WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Combining CDT and CT

My hiking plans for the next 3 years have me completing the CDT and the CT. Next year specifically I plan to hike the Colorado Trail and have been thinking about how to piece it together with the CDT so I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

So... starting at Rawlins, hiking south towards the CT what's the best way to roll the 2 trails concurrently most efficiently?

Just eyeballing, it looks like this idea may not even be practical since the CDT and CT run concurrently for ~200ish miles. Maybe it's a better plan to just hike the CT next year and then go back on the CDT?

In a perfect world, I'd hike south from Rawlings, get on the CT at the northern terminus and hike south to the southern terminus (coming home from Durango) and then in 2018 start in NM hiking north on the CDT until I connected with the southern terminus of the CT.

Anyway... just idle chatter this morning, guess I need to break out the maps and see.

You could skip most of the Georgia pass to Twin Lakes CD/CDT section using the free bus to Leadville from Breckenridge. The bus may also get you to Twin Lakes, which is "just down the road" from Leadville but I forget if it goes that far off hand. Bypassing the southern coinciding sections looks to be a bit less straight forward. It might be easier just to repeat those sections.

I meet a German couple finishing up the CT after completing the CDT, they were on the northern dog leg heading towards Denver. I don't know if they skipped around the CDT sections they had did or repeated them. It was also a small world moment, as I had meet them before on the AT several years ago!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

The CT and CDT are co-aligned for 317 miles from near the top of Elk Creek in the southwest to Georgia Pass in the north. (Assuming you take the Collegiate West route for the CT) That leaves about 170 miles of the CT that you would need to complete in order to do it all. (CT Segments 1-6 and 24-28)
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.

~ Edward Abbey

This type of scenario is reminiscent of those on a PCT thru or long PCT section hikes who simultaneously want to bag all of the JMT.

Garlic
    Images

Especially in the San Juans, it's hard to get back to finish the CT into Durango. The nearest trailhead to the junction is something like a full day's hike and maybe even a narrow gauge train trip away. At the north end, it's much easier around Breckenridge.

One thing to consider, most CT hikers are "purists." It's easy to stay on the route. On the other hand, most CDT hikers tend to make their own way, following a combination of various possible routes. So it might be easier to hike the CT first, then on the CDT you can piece together some creative routes to fill in the blanks in Colorado.

Also remember there are two routes through the Collegiates for 80 miles. The west route is the CDT.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post

So it might be easier to hike the CT first, then on the CDT you can piece together some creative routes to fill in the blanks in Colorado.
    Yep, I think you're right. The CT is next on my list and after I complete that I'll figure out how to make the rest work. It could very well be that I just rehike the CT/CDT concurrent section.

The CT is a wonderful trail. I hiked the Collegiate West/CDT option on my thru hike but maybe it would be a good idea for you to hike the Collegiate East as part of a CT thru if you intend to hike the CDT since then you'll be getting both sides of the collegiate loop. I need to get back out to Colorado.

Maybe I'll see you out there next year...it is my plan to hike it starting mid-July.

Images

I finished the CDT a month ago. In 2013, I hiked from Rawlins to Durango. I took the low route early in the season, because I had already done the high (west) Collegiate route so I could stick to the official CT. But they have now made the west route an official option on the CT and have a new CDT section near Tin Cup Pass. I would not worry too much. I (slightly) recommend the Silverthorne CDT route, because it is easy to get to the Copper Mt. CT junction by bus (when you hike down to Denver later).

This year, the hostel in Silverton, gave me a ride from Durango, and the next day to the base of Stoney Pass. (You could also hitch to Silverton.) It is only a couple of hours up to Stoney Pass and another 3 +/- hr of repeat hiking to the junction where the CDT leaves the CT. You could also rehike the CT east bound from Molis Pass, but I think this is longer.

Curious what the Silverton Hostel charged you for the shuttle from Durango back to Silverton? I'm asking so to compare to the cost of the lowest one way hiker fare on the Narrow Gage from Durango to Silverton or from Durango directly to the CT at Elk Creek. I've hitched between Silverton and Durango both ways including in between hitches at Molas Pass without much wait. Alternatively instead of having a shuttle to Stony Pass the following day one could, at the expense of a longish ascent, take the Narrow gage to elk creek/Animas River on the CT and hike up to the CDT to head SOBO toward Wolf Creek Pass.

Did you do Ley's Silverthorne CDT route which includes walking the bike path? I've walked the Blue River bike path between Breck and Silverthorne and back to Breck. As a comparison the CDT SOBO going over Berthoud(?) Pass, bagging the summits of Torreys and Greys, following the Argentine Pass spine to Georgia Pass was WAAAAY MORE scenic and difficult.

