WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Clip on tarp pull outs

I have an Integral Designs Sil2 Tarp (8x10). Found these online: http://www.dutchwaregear.com/clip-on...pull-outs.html

I have been looking for a way to attach some pull out spots on my tarp, but wonder about any risk of damage to the silnylon long term with these. I'm sure they wouldn't sell them if they didn't work for the most part, but wondering if anyone here has any real world experience with these or something similar?

Is there another option out there?

Adding a pull out on the middle of each side would add some nice space with several pitches.

I like those, better than the old shower curtain ring and ball/Rock. Thanks for postin'

Is it still being made with only 3 guy outs on the 8 ft side? and still without cat cuts? A flat tarp with 3 guy outs across 8 ft? Hmmm.

Journal Entries
    Images

I just got some and setup different configurations with my tarp left them on for a few days. Replaced the shock cord. No apparent damage. I will know more in time.

I agree with Rocketsocks. Better design especially by using the shock cord instead of a generally static line on added guyouts. The stock guy outs the ID(RAB) now) SilTarp have still made from that slightly stretchy almost rubbery material?

Quote Originally Posted by AfterParty View Post
    I just got some and setup different configurations with my tarp left them on for a few days. Replaced the shock cord. No apparent damage. I will know more in time.
    Yeah, please do give an update. Like anything, I'm sure you could pull too much, but they look like something that'll do the trick with no damage unless you go crazy torquing them real tight.

What size/type tarp are you using and how many of the pull outs did you attach?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I agree with Rocketsocks. Better design especially by using the shock cord instead of a generally static line on added guyouts. The stock guy outs the ID(RAB) now) SilTarp have still made from that slightly stretchy almost rubbery material?
    I'm hopeful using the shock cord will keep it taut enough without any real risk of tearing.

Journal Entries
    Images

I am using a Hennessy asym tarp. I got them so I can shorten the ridge line and pull the sides of the tarp down more. I have noticed no damage even after leaving them on for a couple days. And that's using them as the ridge line. I'll try to get a picture. But if you have a rectangular tarp that you just wanna pull the sides out a little these will work just fine IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by AfterParty View Post
    I am using a Hennessy asym tarp. I got them so I can shorten the ridge line and pull the sides of the tarp down more. I have noticed no damage even after leaving them on for a couple days. And that's using them as the ridge line. I'll try to get a picture. But if you have a rectangular tarp that you just wanna pull the sides out a little these will work just fine IMO.
    Awesome. Great timing catching you here. Thanks!

And I should give a HT to sectionhiker.com - his cottage industry links page is what got me to this item.

Journal Entries
    Images

I am glad I could help

Journal Entries

I use those from Dutch. They work really well. They've been in decent wind, good rain- no problems. This last trip I almost considered leaving them attached and rolling them up in the tarp but felt that was too lazy! I only mention that to show any worries I've ever had about them damaging my silnylon tarp is gone.
    hikers gonna hike

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJackson View Post
    I use those from Dutch. They work really well. They've been in decent wind, good rain- no problems. This last trip I almost considered leaving them attached and rolling them up in the tarp but felt that was too lazy! I only mention that to show any worries I've ever had about them damaging my silnylon tarp is gone.
    Do you put them in the same spot each time? Do you mark that spot? Or do you just approximate where they go?

Why not just sew on a new attachment point and seam seal the sewing?

Quote Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
    Why not just sew on a new attachment point and seam seal the sewing?
    Agree, but I must confess that sewing is not my forte, and I am worried that I would do more damage than good.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I like those, better than the old shower curtain ring and ball/Rock. Thanks for postin'
    This conversation reminds me of the old Visqueen discussions by Colin Fletcher---

https://books.google.com/books?id=hu...lastic&f=false

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pastor Bryon View Post
    Do you put them in the same spot each time? Do you mark that spot? Or do you just approximate where they go?
    Yep, approximation. I have 2, and usually put them on the same side...I don't think I've ever put one on one side and the other on the other...usually use both on the same side I'm getting in/out of the hammock on. There is a circle area (~5 in. radius) where they always get attached.
    hikers gonna hike

++ New Posts ++