WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ADVStrom14 View Post
    YELLOW JACKETS?!!?!? I hate those things!

Actually, that is part of the reason I am thinking about moving it up. The heat I can handle but swatting bugs all day (especially stinging ones) is not a thing I look forward to. I was looking at average temps and precips and it seems as though, with the proper clothing, I should be fine. (Said, in a slightly apprehensive and questioning tone)
    December weather can be very mild, although a little gloomy, and a great time to hike. Just be flexible. Do you know your cold tolerance level? My tolerance level is fairly low but have hiked many times in December.

I'll be finishing up the BMT early next summer, just have the Smokies left. If you decide to hike in June and want a partner for part of the way, let me know. I only hike with other ladies though.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    December weather can be very mild, although a little gloomy, and a great time to hike. Just be flexible. Do you know your cold tolerance level? My tolerance level is fairly low but have hiked many times in December.

I'll be finishing up the BMT early next summer, just have the Smokies left. If you decide to hike in June and want a partner for part of the way, let me know. I only hike with other ladies though.
    Awesome! I'll keep that in mind, thanks! I'll be solo so it would be good to have someone to walk with.

As for cold tolerance, I can handle pretty low as long as I'm moving. The only thing that concerns me is night time and sleeping but I have gear for that so I am not too afraid. I'm trying to get my mind around the time difference also by hiking in December. In June I can hike for several hours in the daylight. In December the sunrise and sunset are about 7 am and 4:30 pm, respectively so that limits daylight travel time. I'm trying to gauge if I can still make it in the time that I've allotted for the original trip or not. Hopefully my hike in November will help me get a gauge on my hiking time and ability to move.

In June, my husband was going to be able to take me to the trailhead at Big Creek and then pick me up at the end so that we could spend the weekend at Fontana Village. We can't do that in December so I need to get some ideas about shuttles. I want to stop at Tapoco and possibly stay at the lodge when I come out. I was thinking of leaving the car at Tapoco so I can be on my own timeline when I get ready to head home but that means I'll need to find a way to get from Tapoco to Big Creek. Anyone want to shuttle me 2.5 hours? lol

Thinking about bumping this up to December - over Christmas break. Thoughts?
    I hiked most of the smokies in December of last year. The weather was pretty amazing when I section hiked. The water crossing though will hurt. It was very cold. I still saw some bears out in the smokies despite being it being December. The nights were cold, but not what I would expect for December in the smokies.

Of course, your experience may vary.

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/weather.htm
    Foothills Trail - 14
    Bartram Trail - 15 - Video
    Benton MacKaye Trail - 15 - Video
    AT - 15% complete
    Pinhoti Trail - 16 - Video

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    ...Actually, if you stand in Cold Spring Gap below Bob Bald and head down into the "wedge" to the east you'll intersect Bob Creek which always has water. On my next trip I'll swing down there for my water and then climb up to the Bob.

Naked Ground always has water so it's a good place to stock up when camping on Hangover Mt.
    What map(s) are you using/viewing these on and are all these places listed on these maps?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    What map(s) are you using/viewing these on and are all these places listed on these maps?
    I don't know about the person that posted that originally but I am using the NatGeo maps #316 & 317 and the large NatGeo map of the GSMNP. I am unsure if these places are on those maps and since I'm without power thanks to hurricane Matthew, I will have to wait to check.

Jes

I don't know about the person that posted that originally but I am using the NatGeo maps #316 & 317 and the large NatGeo map of the GSMNP. I am unsure if these places are on those maps and since I'm without power thanks to hurricane Matthew, I will have to wait to check.

Jes
    Time for a pre hike check of that headlamp you have for the BMT?

Most backpacking gear and techniques have crossover benefits into other activities uhh emergencies.

I was asking TW but anyone can chime in. Me wanna know.

