WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by ADVStrom14 View Post
    Does that mean it goes through the bushes?!

I am hiking SOBO. Oh well, it adds to the adventure!
    It surely does. Reading The Guide backwards takes a little practice.

Some people recommend wearing pants for leg protection. I always wear a skirt and add compression sleeves to my legs in particularly bad areas. I've only had to do first aid once.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    It surely does. Reading The Guide backwards takes a little practice.

Some people recommend wearing pants for leg protection. I always wear a skirt and add compression sleeves to my legs in particularly bad areas. I've only had to do first aid once.
    That it does! I have been trying to read it backward the whole time which begs the question - why are most of the guide books written for trips NOBO? It seems to be the trend.

I was thinking about hiking in a skirt but I am not sure that I am that comfortable with that yet but I found some good pants that I like (finally) that will allow me to roll them up when I get to water, etc. so I'll have some protection.

Quote Originally Posted by ADVStrom14 View Post
    He did and it's pretty good. I bought it when I started doing trip research for the BMT. But I can see where he meant he wrote it more for the section hiking. It's broken up that way into what would be day hikes or so.

This is good to hear. I have a pretty good sense of direction and some beginner navigation skills so with some practice beforehand I felt like I would be OK. Then I started reading Sgt. Rock's trail guide and he says, "...trail passes through some areas where blazing is not allowed and often relies on the fact that an experienced hiker can follow a trail without constant marking to keep on track. This is not a joke - experienced hikers who have thousands of miles on various trails have gotten off track on the BMT."

Oh crap!
    I did a virtual hike of the entire trail showing the major views, campsites, intersections, etc. I tried to document the trail as best as I could. The most confusing sections involve the wilderness areas where either (1) there has been a re-route or (2) marking is not permissible in the wilderness areas. Big Frog Wilderness to Thunder Rock Campground can be a little confusing. Also North of Cold Spring Gap can be a little confusing. Those were the sections I remember relying on the guidebook heavily. The guide book and map would be necessary in those sections. If you want to get more of a visual idea of what the trail will look like, take a look at some of my videos for the trail. I tried my best to document the confusing sections as well. The links are in my signature line.
    Foothills Trail - 14
    Bartram Trail - 15 - Video
    Benton MacKaye Trail - 15 - Video
    AT - 15% complete
    Pinhoti Trail - 16 - Video

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Rick Harris actually gets out and backpacks on occasion and we did a trip together not too long ago--

Here's a pic of Rick on the far right with Regina Reiter (Missinglink) on the left and Sgt Rock middle standing. We're pulling a BMT trip and resting in Stiffknee Gap on the Stiffknee Trail above Slickrock Creek.

Clowning around in Cold Spring Gap on the BMT with Sgt Rock behind me (never let him get behind you) and Rick second from the right.

A recent shot of Rick and myself in 2015 as I was ending a 22 day trip and he was just starting a 3 day trip from Beech Gap to Tapoco Lodge on the BMT.

Yeah, thats the guy!

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    I did a virtual hike of the entire trail showing the major views, campsites, intersections, etc. I tried to document the trail as best as I could. The most confusing sections involve the wilderness areas where either (1) there has been a re-route or (2) marking is not permissible in the wilderness areas. Big Frog Wilderness to Thunder Rock Campground can be a little confusing. Also North of Cold Spring Gap can be a little confusing. Those were the sections I remember relying on the guidebook heavily. The guide book and map would be necessary in those sections. If you want to get more of a visual idea of what the trail will look like, take a look at some of my videos for the trail. I tried my best to document the confusing sections as well. The links are in my signature line.
    I had to look at my Nat Geo map a few times from Big Frog Wilderness to Thunderrock CG. It helps if you know that the BMT is also trail #2.

In addition to maps, I carry copies of the relevant pages from the guide, keep them in my pocket, and refer to them at all landmarks, water sources, mountain summits, etc. It's a good way to keep up with mileage and know you aren't lost. I also make notes on the copies with info that I learn from others...good campsites, areas that aren't blazed, forest-service emergency numbers.

I had to look at my Nat Geo map a few times from Big Frog Wilderness to Thunderrock CG. It helps if you know that the BMT is also trail #2.
    The BMT section from Thunder Rock to Big Frog mountain is very confusing. The first time I did it I had no idea where I was. Why? Because the trail intersects several roads in different configurations . . . road 45, road 221 . . .and you're not really sure of anything until you get on the West Fork of Rough Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    The BMT section from Thunder Rock to Big Frog mountain is very confusing. The first time I did it I had no idea where I was. Why? Because the trail intersects several roads in different configurations . . . road 45, road 221 . . .and you're not really sure of anything until you get on the West Fork of Rough Creek.
    Well...we will have to disagree as I had no trouble.

At FS 221(?) the initial thought might be to take the Quartz Loop trail but there is nothing on the sign indicating it's the BMT, whereas the BMT was clearly marked when leaving the woods. My rational self immediately thought that if they had one big sign at the trail head, they will have another one before too long. Indeed, I was right. (And I'm pretty sure there were blazes guiding me down the road.)

Have I mentioned that I like to take photos of signs? If I get confused down the trail, I go back and study the photo...mainly for reassurance.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpeg

Have I mentioned that I like to take photos of signs? If I get confused down the trail, I go back and study the photo...mainly for reassurance.
    This is a good idea. I will definitely be doing this if for no other reason than just to know that I am going the right way!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++