WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hiking in the path of a hurricane

Okay, so I'm pretty risk-averse. Probably relates to the fact that I injured myself on a hike this spring. We are supposed to hit McAfee Knob Friday - Saturday, basically route 311 to Troutville. This hurricane is starting to track west and the forecast right now conservatively calls for showers during both days. These are out in front of the actual low pressure. Now this could obviously change over the next several days, but I'm not terribly excited about hiking in the rain and, potentially worse, the wind.

My friends seem pretty eager to go however. The idea of sleeping in a tent, or even a shelter under a canopy of trees with wind and rain isn't that appealing to me.

Just wanted the thoughts of some pretty experienced hikers. Keep in mind this will be my first overnight trip.

Hurricane paths are a difficult prediction, a hundred miles can mean the difference between scattered showers and breezy versus torrential rain and high winds over 45 mph. The only advice I have is, if you are uncomfortable to be in challenging weather, or don't feel you are at the level of experience to fare well, its OK to say no thanks.

I can't tell if you are driving to a trail head to McAfee Knob on Friday or will be hiking to it. If driving, you should give it a day or two and make the decision Thursday sometime based on the latest information and have a good idea of where the storm is headed.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Hurricane paths are a difficult prediction, a hundred miles can mean the difference between scattered showers and breezy versus torrential rain and high winds over 45 mph. The only advice I have is, if you are uncomfortable to be in challenging weather, or don't feel you are at the level of experience to fare well, its OK to say no thanks.

I can't tell if you are driving to a trail head to McAfee Knob on Friday or will be hiking to it. If driving, you should give it a day or two and make the decision Thursday sometime based on the latest information and have a good idea of where the storm is headed.
    Thanks, Traveler! I appreciate that. I'll be driving down to the trail head early on Friday. I live in Maryland and it's a 3.5 hour drive. Was planning on arriving by 9. My buddies are both driving in from various locations Thursday evening.

I agree with you regarding the path of the hurricane. I was hoping for a nice, weather-friendly environment for my first overnight hike on the trail. That said, my buddies are experienced and if it isn't going to be terrible, I will rely on them to help guide me.

Journal Entries
    Images

Man hurricains sound like Kansas thunderstorms. Just longer in duration. Do it you may never have another chance to survive a hurricane on the AT. Think of the stories your grandkids could tell about you.

Quote Originally Posted by JLorenzo77 View Post
    I'm not terribly excited about hiking in the rain and, potentially worse, the wind.

My friends seem pretty eager to go however. The idea of sleeping in a tent, or even a shelter under a canopy of trees with wind and rain isn't that appealing to me.
    It's funny how people can be so different. I carry gear which allows me to do one of my favorite things---Hike and camp in rainstorms with tremendous winds.

Images

I would like your first trip to be enjoyable so you will want to go out again and again. If you are suffering from tons of nervous anxiety and stress, it probably won't really be a very good time. Maybe you'll want to wait one more day to see what's up, but I sincerely feel that if the concern over the weather would wreck the trip, just go another time.

Jane in CT

Or pull "the trip" in your backyard in a tent and go inside the house if things get weird.

Images

You and others seem too smart. Hurricanes are difficult to track, and you are not entitled to a certain forecast now. Why not wait?
    My forecast does not look bad for Roanoke. These tropical moisture systems bring warm rain, so hypothermia is not likely if you are prepared.
    I would not go because I'm a wimp, not because I'm afraid.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    It's funny how people can be so different. I carry gear which allows me to do one of my favorite things---Hike and camp in rainstorms with tremendous winds.
    An example of an experienced hiker with the knowledge of how to pack for what many might call "harsh conditions".

But to the OP, I would recommend that you post-pone your trip until you're going to have fairer weather.

For the uninitiated, even a basic camping trip has things that it will teach you... lessons you need to learn, lessons so basic that us more experienced hikers have long forgotten that we had to learn these things.

