WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Hanging Food

Default Hanging Food

Do you hang your food if it is the pre-packaged freeze dried variety like Mary Janes, Mtn House, etc?

Obviously will hang tortillas, almonds, etc and any other hum,an scent things.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

It's easier to keep all my food in the food bag. Many of those food wrappers are more porous than you think, and many of the mini-bears have learnt, odor notwithstanding, that ripping open a foil package is likely to yield a treat.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Yes. Hang all of your food and smellables if you are hanging anything.

If I hang my food, then I just hang all of it...no point in separating it. I think FD packaged food are less of a risk for smells since they are packaged to last perfectly for 10+ years and have to be sealed extremely well for that. In more remote places I think this is less of a problem, but on the AT I think the mice have learned what foil packets are!

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Default Hanging Food

I hang anything and everything with an odor. Toothpaste camp soap food, regardless of packaging cooking gear...etc. And for those "sleep using your food bag as a pillow because everyone they know who lost their food were hangers" preachers, out of many nights in the woods the ONLY time I had a food bag tampered with was the ONE lazy night I left it in the shelter. Enough said.

Yes, yes and yes hang it all and hang it right, a half ass hang is an easy target for a bear.

So okay, you eat a big dinner and then hang up all the food. What about the couple lbs of food you sleep with in your stomach????

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I sleep with my food unless I'm around people who hang, then I will just to avoid any problems but I go out of my way not to camp with people so it's never really a problem.

I've noticed that when food bags are stolen they tend to from being hung improperly.

I hang everything (PCT method) when there is a suitable tree and branch and sleep with my food when not. A bad hang is much worse than no hang at all IMO. I use aloksak "odor resistant" bags, within a zPacks food bag. I've never had a problem.

Journal Entries
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I sleep with my food unless I'm around people who hang, then I will just to avoid any problems but I go out of my way not to camp with people so it's never really a problem.

I've noticed that when food bags are stolen they tend to from being hung improperly.
    Since you are alone on this thread for sleeping with your food, I will confirm that I do the same, and hang only if everyone else hangs and looks at me with a "what's the matter with you" look.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    So okay, you eat a big dinner and then hang up all the food. What about the couple lbs of food you sleep with in your stomach????
    Bears don't like haggis...

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    If it comes to the point where that makes a problem, it doesn't really matter if you ate at all.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Since you are alone on this thread for sleeping with your food, I will confirm that I do the same, and hang only if everyone else hangs and looks at me with a "what's the matter with you" look.
    Well I also sleep with my food and always have. 38 years and still counting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Don't hang any of it, use it for a pillow.

I sleep with my food as well when I cannot find a good tree for a hang. I sleep *better* when my food is not with me but I do sleep with my food when it makes sense to and is legal to do so.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Don't hang any of it, use it for a pillow.
    I am always conflicted when people respond to questions like this and advocate sleeping with their food. Even though I usually sleep with my food as well, I see it as somewhat of an advanced technique.

From my observation one of the biggest benefits to bear bagging is that it teaches people to have a clean campsite free of garbage or scattered food and to keep close track of their items that might attract wildlife. Keeping a bear bag is an ideal way for people to learn this initially. In addition, I think everyone should know how to setup a correct PCT bear bag hang, it is something that I still use any time I know I'm entering an area with a known bear issue. Plus it's useful to know for the rare occasion when someone walks up to me in camp with a bear bag and a rope and asks "How do I use this thing?"

Just my $0.02
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post

i only been doin' it 31 years. you the master

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i only been doin' it 31 years. you the master
    Yea but you've done it for many more miles which translates into many, many more nights.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

++ New Posts ++