WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

sorry, in my tears I mis-spelled hearts!

Section Hiking to Maine. little bear's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by khaynie
    Sorry if there is confusion over politics or gun choices. I personally know the difference between an AK-47 and a 30.06, but that's not the point, nor the point I was trying to convey. The real tragedy here are the victims. My earlier comments were in a response to Wookie's idea that had the Republicans not been in power this "sicko", the shooter, wouldn't have had an oppurtunity to get his hands on an assault rifle and this crime could have been prevented. My internal BS flag went up so I felt my first response was necessary albeit inappropriate or appropriate. I should have realized that asking "what's the difference" between anything on this site brings out an array of experts. I guess this thread isn't one for open ended questions. I'll try to do better.
    I was picking on you, I was just saying in general. But I know about weapons as well. Currently I am a Patrol Sergeant with a Police Dept, and before that I served in The United States Marine Corps. All I was getting at was we lost two hikers, two people how had went into the woods to try to get away from that violence.

Section Hiking to Maine. little bear's Avatar
    Images

that should have been not picking on you

Images

Quote Originally Posted by little bear
    that should have been not picking on you
    No offense taken. Just clarifying a few points. Unlike some, I don't wear my feelings on my sleeves. Happy trails!

tideblazer
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AdelitaDB

Some sick kid, seriously ill for many years, let out of the system to harm the public yet again. This time tearing into the hearts, souls, dreams....there are no words. I am still in shock, but angry and hurt. Saddened that you would prefer to turn her death into a political battle that my United States Constitution says should not even be an issue here.
    Go back and re-read my post. I'm not against the right to bear arms. I like guns.

I just think AK-47s are a bit excessive.

The issue tears me up too. Especially since it happened to such great-sounding victims.

This is not about politics. I'm not a liberal anyway. I just think for myself, so it seems that way.

And I think legalizing assault rifles was a big mistake, and we are seeing the consequences.
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Although I partially agree with you Wookie, I don't think making the assault rifles illegal would have made a difference as people who WANT to use them and do terrible deeds such as this, would still be able to find/purchase/make or steal these weapons...

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AdelitaDB
    ....Saddened that you would prefer to turn her death into a political battle that my United States Constitution says should not even be an issue here.
    I share the shock and hopelessness over these senseless murders. I don't know whether they could have been prevented or not -- but certainly they suggest that Florida's program for dealing with orphaned and troubled children needs a bit of thought.

As for constitutional issues, our constitution certainly allows members of a militia to bear arms and perhaps others to do so, also. But does the constitution truly permit us to carry any and all arms anyone might want. Should we be allowed to walk around with 50 caliber machine guns, portable nuclear bombs, AK-47s ...?

Is there a limit? and if so, what might it be?

Weary

Has Texans' right to carry concealed firearms reduced crime?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer
    I meant primarily sick as in evil. Sin sick, soul sick, spirit sick, etc.
    yeah, I know, Skidsteer... it just bothers me that we throw the word sick around when referring to evil people. it implies that they're really not responsible, and shouldn't be held accountable for their actions. and when they get well, everything will be ok. I'm sure you didn't intend that, but I just refuse to use the term when referring to bad people doing bad things.....
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Default A republican picks up his cell phone and says

I see it this way, tha Wook is sick; and the kid is evil

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ
    yeah, I know, Skidsteer... it just bothers me that we throw the word sick around when referring to evil people. it implies that they're really not responsible, and shouldn't be held accountable for their actions. and when they get well, everything will be ok. I'm sure you didn't intend that, but I just refuse to use the term when referring to bad people doing bad things.....
    What happened was evil. Why it happened is something none of us can know for sure, as yet, and perhaps never know. But the alleged murderer has been pretty much a ward of the State of Florida since the age of 10, suggesting the state may have been at least partially culpable. Maybe of course the culprit may be inherently evil and no one could have changed his behavior.

If so, let's think how that condition could best be described. Perhaps, "sick?"

Weary

IMO - Sick can usually be cured, Evil cannot.
    Remember this - - Even the best of friends cannot attend each other's funerals.

Images

Good Evening Everyone.

Sorry that I can't keep my mouth shut on this but catching up on the post on this subject has brought something to my mind that I do have a problem with.

We all know that we have the right to bear arms. But I noticed years ago since I live very close to Mammoth Cave National Park that guns are not allowed in the park. This also applies for the Great Smokey National Park as well, since I do backpack there whenever I can.

The rub that I have with all of this is that by law then I am denied the right to protect myself if I want to backpack through the National Park. Yet, the Park Service will not ensure that my rights or life will be protected.

