WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Yep, toothpaste is NOT needed for good dental hygiene. If you are concerned about freshening your breath, carry some small breath mints and you get the best of both worlds, no toothpaste mess (saves weight too) and fresh breath (doesn't save weight).
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

We could drift even further and get into why toilet paper is pointless as well. . . but let's not.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    We could drift even further and get into why toilet paper is pointless as well. . . but let's not.
    Thank you for skipping that mess

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    So here's one more LNT issue to consider: Toothpaste. I tend to use a very tiny amount when on trail and I often swallow rather than spit, but not always. On one occasion this year, I had stomach trouble after swallowing a small amount of toothpaste. If I have to spit, I make a small hole away from trail, water, and campsites and fill over with dirt. What does everyone else do?
    The same thing that I do with other greywater. Down a cathole or disperse widely, according to the recommendation of the land manager. If you hear a PTHTHTHTHTH! from me after dinner, it's me getting rid of rinse water from brushing my teeth.

I don't swallow toothpaste.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I don't understand the problem here. My total packaging waste for a three or four day hike fits into a ziploc sandwich bag. Maybe an ounce total weight, if that. But then, I'm not cooking elaborate meals, just the usual hiker junk -- Knorr noodles, ramen, maybe a Mountain House meal, Larabar wrappers, the wrapper from a block of cheese, a stick of pepperoni or salami, and a few used teabags.

The first reply from Coffee is also what I do. Washing hands with soap would not really be a concern wrt LNT or environmental impact. This assumes you use natural unscented soap and are washing away from a water source - no soap in streams and lakes. I use a sliver of Ivory soap. It is natural, biodegradable, and unscented. The small amount you use dispersed in the woods would not have an impact. Furthermore, it really isn't relevant wrt the cook in pot vs FBC question as I would be washing my hands before I eat regardless of which method I use anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    So here's one more LNT issue to consider: Toothpaste. I tend to use a very tiny amount when on trail and I often swallow rather than spit, but not always. On one occasion this year, I had stomach trouble after swallowing a small amount of toothpaste. If I have to spit, I make a small hole away from trail, water, and campsites and fill over with dirt. What does everyone else do?
    always a spitter, never a swallower.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    I don't understand the problem here. My total packaging waste for a three or four day hike fits into a ziploc sandwich bag. Maybe an ounce total weight, if that. But then, I'm not cooking elaborate meals, just the usual hiker junk -- Knorr noodles, ramen, maybe a Mountain House meal, Larabar wrappers, the wrapper from a block of cheese, a stick of pepperoni or salami, and a few used teabags.
    Your'e forgetting all your used TP and tampon waste too.

I like doc bronners... especially the peppermint in the summer as it leaves you feeling cooler.

But curious with all the ivory soap mentions if any of you are shaving/grating soap?
    In scouts we used a tater peeler and bars of ivory to make single serve "bars" so we didn't have to store a wet or partial bar. Seemed to work about right when we shaved the end of the bar (not the length) bout 1/2" wide, tater peel thick and 2-3" if I remember right. It was usually enough to hit your hands, face, and clean up your personal mess kit at the end of the day.

We always used joy/dawn to clean the group cook kits with the old blue sponge... then we'd just boil the sponge every few days to keep it from getting funky. (or mainly to keep one overprotective and mildly anal dad happy, lol)

We tried a cheese grater too but that didn't work out as well (tended to drop/lose/waste it). But I suppose there are those who still like the powdered soaps?

While we're on the subject... anyone here "dehydrate" doc bronners? Or basically concentrate it a bit better... seems like the newer formula is a bit more watery than of old and it's not as easy to get that one drop or two as it used to be. Problem is I'd just cook off all the peppermint oil I so recently touted if I cared to try to fix it by reducing it on the stove.

Anywho... the discussion triggered a memory and I was curious if it was just us wack jobs or others had any similar experiments/experience.

I repackage Bronners into a visine bottle, easy to get drops.

Hi
    I am going to use the freezer bag method also, if no hot water
    can always eat cold. I have read that ziplock bags do not release chemicals when burned.

Baking soda and coconut oil mixed, makes your teeth feel new!
    and kills bacteria

Quote Originally Posted by June Quinn View Post
    Baking soda and coconut oil mixed, makes your teeth feel new!
    and kills bacteria
    Do you have a citation for that from a reliable source? Because I don't think that's true (about killing bacteria).
    w/r/t dental health, toothpaste, etc., I would recommend asking for advice from a board-certified dentist.

I always have worried about boiling water leaching chemicals out of plastic bags, so I don't use freezer bags. The trash issue of multiple used bags with some food remnants in them is also a concern. Instead, I cook in and eat out of my pot. I use a cozy after heating water and adding dry ingredients, so that I don't waste fuel on any simmering steps; this also means no food is burned onto the bottom of the pot as water is absorbed by my dry food; the cozy also helps keep the food hot while I eat it. When done, I never use soap. Instead, I swish a small amount of water around and resuspend any food particles with my spoon and/or finger and drink the "soup". If need be I do this more than once until the pot looks clean. I dry it with a bandana and put it away. This bandana I keep with my food but periodically I wash it out and dry it.

I've been doing this for >15 years over >2500 trail miles with no ill effects. Just an alternative to consider and try if you like.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Images

Quote Originally Posted by June Quinn View Post
    Hi
    I am going to use the freezer bag method also, if no hot water
    can always eat cold. I have read that ziplock bags do not release chemicals when burned.
    when BURNED all plastics release chemicals. not so when adding hot water.

Burning a ziplock bag on a hot fire is the equivalent to burning any fossil fuel which like plastics and wood also release chemicals. Not so with PVC which puts out dioxins and other nasties. Even though its quite easy to tell the difference between polyethylene and PVC (polyvinyl chloride) many folks seem to confuse the difference either out of ignorance or intentionally. Burn a wet ziplock full of goop on a set of coals and its going to smell like burning plastic just like burning wood at too low of temp is going to be a stinky experience. Use common sense and its not a significant environmental issue, feel free to do if for some other reason but the typical hiker has far worse environmental sins to worry about like turning on a light bulb supplied with coal fired power.

US Forest Service on burning trash (including plastic bags): http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/pdfpub...2327dpi300.pdf

Pack it out.

Personally, I wouldn't cook meals in a ziploc. They are not designed to withstand hot temperatures. Some years ago I contacted the company about this and they advised against it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You won't find floating oatmeal in my coffee. I use a drop or two on Doc Bonners and broadcast.

I also freezer bag cook and pack out.

...and not for nuthin' once the ground was so froze I carried a #2 30 miles to its final rest place, but not because I was being eco...I forgot it was there.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++