WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Smile Backpacking the NC BMT section in June

Hey there! I am a relatively new backpacker. I've been camping and hiking for a long time but have very little experience with true backpacking.

I am planning to hike the NC section of the BMT from Big Creek to Deal's Gap - in June of 2017. I think this will be the earliest that I realistically can take several consecutive days from work and be in shape to hike that long (I am not in any shape to try hiking 97 miles right now). From your experiences, what should I be prepared for at that time of year? Anything major that I should keep in mind? Things to make sure I pay attention to, etc.? Thanks for the info!

By June 2017 we should have 100F days (if June 2016 was any indication) so be prepared for some heat. And bring a bug headnet. My recent summer trips have all been in a FURNACE.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    And bring a bug headnet. My recent summer trips have all been in a FURNACE.
    Boo!!! I was hoping it would not be that hot yet but you are right. If this year was any indication it's going to be HOT!!!

Maybe I can move it up to April.

Jes

The BMT no longer goes to Deals Gap, it's been rerouted. Tapoco Lodge would be a great stopping place.

Personally, I'd go early June as April can be very rainy...but you know that, being from NC.

By June 2017 we should have 100F days (if June 2016 was any indication) so be prepared for some heat. And bring a bug headnet. My recent summer trips have all been in a FURNACE.
    +100 June, July. Aug, and even through much of Sept it's a sweat and humidity fest. Some very humid months to be hiking. At least there are plenty of places to take a dip on the NC segment of the BMT with much of it in GSMNP. Be wise to consider not swimming in anything contaminated from upstream agricultural run off especially if you wind up hiking outside of NC. You'll have shade through GSMNP.

Unless you want to take the old BMT route which involved at times a 3.5 mile narrow two lane winding road walk without always a safe shoulder to walk on I'd take the Yellow Cr Mt reroute. It has several benefits over the old route. I would not go by Twentymile Ranger Station.

Speaking of the BMT, is this your handiwork? Stones and a stick to mark a side trail on Big From Mt? It reminded me of you.

(sorry for the thread drift)

image.jpeg

Good olde Yellow Creek Mt Trail. Used to be the original Appalachian Trail back before Fontana Dam was built. Just recently it has been designated the new reroute to the BMT from Tapoco Lodge to Fontana, thereby obviating Deals Gap and the roadwalk and the godawful hateful harley motorcycle noise which has ruined this section of trail in a 10 mile radius.

Problem is, Yellow Creek Mt trail rises above several motorcycle "racetracks" (hiways 129, 28, etc) and so once you approach Tapoco Lodge from the Slickrock side you'll be bombarded with hateful motorcycle noise all the way to Fontana and beyond. The reroute is bad since you're on Yellow Mt ridge the whole time.

Oh and btw, Yellow Mt has some nutbusting climbs when heading north. But why believe me? You'll see soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Speaking of the BMT, is this your handiwork? Stones and a stick to mark a side trail on Big From Mt? It reminded me of you.

(sorry for the thread drift)

image.jpeg
    YES YES YES!!! I placed the double rock cairn last year to point out the Big Creek trail jct as it leaves the Big Frog trail. Here's my pic of the place---

The BMT no longer goes to Deals Gap, it's been rerouted. Tapoco Lodge would be a great stopping place.

Personally, I'd go early June as April can be very rainy...but you know that, being from NC.
    I know!!! I'm really limited on the times I can go since I teach. I don't have an autonomous job anymore so I have to get it where I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post

Unless you want to take the old BMT route which involved at times a 3.5 mile narrow two lane winding road walk without always a safe shoulder to walk on I'd take the Yellow Cr Mt reroute. It has several benefits over the old route. I would not go by Twentymile Ranger Station.
    I read that there was a reroute in progress and I was not really keen on going by the ranger station and on the road to Deal Gap so I am happy about it. I was going to cut that leg out since it was mostly black top but I'm a bit of a purist so I felt bad stopping at Fontana. I am glad that this has been done. I have some maps (316 & 317 I believe) that show the bmt thru the GSMNP but they don't show the new reroute and I haven't seen it on the BMT conservancy site either. Is there a link I can go to that shows it on a map? Thanks.