So unless you already have some outdoor experience, I would suggest that you ease into learning to enjoy the back country by trying to have your 1st camping trip be one when the weather conditions are going to be a bit more fair, then try to tackle more challenging trips one you have some experience.

I can sort of equate the situation with learning to drive. The 1st time to get behind the wheel of a car to learn to drive, do you start by heading out to a busy city street on a rainy day? Or do you start by puttering around in an empty parking lot on a clear day?
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 10-04-2016 at 14:26.

Quote Originally Posted by ARambler View Post
    You and others seem too smart. Hurricanes are difficult to track, and you are not entitled to a certain forecast now. Why not wait?
    My forecast does not look bad for Roanoke. These tropical moisture systems bring warm rain, so hypothermia is not likely if you are prepared.
    I would not go because I'm a wimp, not because I'm afraid.
    Yeah, agreed. It's just some rain showers now which isn't bad. I am totally a wimp.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    An example of an experienced hiker with the knowledge of how to pack for what many might call "harsh conditions".

But to the OP, I would recommend that you post-pone your trip until you're going to have fairer weather.

For the uninitiated, even a basic camping trip has things that it will teach you... lessons you need to learn, lessons so basic that us more experienced hikers have long forgotten that we had to learn these things.

So unless you already have some outdoor experience, I would suggest that you ease into learning to enjoy the back country by trying to have your 1st camping trip be one when the weather conditions are going to be a bit more fair, then try to tackle more challenging trips one you have some experience.

I can sort of equate the situation with learning to drive. The 1st time to get behind the wheel of a car to learn to drive, do you start by heading out to a busy city street on a rainy day? Or do you start by puttering around in an empty parking lot on a clear day?
    I'll pay attention to the weather and decide as we get closer. I'm already nervous about the trip, without factoring in the weather.
    It's a good analogy, the driving.

Images

Inland hurricanes are very hit and miss. When hurricane Hugo came through, I was living in upstate SC. It was a non-event for me… really just a bad storm. We were West of the eye. A little ways away in Charlotte, where my parents lived, it was a scene of devastation. The eye pretty much went over their house. Someone camping in the woods behind their house could easily have been killed by falling trees and/or flying debris.

Images

Just to expand on that a little, typically the worst winds are a little East of the eye. This is because the forward motion of the hurricane combines with the rotation, causing the winds to be higher. If the predicted path of the the hurricane is near your camping location, and particularly a little to the West of it, I would consider staying away.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JLorenzo77 View Post
    Okay, so I'm pretty risk-averse. Probably relates to the fact that I injured myself on a hike this spring.
    I'm not terribly excited about hiking in the rain and, potentially worse, the wind.

Hurricane, or no hurricane...your post doesn't read as if it is written by someone who wants to go on this overnight. In fact, it sounds like you have already talked yourself out of going on the trip. T

here is nothing wrong with that - If you don't want to go, you don't want to go. It doesn't make you a "wimp" or "afraid," it simply means you are not ready to take that step. You are the only one who can determine when you will be ready, but if you force it you are not going to have a great time. Ask yourself this - If you go out there and have a miserable experience will that make you less likely to go on overnights in the future?

My take is this - Your first time out should be something you look forward to. If camping in the rain is not your idea of a good time, then don't begin your backpacking career by beginning on a weekend when the weather is potentially less than desirable for you. McAfee Knob is a scenic highlight - I would want to hit that on a day when it wasn't overcast/raining/tree limbs weren't possibly trying to kill me. You are only 3.5 hours away and it sounds like you might have some flexibility to change this trip to perhaps a more optimal weekend?

I encourage you not to base your decision on "my buddies are eager to go." You need to make your decision based on what works for you.