Thinking about bumping this up to December - over Christmas break. Thoughts?
    Is your gear up to that time of year?
    I know I would prefer Christmas to June. Assuming I didn't encounter a multi-day rain event.
    Have fun.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Time for a pre hike check of that headlamp you have for the BMT?

Most backpacking gear and techniques have crossover benefits into other activities uhh emergencies.

I was asking TW but anyone can chime in. Me wanna know.
    Ha! Yep! As I have gleefully learned today. I had to postpone my camping trip for this weekend but we have no power so it's kind of like camping. We are all walking astound with headlamps on!

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Is your gear up to that time of year?
    I know I would prefer Christmas to June. Assuming I didn't encounter a multi-day rain event.
    Have fun.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have been collecting cold weather gear over the last few months in preparation for cold weather camping so I'm close. I do have a few things I'd like to get but I think I'm pretty well set. I am certainly going to plan for rain and then hope I don't get it. Wet is one thing, cold and wet is quite another.

Jes

And I'm also going to get some water filtration experience out of this too. We had a water main break in 2 different places and we have no water in the pipes. Now I believe in being prepared so we have what we need...but Where is the fun in that?! 😎

Jes

Cold Spring Gap is the low point between Bob Bald and Strawberry Knob (about halfway between the bald and the trailhead at Beech Gap). Naked Ground is to the east of the Bob, the low point between the bald and Haoe Mountain. The closer spring is to the north, following the Slickrock Creek Tr. Both gaps are obvious campsites with intersecting trails.

if it's flowing there's a spring on the Bob among the small patch of fir trees.

Here's a pic of Cold Spring Gap looking south. To the left before the big tree is the South Fork Citico trail. Straight behind the tent is the old BMT and the new BMT reroute going up to Bob Bald. To the right in this pic is the wedge trail heading down to Bob Creek.

Another shot of Cold Gap showing better the cut bank of the old logging road heading down into the wedge on the right.

In this pic I'm off Cold Gap a way on the wedge trail to avoid a cold wind coming thru . . . wait for it . . . Cold Gap. This is the old logging cut which goes all the way down to Bob Creek. It's not on most maps.

Here are some backpacking buddies coming up from the wedge as you're looking down the old trail you'd take to get to Bob Creek.

Thx Ashepabst and TW. You even had some pics. But what maps are you using for the area?

For the actual Citico/Slick area I recommend the paper Citico Creek map---

Get it here---the best map source---

https://theforeststore.com/product-c...orth-carolina/

Otherwise everyone else uses this---

Images

This is the old logging cut which goes all the way down to Bob Creek.

how far does this old cut/road go down?

and are there campsites along the way down there?

ive always seen where it leads outta cold spring and wondered how far it would end up taking me...

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    how far does this old cut/road go down?

and are there campsites along the way down there?

ive always seen where it leads outta cold spring and wondered how far it would end up taking me...
    This particular cut goes down to Bob Creek with some campsites and you cross the creek and continue down to Tee onto another logging road which if you turn left becomes the Bob Bald tractor road (it's gated) which runs all the way up to the Bob.

Images

ahhhhh...........

so one could make a loop outta it?

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    ahhhhh...........

so one could make a loop outta it?
    My buddy Hootyhoo has done this loop many times as there are two lower balds below the Bob. Also there's the sidetrail to Swan Cabin.

Images

yeah...

i met Hooty up on the skyway one snowy day............

from the gap down to the cabin----what would you estimate mileage at?

Two miles at most??

Every once in a great while the tractor road is used . . . by a tractor of course every 4 years to cut the bald---and by the occasional scientists studying chestnut tree growth or the rare rescue--

NC forest district coming up to place new BMT trailposts. Stolen one month later by redneck miscreants. 2015.

Bee stung woman down on the Nutbuster trail pulled up on foot from Naked Ground and carted off the Bob in ATVs. 2012.

Chestnut scientists coming up in SUVs to study their trees.

The last thing I want to see on the Bob is a vehicle, dangit. Signed, Steamed.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++