WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SORUCK '06 Weather Report

According to Weather.com, Bryson City is expecting a low of 21 on Saturday and a high of 44 with NW winds at 22 MPH and possible snow showers.

Anybody planning on attending the SORUCK and hiking Saturday morning might want to carefully consider their attire. Wesser Bald is at 4627' which is considerably higher than Bryson City. The morning hike is also scheduled to depart 12 minutes before sunrise.

In other words.... Brrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

I'm coming. I'm gonna lead the blue-blaze hike down the Wesser Creek Trail (old AT route).

I'm 50/50 on this. Depends on the weather. IF we get wet cold rain (which I expect) you can count me O U T

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

I'm sort of the same opinion, I may just hang around the NOC and be annoying....btw what are the rules in regards to beverages?
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Images

Looks as if there's going to be plenty going on indoors, too. A lot of good DVDs on the schedule for Saturday morning. Figuring out which thing to do is going to be tough.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by Almost There
    I'm sort of the same opinion, I may just hang around the NOC and be annoying....btw what are the rules in regards to beverages?
    Consult the SORUCK website for exact details. It is permitted in certain areas as long as its done responsibly.

Alcohol is allowed in the communal area but cannot be left in the refridgerators in case minors are around. This is NOC policy.

I think NOC asks no adult beverages in the communal buildings. We'll see if the sign's still there when we get there. As far as I'm concerned, just be cool and everything will be fine.

Hey, I had a double bed open up in a room in cabin D. "The quiet cabin" The couple can't make it and the room is shared with a single in the loft. If anyone wants it, let me know asap.

$64 for Friday and Saturday. First come, 1st serve.

Speaking of weather, I think we've had two record high days in a row. Don't put all your faith in the forecast.

Expect awesome weather, just be prepared for blustery conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by Sly
    Expect awesome weather, just be prepared for blustery conditions!
    To this Damn Yankee, awesme weather is snow and blustery conditions.

If anyone wants to borrow a pair of treking poles to see what it's like to hike with 'em, drop me a PM no later than Thursday and I'll bring along a pair or two.

Yeah I know, most of my most memorable times on the trail have been in storms and/or high winds!

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    I'm coming. I'm gonna lead the blue-blaze hike down the Wesser Creek Trail (old AT route).
    Thanks again for telling us about that trail in 02 LW, ramps everywhere, dozens of little waterfalls and the cabins were sweet.... and!, I made record time on that road walk into Wesser!

Mmmmmmm, ramps. Sounds like a great time!
    ad astra per aspera

i was hoping to get a pair of trekking poles this weekend (if people are selling gear). I've never used any.

I should try to do one of those hikes. Wife and kids will be out of town, i hope i don't get lazy and sleep all day!

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Sly, Let me know if that room in the cabin is still open, right now I have reservations in the communal area, but would rather be in the cabin if possible.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Sly, Let me know if that room in the cabin is still open, right now I have reservations in the communal area, but would rather be in the cabin if possible.
    Sorry AT, but the room has been taken. If another opens up I'll let you know.

AlmostTHere, check with the NOC office when you get there. I'm sure there will be a cancel and you can get in.

Quote Originally Posted by timhines
    AlmostTHere, check with the NOC office when you get there. I'm sure there will be a cancel and you can get in.
    He already has a place to stay through the NOC office.

The rooms I'm talking about are part of 40 spots in cabins C and D not even mentioned on the SoRuck website which were pre-paid for by myself and another. All those rooms were grabbed up months ago and paid for in turn. A few folks have had to cancel, so I'm just trying to fill the vacancies and re-coup their money.

hehe, i'm familiar with the NOC. My Grandmother started working there the year they opened. I grew up there!

I'm sure they are "sold out," but the early bird that checks in with the office will most likely get a room in a cabin instead of a "bunkhouse."

Quote Originally Posted by Smile
    Mmmmmmm, ramps. Sounds like a great time!
    ramp diggen will be startin around here about mid March

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++