WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maydog View Post
    I think it's the non-hikers missing the real world.
    ^There you go! Exactly.

I just returned from a month-long section on the toughest part of the trail: Imp Shelter (NH) to Caratunk (ME). Yes, I'm old and slow, but I had a marvelous time doing mostly short-mileage days, enjoying the gorgeous views and hammocking at nice locations. I arrived home around 6 p.m. yesterday. Already I have dealt with the following: a death-defying walk of under two miles from the train station to my house, with speeding cars encroaching on my road-shoulder space; a nasty bottom-feeding credit-card shark wondering why I was 16 days late paying a bill (he had phoned maybe 25 times during my hike); pledge drive harangues on my local NPR station; and of course, a barrage of political emails (send money or the world will come to an end) and blippy news coverage. All irritating, but I will adapt.

One of the highlight of my trip was hearing the clear, mournful cry of loons. Here at home, we have to deal with a different sort of loons, don't we?

Quote Originally Posted by eabyrd1506 View Post
    hold on, the Doobies broke up?
    I guess you missed "Romancing the Stone".
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Angelina and Brad split up? I'd hit it. Which one? Probably both. It is Brad Pitt after all, it might get me chicks. Maybe even Angelina out of jealousy.

...I think I have a plan for 2017.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    One of the highlight of my trip was hearing the clear, mournful cry of loons.
    I want my corpse thrown in Sabbath Day pond. Before or after my final breath, doesn't matter.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

One of the highlight of my trip was hearing the clear, mournful cry of loons. Here at home, we have to deal with a different sort of loons, don't we?
    We certainly do here in Connecticut!
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

What, Doobie Brothers broke up?

...hearing the clear, mournful cry of loons.
    Heard them last night during the debate!

Two more upcoming chances to hear them.

Time would be better spent going on a hike!

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Heard them last night during the debate!
    Yes, I watched the darn thing, too. Stayed up way past hiker midnight to do it, too. Maybe if DT gets in, he'll raze the firetower base and build a hotel on Avery Peak.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliotrope View Post
    Imagine the shock coming off the trail only to find out that Brad and Angelina are breaking up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    there was no surprise. word spreads quickly, and 99% of hikers took 1-2 zero days to try and recover from the news

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    there was no surprise. word spreads quickly, and 99% of hikers took 1-2 zero days to try and recover from the news
    Very funny!

I was at Shaws hiker hostel over the weekend and minutes after I arrived I heard one through hiker asking other through hikers if they had heard about bradjolina breaking up! Apparently it's really upset many people

OK I'm still trying to get over the news about the Doobie Bros but I gotta ask, what's a bradjolina and how did it break? Was it a structural failure or user error?

Quote Originally Posted by eabyrd1506 View Post
    OK I'm still trying to get over the news about the Doobie Bros but I gotta ask, what's a bradjolina and how did it break? Was it a structural failure or user error?
    Operator error?
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by jpolk84 View Post
    Anything short of a death in the family, the assignation of the president, or thermo-nuclear war is TMI if I'm on the trail.
    I'm still trying to figure out what "assignation of the president" means. I had a great post on this subject (and funny too) which was deleted by some unknown hand.

Remember the days when a post would get erased but instead of disappearing it said "Deleted due to Inappropriate Content."?? Now it's completely banished. I miss those days.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Back in 2001 we met a couple of hikers who were on the trail down September 11th, they didn't know about it until a couple of weekenders told them.
    I wonder what the hikers thought that day who were on the ridge in NY where you can see the NY skyline?
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I remember that day. Here in Connecticut, it was cloudless, with just a hint of fall. As I drove to work, I kicked myself for not taking the day off to head for the hills. Had I gone for a hike that day, I very likely would have been under the flight path of the plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliotrope View Post
    Imagine the shock coming off the trail only to find out that Brad and Angelina are breaking up!
    Imagine my family's shock that when I come off the trail they find out that I don't give a rat's a$$ about Brand and Angelina breaking up!

But reflecting back on my life, I went to college in the late 70's (pre-internet). For four years I didn't routinely watch TV, listen to the radio, or read a newspaper. Somehow the world survived my neglect.

No, no, no my friends, you have it wrong.

The hiking world is the real world.

The technological world is increasingly fake, virtual, digital, imagined, contrived...

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    No, no, no my friends, you have it wrong.

The hiking world is the real world.

The technological world is increasingly fake, virtual, digital, imagined, contrived...
    Amen to that. + a million

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Remember the days when a post would get erased but instead of disappearing it said "Deleted due to Inappropriate Content."?? Now it's completely banished. I miss those days.
    When I want to write something inappropriate I simply post "[Censored]".
    "Är huvudet dumt får kroppen lida."

Translated - "If the head is dumb the body suffers."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++