Journal Entries

We hiked from VA311 (Catawba) to Daleville one wet weekend. It started out alright that Friday evening when we got on the trail. The next morning at McAfee's Knob, everything was fogged in. We couldn't see the valley stretched out below the bluff. Had somebody take our picture on the Knob, but it was hard to see anything, just a blob in the whiteness. Later in the day it was raining pretty good at Tinker Cliffs. We had marginally better visibility, but still poor, so we just briefly glanced at the rocks and plodded on. Reached the shelter, stripped down to nothing, and changed into dry clothes.

This little section is supposed to have great views, which we missed. If you're hoping for nice views, maybe think about holding out for nicer weather. But don't stay inside. Put on your rain gear, and go hiking somewhere else.

Journal Entries

My first camping trip ever, not back packing, just regular tent camping was the week of Christmas and it rained the entire week. Just my husband and I and a brand spanking new puppy, all of about 9 weeks old and about 8 inches long. We had the best time ever. It was also the first time I ever hiked a mountain.

I also happened to be tent camping with the family at Stone Mountain Georgia when a tornado came through. My husband and I are very big people. We had a large 3 room tent and we had 2 army cots with a queen air mattress on top of it. It was like a regular bed and both of us asleep on it and we were woke up by winds outside trying to lift the floor of tent up. We had to stand and put all of our weight against the walls to hold the tent down. The kids were outside in their own little 2 man dome tents and they had no idea anything was even happening until we yelled and woke them up to get in the car. We had to drop our tent to save all the food and things inside and we all spent the rest of the night in the bath house. Honestly, it was still a great time. The weather that day was picture perfect and the weather the next day was also perfect. Just a very rough night. We couldn't figure out why everyone else at the campground was packing up and leaving on such a great day. They were listening to the radio I guess. We are going dark that week. Had the whole place to ourselves the rest of the week. It was awesome.

With that said, if you aren't t he adventurous type and can't keep it cool when something crazy happens and see the humor or fun it, just decline and go another time. Its all about enjoying ones self, right? I mean you are required to go. You aren't getting paid to go, so if you will be nervous and miserable with worry, then its a waste of your time. Just pick another time. No biggie. Your gut is a very intelligent organ. Don't ignore it.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Tipi I love my Hilleberg as much as you love yours but it still isn't a match for a 5000 lbs tree falling lol
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Tipi I love my Hilleberg as much as you love yours but it still isn't a match for a 5000 lbs tree falling lol
    Maybe REI has their handy "Non-Squashable Tree Top Damage Protector" thingy on sale. Best way to sleep soundly is to have that attached to the tent.

Back the same year as Katrina there was another smaller Hurricane forecast to head off shore. It didn't and headed onshore and sat over Franklin NC and drowned the town. We were driving south for two weeks vacation hiking while it hit. The interstate north of the smokies closed due to slides as did several other roads. All side roads into the Nantahala NF that could be gated were and posted that anyone attempting entry would be arrested. We headed south to the Robbinsville GA area and hiked the Georgia section of the AT. A few blowdowns but that was about it. A week later we headed back up to Frankin area, the NF would not let us go into the Standing Indian area but did allow us to blue blaze from Deep Gap to the next gap north of Standing Indian. Deep Gap road was closed washed out in several places and many of the local roads used to access the AT were rutted significantly. We were slackpacking with two cars and it made for some interesting hikes. We were stopped on the road one day heading to Wayah Bald a week after the event where damage to the road was repaired from a entre house washing off the side of mountain had slid down into a ravine across the road. I expect backpackers got wet and had to deal with blowdowns but if they got in trouble and needed to head out to civilization, it would have been a multiday trip in some places. I would be worried the most about wind driven objects landing on tents and shelters. I have seen a shelter smashed to bits in the whites after a bad windstorm.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I buy my ticket and take my chances with whatever Miss Nature has planned. Plus, often the worst winds are on open balds without trees. Otherwise I study what's overhead and set up accordingly---not under dead snags. But anything can fall at any time---so we never go out?????

Saw this on a recent trip---and it's a common occurrence---tree limb spiked and buried int the ground. Who can prevent this, even in no wind?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++