WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

That's not as far as I was thinking...

ive only driven the road coming down from wolf laurel down to the cabin and was thinking it would be longer than 2 miles...

the other old roadbed im interested in is the one coming from huckleberry knob going east...

oh, and that one thats at farr gap going into the newly acquired piece of land near Slickrock...

TU for the confirmation TW.

I was reading one of the other threads regarding hammock camping in the Smokies and they were saying that there is no reason that a section hiker should be hammock camping because they are required to use the shelters. They were referring the AT but it got me to thinking - can I hammock camp on the BMT? All the reading and planning that I have done refer to the "campsites" along the way, not shelters. Are they in fact shelters and what is the requirement regarding camping near and around them? Are their bear cables at the campsites or do you hang your own bag/canister? I'm going to keep looking for this info in the books that I have but figured someone would be able to answer here from their experience. Thanks!

There are only two shelters on the BMT. Except for the pesky GSMNP you can camp or hang anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ADVStrom14 View Post
    I was reading one of the other threads regarding hammock camping in the Smokies and they were saying that there is no reason that a section hiker should be hammock camping because they are required to use the shelters. They were referring the AT but it got me to thinking - can I hammock camp on the BMT? All the reading and planning that I have done refer to the "campsites" along the way, not shelters. Are they in fact shelters and what is the requirement regarding camping near and around them? Are their bear cables at the campsites or do you hang your own bag/canister? I'm going to keep looking for this info in the books that I have but figured someone would be able to answer here from their experience. Thanks!

I hung my hammock behind the Laurel Gap shelter 3 nights ago. There was even a gentleman who claimed to have written a guide book about the BMT staying at the shelter and he didnt say anything about me hammocking, so I guess its cool. I cant remember the guys name but he seemed to know alot about the trail. He said he also knows Tipi Walter and lives in Tellico Planes, TN

Images

I cant remember the guys name but he seemed to know alot about the trail.

Sgt Rock?

not sure his real name...

and he should know that hammocks at shelters in the Park are not allowed...........if he wrote a guidebook.....

Images

oh, and blue indian-----how was your trip?

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    I hung my hammock behind the Laurel Gap shelter 3 nights ago. There was even a gentleman who claimed to have written a guide book about the BMT staying at the shelter and he didnt say anything about me hammocking, so I guess its cool. I cant remember the guys name but he seemed to know alot about the trail. He said he also knows Tipi Walter and lives in Tellico Planes, TN
    I think Rick Harris wrote a short guide to the trail. He lives near Tellico.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I think Rick Harris wrote a short guide to the trail. He lives near Tellico.

Yeah that name sounds right. He said his guide was more useful for day hikes and not thru hiking, but that didnt stop him for giving us a hard time for using SGT Rocks guide. haha. He was a nice guy and liked talking about the BMT. Gave us some nice info about water sources and what not.

Images

yeah.......

rick lives right off the skyway........

never knew he wrote a book about the BMT.......

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    yeah.......

As long as we are talking about the same guy, he said he wrote a guide book for the entire trail but that it was catered more towards day hikers and not backpackers.

Rick Harris actually gets out and backpacks on occasion and we did a trip together not too long ago--

Here's a pic of Rick on the far right with Regina Reiter (Missinglink) on the left and Sgt Rock middle standing. We're pulling a BMT trip and resting in Stiffknee Gap on the Stiffknee Trail above Slickrock Creek.

Clowning around in Cold Spring Gap on the BMT with Sgt Rock behind me (never let him get behind you) and Rick second from the right.

A recent shot of Rick and myself in 2015 as I was ending a 22 day trip and he was just starting a 3 day trip from Beech Gap to Tapoco Lodge on the BMT.

Images

i met rick and his wife brenda at the creek crossing where the bmt goes off of brookshire creek trail......

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    If I can do it, any nitwit can.
    +1. I am the type of person to get lost on a 1 way street yet somehow I managed to do it.
    Foothills Trail - 14
    Bartram Trail - 15 - Video
    Benton MacKaye Trail - 15 - Video
    AT - 15% complete
    Pinhoti Trail - 16 - Video

i met rick and his wife brenda at the creek crossing where the bmt goes off of brookshire creek trail......

I know that spot well---the Brookshire Creek crossing on the BMT. Tony on left, Shunka dog, unknown, Two Speed, Generoll and Jeffrey Hunter aka Mowgli.

Images

that would be it...........

i was quite surprised to come across them to be honest........

the rest of that loop trip i did----didnt see anyone....

yeah.......

He did and it's pretty good. I bought it when I started doing trip research for the BMT. But I can see where he meant he wrote it more for the section hiking. It's broken up that way into what would be day hikes or so.

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    +1. I am the type of person to get lost on a 1 way street yet somehow I managed to do it.
    This is good to hear. I have a pretty good sense of direction and some beginner navigation skills so with some practice beforehand I felt like I would be OK. Then I started reading Sgt. Rock's trail guide and he says, "...trail passes through some areas where blazing is not allowed and often relies on the fact that an experienced hiker can follow a trail without constant marking to keep on track. This is not a joke - experienced hikers who have thousands of miles on various trails have gotten off track on the BMT."

Oh crap!

The areas without blazing aren't difficult. The trail is easy to follow and there are signs at the turns. However, you have to pay careful attention.

The biggest challenges for me have been...

1) Fall, when leaves cover the trail
    2) Summer when the vegetation is as tall as I am.
    3) When reentering the woods after road walks.
    4) Hiking southbound

Hiking sobo is a very different experience. The blazing isn't as well-spaced or timed. Example, I was hiking sobo through Cherry Log, Ga and arrived at a T intersection. There were no blazes to indicate which way to turn. I turned right and wandered up and down the roads for an hour looking for a blaze or sign. I tried the opposite direction and in about 15-20 (?) yards, there was a painted blaze on the road. Had I been traveling north, I would have walked by the painted blaze and seen the upcoming right-hand turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Does that mean it goes through the bushes?!

I am hiking SOBO. Oh well, it adds to the adventure!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++