WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Exped UL Pillow - Alternatives?

My Exped UL Pillow (large) weighing in at 2.1 ounces bit the dust on the second night of my recent HST/JMT hike. I uncomfortably improvised with a stuff sack "pillow" for the remaining 12 nights of my trip. It really sucked.

The Exped lasted over three years and probably over 140 nights, maybe 175+ including some nights "camped out" staying with friends and family in civilization. I was about to pull the trigger on buying a replacement but there are a bunch of options I never noticed before from Sea to Summit, Cocoon, etc. Most are slightly heavier. Does anyone have suggestions on other pillows I should be looking at?

I found the Exped generally comfortable both on my back and side and like how it cradled my head but it isn't good for stomach sleeping (my preference) and the material isn't generally nice on the skin.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

My favorite in the hammock is the S2S Aeros for summer and HG Down Pillow for Winter. I worry about the durability of the Aeros should I go to the ground but have seen a couple of great post thru reviews for it. I also have purchased the Klysmit Pillow, which is not soft but does cradle the head for ground sleeping and is the smallest and lightest packing pillow.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

I found the S2S Aeros better for me than any other options, and I tried them all over a week of experimentation with everything on the market a couple of years ago. The Aeros pillows seem to be holding up very reliably as well. Mine gets lots of use without problems.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Images

Another vote for the S2S Aero, 3.X ounces of absolute sleeping bliss. Being a gram weenie, I never ever thought I'd own a Bp pillow, always just used a sack stuff with soft stuff, never completely satisfied. then I tried my wife's Aero. I had tried something else previously, not sure what, but I wasn't satisfied. The aero is permanently in my kit. A bit pricy though....

Unless it was a catastrophic failure, I'd try to find the hole(s) and SeamGrip it back to life. Just sayin.

There are several versions of the Sea to Summit Aeros.

There are two fabrics: Ultralight and Premium
    There are three shapes: Regular, Traveler, and Deluxe.
    The regular shape comes in two sizes.

The regular shape is like the Exped
    The Duluxe is a rectangle with dimples
    The travel is like a neck pillow.

For me the fabric was key. I tried both in the store. The Ultralight models gave me that "head on a balloon" feeling that I have had on other inflatable pillows. But the Premium versions gave the nice cushy feel I want from a pillow. It also had a softer feel on the skin.

I got the regular premium (don't remember which size). Can't comment on durability as I've only used it on one short trip so far.

These pillows are 3 ounces and only cost about $3.50:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...illow/17047745

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    There are several versions of the Sea to Summit Aeros.

There are two fabrics: Ultralight and Premium
    There are three shapes: Regular, Traveler, and Deluxe.
    The regular shape comes in two sizes.

The regular shape is like the Exped
    The Duluxe is a rectangle with dimples
    The travel is like a neck pillow.

For me the fabric was key. I tried both in the store. The Ultralight models gave me that "head on a balloon" feeling that I have had on other inflatable pillows. But the Premium versions gave the nice cushy feel I want from a pillow. It also had a softer feel on the skin.

I got the regular premium (don't remember which size). Can't comment on durability as I've only used it on one short trip so far.
    yep, that fabric is key, but the shape is critical as well. I had bought the premium, 105 grams or 3.5 oz. Seems pretty durable, and I really like the inflate/deflate valves. Instant and easy.

Outstanding piece of "luxury" gear. Why did I wait so long.

Quote Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
    Unless it was a catastrophic failure, I'd try to find the hole(s) and SeamGrip it back to life. Just sayin.
    It delaminated in a large section. It was previously patched and patched and even sent to Exped for repair under warranty. So I think its useful life was just over.

Thanks for the feedback. I will try to check out the various models of the S2S Aeros, maybe at REI. 3.5 ounces is a significant step up from 2.1 ounces for the Exped but may be worth it.

Registered Offender

A great robust alternative is the Instant Camp pillow at Amazon. At $19-22, it's less than half the price of the Exped UL and weights just fractions of an ounce more (2.4-ounces instead of 2.1). It's got a 4.5-star rating after 115 reviews. I gave it a well-deserved 5-star rating, because I've used it now for about a year's worth of nights in the backcountry, mostly in the desert (where almost all plants aim to wreak havoc!), without any punctures or slow loss of air.

Of all my equipment, this and the Sawyer Squeeze are my favorites....I sleep WAY better, and wish I'd had it on those hard shelter floors on the AT! Pillows are definitely the way to go; no more using my food bag in its place!

Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
    A great robust alternative is the Instant Camp pillow at Amazon. At $19-22, it's less than half the price of the Exped UL and weights just fractions of an ounce more (2.4-ounces instead of 2.1). It's got a 4.5-star rating after 115 reviews. I gave it a well-deserved 5-star rating, because I've used it now for about a year's worth of nights in the backcountry, mostly in the desert (where almost all plants aim to wreak havoc!), without any punctures or slow loss of air.

Of all my equipment, this and the Sawyer Squeeze are my favorites....I sleep WAY better, and wish I'd had it on those hard shelter floors on the AT! Pillows are definitely the way to go; no more using my food bag in its place!
    Looks interesting... And I think that the 2.4 ounces includes the stuff sack so maybe the difference between this one and the Exped is even a little less than 0.3 ounces.

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Looks interesting... And I think that the 2.4 ounces includes the stuff sack so maybe the difference between this one and the Exped is even a little less than 0.3 ounces.
    I'm an admitted geek and have a gram scale: I'll test it out here shortly, once I'm through cutting my toothbrush in half. (Now, is that lengthwise or cross-section?!)

F4FCOSHHMVJARWF.MEDIUM.jpg

Registered Offender

it's 2.2 ounces on my scale, without the stuff sack. Not bad.

That's basically the same as the Exped UL size large. Thanks.

At that price and weight, it does look interesting. I also like the idea of the two "folds" to cradle the head. However, the material and valve look very similar to the Klymit Pillow I own. That nylon, while soft, is not near as soft as the one side of the Aeros. I keep trying to get away from my S2S (because of $$); but keep returning it to my number 1 spot. How can you put a price on softness. Lol.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

+1 S2S Aeros Premium Pillow large size.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

I use the z-packs stuff sack/pillow. Love it. Holds my sleeping quilt and liner during the day. At night I put my puffy or other clothing in it.

Quote Originally Posted by KDogg View Post
    I use the z-packs stuff sack/pillow. Love it. Holds my sleeping quilt and liner during the day. At night I put my puffy or other clothing in it.
    I wish I could get comfortable with this method but after 12 days of a sore neck and fitful sleep I'm good with carrying the 2-3 additional ounces.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++