By nature that I was raised to obey the law I have no choice that if I wish to backpack in the Great Smokey Mtns or Mammoth Cave National Part that I have to give up my right to arm myself and in a sense I submit myself to becoming a victim since the other person has chosen not to obey the law and comes to the National Park somewhere on the trail and blows me away since I can't defend myself.

Several years ago I brought this up and I was told by several law enforcement officers that they would not backpack at Mamouth Cave National Park unless they were packing. So what do you do. From KY's point of view if I was caught with a gun in my pocession then it is a misdamenaor. The officers stated that this implies that KY is not that concerned about the carry of a gun. Since that time we now have concel carry laws but you still can't carry a gun in a National Park.

So if I am not willing to become a victim but I intend to follow the letter of the law then I can no longer backpack in the National Parks and I am paying for them with my taxes. Yet I pay for them and now I can't use them so my rights are now being walked upon.

For me this is an endless cycle that has no correct answer. I get mad when I hear stories about the couple that was killed because I do not have the answer.

In closing, I had an officer tell me one day that law enforcement is misunderstood. An officer does not protect you but enforces the law. I had to think about this and it hit me like a ton of bricks. What he is saying is if an officer was present when someone tried to kill you the officer would enforce the law and kill the person if he had to to keep you alive. But if the officer is not present then he cannot do anything until a law has been broken. So you have to get killed before they will do something about it.

This is a sick and twisted catch 22 and I don't like it.

John

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default my treatise on guns

I dont like guns, but own them.
    Was smart enough to know I didnt have gun knowledge so hired an ex-marine to spend much time with us teaching us the basics.
    Now the sad reality.....if you study past advanced and not so advanced civilizations since 1776 you will find a trend. Where gun control laws were passed in succesively stricter fashion toward the ultimate illegality of possessing a firearm by any but the controlling government the end result over and over again is genocide. GENOCIDE.
    The Founding Fathers of this country could foresee this and even in their time dealt with homicide, accidental death and the tragedy it brings.
    It was to them, and to us a weighing of the benifit/risk ratio with the obvious staring them and us in the face- that if we do ultimately remove guns/firearms from the common man the end result with be yet another Killer Field or Gulag. This country, if you havent noticed is the last bastion, the only country (Switzerland is an exception) remaining where the citizens could actually resist a tyranical government, maybe a government led by a madman bent on the removal of a type of people or type of thought.
    Was it that the Jews were so placid that they allowed the Nazis to herd them to their deaths? No, rather they were attempting to be good citizens and answer the governments pleas to help arm the German soldier against the coming Communist that they willingly gave up their arms.
    No one wants the death of a teenager or younger to a firearms accident. No one wants a crazed individual randomly taking out 10 in a McDonalds, yet our Founding Fathers knew all to well that a Blunderbuss could have done the same (and did) in a Tavern so long ago.
    I dont like guns. I own them. I study their use. I prepare for the inevitable.
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ
    but I just refuse to use the term when referring to bad people doing bad things.....
    I can live with that.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

In the St.Pete times today they said his (Boatman, the killer) bus trip and $500 plus dollars in camping gear was purchased with the money the state gave him for being a foster child.
    They're also looking for a disposable camera that he purchased before the crime. They believe it has further evidence.

There is post titled "smokies death" that sounds too familiar to this story, there isn't much news out on it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power
    There is post titled "smokies death" that sounds too familiar to this story, there isn't much news out on it yet.
    Hope it wasn't done with an AK and get all that s**t started again.
    Remember this - - Even the best of friends cannot attend each other's funerals.

Do-it-yourself pepsi can stoves - $20 each. Amigi'sLastStand's Avatar
    Images

The ban was a joke. Never worked and never could have. The only thing that really keeps a populace free is if that populace is armed. Reason for the Second Amendment.
    I this psycho wanted to kill, he would have used an axe if he didnt have a gun. Gun laws only keep guns out of law-abiding citizens hand. As they say, "Laws-- good ppl dont need 'em and bad ppl ignore them"

Just Passin' Thru.... Kozmic Zian's Avatar
    Images

Yea, 'To Much TV'....

I'm appalled at the inherent 'gun talk', 'kill talk', and lack or respect for those who have passed before us. All I can say is that the lst post in this thread was informative and sad, for the families and friends of the victims....Has anyone here ever known a 'victim' of a heinous crime. Informative, that other hikers can know of the dangers in the 'wilds'....but that's about it....right? No need to carry on with the 'gun, knife, fist, kill, TV violence thing that everyone seems so intent on mirroring. So, that's it, guys. Can we observe some sanity, here? KZ@
    Kozmic Zian@ :cool: ' My father considered a walk in the woods as equivalent to churchgoing'. ALDOUS HUXLEY

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++