Thinking out loud...
    I wonder if the Cumbres & Toltec RR would drop you off at the CDT crossing? You could then hike north on the CDT to Kite Lake and take the CT down to the train and either Silverton or Durango.
    The Rio Chama RV Park is a steal for a nice grassy tent site. Clean restrooms + hot showers, walking distance to the train, table, fire ring, WIFI all for $16/night. I paid more in National Forests for a table and put toilet.
    The CDT west of Wolf Creek Pass is messed up for a ways from the fires a few years ago. The CalTopo fire overlay is helpful.
    Every year is different, but there was water everywhere a couple weeks ago along Williams Creek and the Conejos Forks.
    Good luck.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Curious what the Silverton Hostel charged you for the shuttle from Durango back to Silverton? I'm asking so to compare to the cost of the lowest one way hiker fare on the Narrow Gage from Durango to Silverton or from Durango directly to the CT at Elk Creek. I've hitched between Silverton and Durango both ways including in between hitches at Molas Pass without much wait. Alternatively instead of having a shuttle to Stony Pass the following day one could, at the expense of a longish ascent, take the Narrow gage to elk creek/Animas River on the CT and hike up to the CDT to head SOBO toward Wolf Creek Pass.

Did you do Ley's Silverthorne CDT route which includes walking the bike path? I've walked the Blue River bike path between Breck and Silverthorne and back to Breck. As a comparison the CDT SOBO going over Berthoud(?) Pass, bagging the summits of Torreys and Greys, following the Argentine Pass spine to Georgia Pass was WAAAAY MORE scenic and difficult.
    Durango to Silverton was $40. I also paid $40 with small tip for Airport to Durango. I have hiked from Molas Pass to the CDT and from the Elk Creek train stop to Molas Pass, and from the CDT junction to Molas Pass. I stand by my Stoney Pass recommendation but it is not like any option has sidewalks.

I highly recommend the trail around Buffalo Mt between Copper Mt and Silverthorne. I have walked and biked the bike path, just so I can complain about the sidewalk route.
    Yes, the Grays route is very good and exposed. Also, the rehike between Breckenridge and Georgia Pass is not hard to get to or long.

"Durango to Silverton was $40."

Silverton Hostel came from Silverton and picked you up in Durango and drove you back to Silverton for $40? So the shuttle involved a 100 mile 2.5 hr or so RT for the shuttle driver between Silverton and Durango. That seems like you got a deal package based on staying at the hostel and other incurred costs? In other words was the $40 shuttle prices part of a hostel stay?

Sorry for the rambling but I'm interested in the details as I'm probably going to hike the CT and or CDT again.

Journal Entries
    Images

My plan will go from Denver to pagosa, hitch to Durango head north back to ct\cdt junction time permitting. I really want to walk the CDT to wolf creek. Might even just do CDT from i70-wolf creek. But we will see how it all goes this winter and spring for me. May just do the loop next year.

Images

Yes my stay at the hostel was extra. I think they like to resupply at Durango on some of the shuttles.

Default Grants to Salida Jun 16

This year I did Grants to Salida. June 1 to July 7. The snow was ok in the San Juans. Some crossings in some steep places. A cool month trip to do it! I did the Creed cutoff. The trail from to the CDT down the mountain is not there! Alot of burned and lots of grown foliage. Use a gps to stay on the trail. Next time I'm start Salida and north. Another month trip I think. Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Thinking out loud...
    I wonder if the Cumbres & Toltec RR would drop you off at the CDT crossing? You could then hike north on the CDT to Kite Lake and take the CT down to the train and either Silverton or Durango.
    The Rio Chama RV Park is a steal for a nice grassy tent site. Clean restrooms + hot showers, walking distance to the train, table, fire ring, WIFI all for $16/night. I paid more in National Forests for a table and put toilet.
    The CDT west of Wolf Creek Pass is messed up for a ways from the fires a few years ago. The CalTopo fire overlay is helpful.
    Every year is different, but there was water everywhere a couple weeks ago along Williams Creek and the Conejos Forks.
    Good luck.
    Wayne
    Ag

Cumbres and Toltec will definitely drop you off at the pass. I think you can get a discounted rate if you are a member of CDTC.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.

~ Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    Cumbres and Toltec will definitely drop you off at the pass. I think you can get a discounted rate if you are a member of CDTC.
    Thanks! Very good to know.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

++ New Posts ++