WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Coffee--i am doing the same trip next year

Coffee,
    Thanks for the information.
    Now please be quiet. Grinning.
    If everyone knows the place will be ruined just like Yosemite.
    Researching unruined locations for 2017.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Coffee,
    Thanks for the information.
    Now please be quiet. Grinning.
    If everyone knows the place will be ruined just like Yosemite.
    Researching unruined locations for 2017.
    Wayne

Looks like I've found my September 2017 trip.....thx ☕️

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Looks like I've found my September 2017 trip.....thx ☕️

There goes the neighborhood.
    Have fun!
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I just completed a traditional SOBO JMT hike this summer and enjoyed it, but I also think doing the HST along with the JMT is a great idea. Although it adds extra miles, the HST is beautiful and there's a lot to see in the park before beginning the hike. I'd definitely try it one day!

Horseshoe Meadows gives easy access to the JMT. Cottonwood Pass has a 40 per day quota, 16 of those walk ups. Trail Pass has unlimited quota.

Maybe, POSSIBLY, easier access in terms of securing permits but in no way easier considering the High Sierra Tr adds 3-5 days and about a 50 mile Approach Trail to the JMT. It also adds out and back greater JMT mileage if an official pt to pt JMT is desired by having to retrace the JMT between Crabtree and Mt Whitney summit. Although, comparatively, one going SOBO does have to add on the mileage from Mt Whitney summit to Whitney Portal TH Parking lot too.

With the assumption that many hike the JMT on fixed tightly budgeted time frames, and seemingly are the majority on WB, adding the SHT is going to seem logistically problematic to many.

FWIW, IMO I much prefer ending a JMT thru by descending scenic Whitney Portal than ending at Yosemite Valley at the Happy Isles TH. Beginning at YV puts the majority of the crowds behind so it feels more like you're hiking into the mountains and away from the hub bub of crowds by going SOBO. Hiking into YV, especially during very busy very hectic massively crowded periods, IMO takes away from the JMT backcountry experience leaving those who decide to end at YV with maybe a different parting mindset.

There are 'easier' ways to secure JMT thru-hiking permits and hike the JMT than using the High Sierra Tr TH as an Approach Tr to the JMT.

FWIW, if one hasn't the need or desire to summit Mt Whitney, perhaps because it's already been experienced, I like the idea of not doing an official JMT thru terminus to terminus and just extending a Sierra hike by including the SHT and majority of JMT tread...and possibly taking the PCT tread north of Tuolumne Meadows to wherever having a different northern terminus.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    This is a belated post I intended to make when I got back from my hike at the beginning of September. This year, I had a whole bunch of plans up in the air and the reservation windows for Yosemite and Inyo National Forest passed by before I got my act together and decided what I was going to be able to do. Most of the reservation options were closed to me for both SOBO and NOBO, although I could have done a flip flop pretty easily. However, I decided to try something different and was able to very easily secure a permit for the High Sierra Trail starting in Sequoia National Park at Crescent Meadows. The quotas were not full for several days in August at the time of my inquiry. I faxed in my request and a couple of weeks had my permit (cost: $15). I also made reservations for two nights prior to the trip at Lodgepole campground so I could hike the giant sequoia groves. That is a MUST see in my opinion and the trails aren't crowded in the groves outside the main attractions.

This option was fantastic and the High Sierra Trail is beautiful and relatively uncrowded after getting past Bearpaw High Sierra Camp and Hamilton Lake. It is about 48 miles from Crescent Meadow to the JMT junction at Wallace Creek so it is a long approach but the trail deserves to be hiked on its own merits. It is a further 12 miles southbound on the JMT to Mt. Whitney. From there I turned around and started hiking the JMT northbound. The SEKI permit is good for as far as you want to go northbound. You could even go to Tahoe.

I hiked the 60 miles from Crescent Meadow to the Whitney summit in almost exactly 72 hours - 3 days so if you are fit it need not take the 6-7 days recommended on SEKI's trip planner.

Anyway I highly recommend this approach to the JMT and I'm perplexed that more people aren't using it.

Here is information from SEKI on the HST:

https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvis...erra-trail.htm

Photo album from the HST:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=2197917540
    Curious where you flew in/out? Fresno? Having limited time I hate wasting 3 or 4 days on travel from north Fl.....I’d really like to do the SHR just don’t think late season solo would be a wise choice for me with limited mountaineering experience and time....

Images

Curious where you flew in/out? Fresno? Having limited time I hate wasting 3 or 4 days on travel from north Fl.....I’d really like to do the SHR just don’t think late season solo would be a wise choice for me with limited mountaineering experience and time....

I'll chime in after doing this last year (the SHR). First, don't confuse the High Sierra Trail with the Sierra High Route, two different things, same area.

For our SHR hike last September, we flew into Fresno and took a hired shuttle to the Roads End trailhead, where the SHR starts, it cost $120 IIRC. There were 5 of us, so cheap per person. Solo, $120 stings, but it works. We hired a lady off of Craigslist for this ride, her name was "wolf". Maybe she still does this, just a year ago when we hired her. Check out Fresno craigslist.

Our original flight home was from Reno, but due to heavy snow, we stopped at Tuolumne, hitched to Lee Vining, took bus south to Mammoth, rented a car and drove home. But Reno would have worked fine if we had made the last 30 miles.

Journal Entries

The High Sierra Trail is easy to get to. When the Sequoia shuttle runs from Visalia in summer.

Fly into FAT. Take the V Line bus from Fresno to Visalia. Take the Sequoia shuttle from Visalia in to the park. Cost a total of $25.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I'll chime in after doing this last year (the SHR). First, don't confuse the High Sierra Trail with the Sierra High Route, two different things, same area.

For our SHR hike last September, we flew into Fresno and took a hired shuttle to the Roads End trailhead, where the SHR starts, it cost $120 IIRC. There were 5 of us, so cheap per person. Solo, $120 stings, but it works. We hired a lady off of Craigslist for this ride, her name was "wolf". Maybe she still does this, just a year ago when we hired her. Check out Fresno craigslist.

Our original flight home was from Reno, but due to heavy snow, we stopped at Tuolumne, hitched to Lee Vining, took bus south to Mammoth, rented a car and drove home. But Reno would have worked fine if we had made the last 30 miles.
    CR,
    I’d love to do the SHR I’m just not comfortable doing it solo as my mountaineering skills are minimal...

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    The High Sierra Trail is easy to get to. When the Sequoia shuttle runs from Visalia in summer.

Fly into FAT. Take the V Line bus from Fresno to Visalia. Take the Sequoia shuttle from Visalia in to the park. Cost a total of $25.
    Thx...my trip would be later in September into October when the crowds die down and temps drop, so assume park shuttles wouldn’t be running but I’ll check. Thanks for the info!

Journal Entries

Yeah, sequoia shuttle last day look .like sept 9

Images

CR,
    I’d love to do the SHR I’m just not comfortable doing it solo as my mountaineering skills are minimal...

I hear ya, I've been mountaineering pretty aggressively for 20 years and I still wouldn't do the SHR solo. I was confused by your wording though, and thought you were still interested in SHR logistics (vs HST). Lots of options in that whole corridor. Enjoy!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++