found the temperature swings were really big up there, or at least it felt that way. In the morning I had everything I owned on, then in the late morning I was down to a T-shirt again.

The forecast for earlier this week was for rain and light snow at high elevations and not wanting to risk that I decided to go home instead as I was marginally prepared for nasty weather. Anyway, I was having a hard time breathing at 12,000 feet.

You can take a $12 bus from down town Denver to Frisco (and is one heck of a ride across the divide). On the south side of Frisco there is a trail called "the Peaks" trail which will connect you to the CT/CDT in 4 miles, and goes gently up hill along a river. (its a much nicer walk then from the CT trail head on RT 9) About 1/2 mile south from the CT/Peaks trail junction there is a nice campsite with water. Watch out for mountain bikers, they can sneak up on you with little or no warning.

Then there is a long, slow climb up to over 12,000 feet which is exposed. Expect lots of sun and wind. I would expect similar conditions from Copper to Leadville. I'd hate to be up there in any kind of inclement weather. From Leadville you can get a free bus back to Frisco and then take the $12 Bus back to Denver.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I was in that area last week and it was getting very cold in the mornings. One fellow I meet said he saw 19 degrees at a campsite I was at the night before (10 miles from Breckenridge and at about 10,000 feet) and thought it was pretty cold when I got up. But by noon it was hot again. I found the temperature swings were really big up there, or at least it felt that way. In the morning I had everything I owned on, then in the late morning I was down to a T-shirt again.

The forecast for earlier this week was for rain and light snow at high elevations and not wanting to risk that I decided to go home instead as I was marginally prepared for nasty weather. Anyway, I was having a hard time breathing at 12,000 feet.

You can take a $12 bus from down town Denver to Frisco (and is one heck of a ride across the divide). On the south side of Frisco there is a trail called "the Peaks" trail which will connect you to the CT/CDT in 4 miles, and goes gently up hill along a river. (its a much nicer walk then from the CT trail head on RT 9) About 1/2 mile south from the CT/Peaks trail junction there is a nice campsite with water. Watch out for mountain bikers, they can sneak up on you with little or no warning.

Then there is a long, slow climb up to over 12,000 feet which is exposed. Expect lots of sun and wind. I would expect similar conditions from Copper to Leadville. I'd hate to be up there in any kind of inclement weather. From Leadville you can get a free bus back to Frisco and then take the $12 Bus back to Denver.
    with due respect, those huge temperature swings in the Colorado high country should be known and understood by all who visit. as the summer wanes, they get even more pronounced. It's simple physics; there is much less of an "air blanket" holding in the day's heat, so more escapes at night.

Someone on here or a similar thread mentioned "cowboy camping" along the CT. Works great in the summer, late summer, not so much. If you tried to cowboy camp starting right about now, and it was a clear night, your sleeping bag top would likely be a popsicle in the morning. the atmosphere also blocks radiant heat transfer.... less air, less blockage. Your sleeping bag top could frost over easily in 40 degree low temps, imagine what it would do at 20. that simple tent (or tarp) layer over you adds a lot of warmth.

Lesson learned here is to take plenty of warm "camp clothes" for the morning. I always carry a lightweight down sweater in Colorado, and even a second insulating layer this time of year.

One more thing, noticed earlier today: the aspen are coming out gloriously now, should be prime over the next couple of weeks. Nothing compared to the brilliant reds/yellows/oranges of the harwood forests back east, but still, rather pleasant to wander through.

Great info on those shuttle costs! And sorry you didn't acclimate well enough to continue, slo.

Good post. That was probably me mentioning cowboy camping. That did exactly happen…ONCE. Then the bivy came out which helped. I also alleviated the effect by choosing to camp/cowboy/bivy adjacent to large boulders.

++ New Posts ++