Jes

Images

Is there a link I can go to that shows it on a map?

SGT rock's book on the BMT would have this about the reroute...

not sure if he has it up on his website...

The new reroute from Beech Gap north has been firmly established and just recently new trailsigns were posted in Cold Spring Gap pointing out the climb on 54A up to Bob Stratton bald, the Hangover down to Big Fat Gap, Windy Gap trail to Nichols Cove and Yellowhammer to YH Gap and the drop to Tapoco Lodge (with easy jct on YCMT).

Here's the new trailsign in Cold Gap showing the climb up to Bob Bald etc.

Images

i take that back...

here is a link with the reroute...

http://bmtguide.com/errata.pdf

http://www.bmta.org/YellowCreekReroute.html

Click on the construction overview map. Sgt Rock has access to topos he or perhaps someone else, maybe even TW, posted/linked to here on WB. There was a thread started here on WB a while back.

YES YES YES!!! I placed the double rock cairn last year to point out the Big Creek trail jct as it leaves the Big Frog trail. Here's my pic of the place---

That trail was barely discernible, I would not have noticed it without the markings. Thanks for all you do!

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    SGT rock's book on the BMT would have this about the reroute...

not sure if he has it up on his website...
    It is not updated with the reroute...hopefully it will be updated soon as mine is falling apart.

Good olde Yellow Creek Mt Trail. Used to be the original Appalachian Trail back before Fontana Dam was built. Just recently it has been designated the new reroute to the BMT from Tapoco Lodge to Fontana, thereby obviating Deals Gap and the roadwalk and the godawful hateful harley motorcycle noise which has ruined this section of trail in a 10 mile radius.

Problem is, Yellow Creek Mt trail rises above several motorcycle "racetracks" (hiways 129, 28, etc) and so once you approach Tapoco Lodge from the Slickrock side you'll be bombarded with hateful motorcycle noise all the way to Fontana and beyond. The reroute is bad since you're on Yellow Mt ridge the whole time.

Oh and btw, Yellow Mt has some nutbusting climbs when heading north. But why believe me? You'll see soon enough.
    Made harder if hauling a 75 lb pack? I'm just busting on you. Don't take it seriously.

Hey, it's not like their wasn't an ascent to contend with from Deals Gap past Twenty Mile Ranger Station to the shuckstck/Sassafras Gap/AT/Lost Cove Tr junction going NOBO either. No matter how you slice it there's rolling terrain and ascents/descents on the BMT through GSMNP no matter the direction of travel. There's a prolonged ascent from Big Creek up to Sterling going SOBO too. Then ascents/descents to/out of Smokemont.

But the Yellow Creek Mt ascent is way before the Smokies. I'm trying to remember the toughest Nut ascents on "my" section of the BMT . . .

** Going north from Watson/Dally Gap in the Cohuttas you reach Double Spring Gap. There's a hellish climb from the gap up to Big Frog Mt. Like 800 feet in .8th of a mile. The last time I did it was a couple months ago on a nighthike which actually made it easier.

** Leaving Highway 64 and Ocoee River and climbing up into Little Frog wilderness is fun.

** Indistinct climbs between Little Frog to Hiwassee River and Highway 68 crossing.

** The climb up from Sandy Gap to State Line ridge is always fun.

** Sugar Mt climb but it isn't tough.

** 7 mile climb up Sycamore Creek to Whiggs Meadow with a gain of 3,000 feet. Not bad.

** Frequent short but steep climbs between the Rock Quarry to Beech Gap and up to Bob Bald.

** Several hard pitches from Tapoco on YCMT as mentioned.

Images

It is not updated with the reroute...hopefully it will be updated soon as mine is falling apart.

see my post a couple up that has the link for the reroute......

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    see my post a couple up that has the link for the reroute......

Thank you! I've completed the BMT up to Fontana visitor center (and some random miles in GSMNP) and know the route from there.

ADVStrom14, don't let the talk deter you. It ain't that hard, just needs a little planning. Get SGT Rock's guide, print the info for the reroutes, and follow the white diamonds. If I can do it, any nitwit can.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++