WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    Where's Ben when you need him?
    I
    thought this was Ben.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I
    thought this was Ben.

he is still on his adventure.......

I think we kinda burst his bubble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hangfire View Post
    I'm pretty sure Magellan made that trek in full body armor...
    Nah, he was an aqua blazer (first to circumnavigate the earth in a boat), not a hiker.
    Last edited by gpburdelljr; 10-05-2016 at 17:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    .... dang, I guess that means the $20,000 offer was bogus....
    Not sure, just that doing the entire thing in two years, unsupported, is impossible.

Everyone is either a scholar or a comedian. But I am looking for hikers. I know the trek has been done before, but in those cases it took 7+ years. I'm talking about completing it in less than 2 years. This isn't bogus, it's the real deal. Any serious [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Cargo View Post
    Everyone is either a scholar or a comedian. But I am looking for hikers. I know the trek has been done before, but in those cases it took 7+ years. I'm talking about completing it in less than 2 years. This isn't bogus, it's the real deal. Any serious [email protected]
    Everyone is a comedian or scholar because it makes no sense.
    You said in your first post that it had never been done after your great research, and now you revise that.
    Now you say it's happening in less than 2 years, and yet you started last december and are 1700 miles in...

Quote Originally Posted by Cargo View Post
    I don't find being a "scholar" is a bad thing here, though I understand how annoying it is to be told something claimed is not true. Now you claim it has been done before but it took longer than 2 years. OK, I can buy the correction. However if you are serious, you are claiming you can perform an unsupported hike of 27.4 miles per day, every single day, for 730 days straight, not including miles to/from supply points to accomplish the goal. Thats no zero days, no days lost to weather, no days for resupply, no days lost to minor injury, no time lost in getting lost.

Thats quite a feat, especially considering you'd have to figure out how to maintain that pace over some pretty serious terrain along the way that typically grinds speed down to less than half that distance per day.

I would like to see the itinerary planned for this, given its unsupported and obtaining supplies alone would add many miles to the the overall journey. Are you planning using bicycles, beasts of burden, or hitching rides on parts of this? I don't see how else this can be done in the timeframe you claim is possible.
    Last edited by Traveler; 10-07-2016 at 08:25.

#yawningbig

Careful in Bolivia and Peru.
    Lots of armed robberies and even shootings of hikers when I was down there in '95 hiking.
    And yeah, that Darian Gap stopped me from an attempt on this around that time (along with the crime)
    Met a bicyclist who attempted it, got shot and left for dead in either Ecuador or Columbia, but survived it and gave it up.
    Not trying to burst your bubble OP, just a bit of warning for travel in that part of the world.
    Can be done I believe.
    But at 56 years old, gonna be tough.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Where did you hike in Bolivia? I haven't had a chance to do any down there, but love the country. Hoping to do some of the mountains one of these days.

Journal Entries

1. It's not a "thru hike" as there is no defined route
    2. I expect a totally repulsive amount of road walking is involved, like majority

Journal Entries
    Images

Seems like December is kinda late in the season fall, winter will be hitting you in only a few months. I can imagine hitting the meat of the Andes in winter. You better be carrying some serious gear.
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

What do you carry in those baseball bat trekking poles?

Quote Originally Posted by AfterParty View Post
    Seems like December is kinda late in the season fall, winter will be hitting you in only a few months. I can imagine hitting the meat of the Andes in winter. You better be carrying some serious gear.
    December would be Spring/summer in South America. The equivalent of starting the PCT trail north in June.

Journal Entries
    Images

Right and a few months later it will be winter in one of the biggest mountain ranges in the world. It will take longer then a few months to traverse.
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AfterParty View Post
    Right and a few months later it will be winter in one of the biggest mountain ranges in the world. It will take longer then a few months to traverse.
    Does anyone have a link to the route this lady will be following? I would assume said route avoids the Andes.

Interesting challenge, pooh-poo it all you want ye negative nillies, that being said I agree doing this in 2 years is borderline impossible.

Even upon a successful completion under the terms of the offer $20k would only partially offset the total costs. That's a $50K or more hike. MAYBE, $20 k would get some into northern Central America or Mexico... if all went well.

BTW, I know of a German who bicycled from Terra del Fuego in Argentina to Skagway Alaska on a touring bike basically in one continuous shot only taking off for two wks at one point to avoid a snowstorm. I met him in Yellowstone NP at Old Faithful Lodge on a SOBO CDT thru-hike. He was more than 2/3 of the way. I verified it by his stamped passport, pics, and other documentation that he had indeed come that far. I followed him through emails into Alaska. He had already bicycled across Australia and New Zealand.

Two other Germans on BMW motorcycles from Berlin I met in Hite Utah as I was thru-hiking the Hayduke Tr. They had shipped their bikes from Germany to Rio de Janero. They rode from there south southwest to Terra del Fuego. They then rode continuously north through South and Central America through the U.S. There projected finish was in Juneau Alaska. Last I tracked them they were in southern Alaska. There were decals from all the countries they passed through and some entrance documentation papers attached to all parts of their bikes. There were so many bags hanging off their motorcycles they looked like big piles of garbage with wheels. They were a doing a sponsored ride to address homelessness. I visited their website but don't recall the address.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++