WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default $20,000 Cargo Challenge

$20,000 CARGO CHALLENGE

“THE WORLDS GREATEST THRU-HIKE”

Hello fellow hiker/adventurers!
    My name is Cargo. I am here to share a unique and amazing opportunity for those few among us bold enough to take life to the extreme. I will be brief in my description but, when you are finished reading this, those of you whose interest I have piqued or passion I have stirred will have the means to contact me for more information.

A little more than a year ago I came upon the crazy idea to do a thru-hike of the entire Western Hemisphere, from the very bottom of South America to the very top of North America. After some research, I found absolutely no documented evidence that anyone had ever even attempted such a feat, much less completed it. The more I researched and thought about it the more excited and convinced I became that this was a very possible achievement. And not only that, but it was high time someone actually accomplished it! As most of you well know, in today’s world it becomes ever increasingly difficult to lay claim to having been the very first to genuinely achieve a certain feat. But this, by God, was just such an opportunity!

And so, last December I flew down to Ushuaia, Argentina, the southernmost city in the world, and I began my quest to be the first to complete the greatest thru-hike in the world. Unfortunately for me, 2 ˝ months and 1700 miles later I rolled my ankle and severely injured the peroneal tendon of my left foot. It has taken way too many months to recover from my injury but I am finally ready to make another attempt at what I now consider my ultimate goal in life. During my time off healing though I came to the realization that although I would love to lay claim to being the only person to ever thru-hike the entire western continent, it would make the challenge even sweeter if there were other talented hiker adventure types that I could match my skills against. Not only that, but, the more trailblazers involved, the more attention drawn and the more newsworthy the feat. Therefore, a spirit of competition was definitely in order.

So here is my $20,000 Cargo Challenge…..
    I am willing to lay out $20,000 to any man, woman or child hiker/adventurer bold enough to begin this thru-hike with me on December 19, 2016 and to award that $20,000 to the very first one to legitimately complete an unsupported continuous northbound thru-hike of the entire Western Hemisphere from Ushuaia, Argentina all the way to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska within 2 years. This thru-hike is by foot alone. No other mode of transportation is allowed.

Any one interested in my proposition or that would like more information and details concerning this challenge can contact me by email at [email protected].

It is my opinion that the individual that can lay claim to being the very first to complete this most amazing thru-hike can also lay claim to being one of the greatest thru-hikers of all time……… if not the greatest! This is your opportunity!

* Please help me in reposting this information to all hiking/backpacking related venues, forums and publications

Sorry to say, but George Meegan did that, or a similar journey depending where the Northern destination is in 1977-1983. It got a lot of attention at the time, though it took longer than the two years you are suggesting. At 15 miles per day, every single day, it would take about 3.7 years. Zero days would probably push it out to 4 years

He walked from the southern tip of South America in an unbroken walk all the way to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. He wrote a book about the epic journey called, "The Longest Walk". The walk was nearly 20,000 miles, a pretty fair bit of walking there.
    Last edited by Traveler; 10-04-2016 at 16:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Sorry to say, but George Meegan did that, or a similar journey depending where the Northern destination is in 1977-1983. It got a lot of attention at the time, though it took longer than the two years you are suggesting. At 15 miles per day, every single day, it would take about 3.7 years. Zero days would probably push it out to 4 years

He walked from the southern tip of South America in an unbroken walk all the way to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. He wrote a book about the epic journey called, "The Longest Walk". The walk was nearly 20,000 miles, a pretty fair bit of walking there.
    also National Geographic did a piece on it.
    http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/20...ngest-walk-map

Good luck on your attempts. Watch out for the Darien Gap in Panama, a very tough section to hike thru.

And IT HAS BEEN DONE BEFORE.

George Meegan did it in 1981 and it took him 7 years and about 19,000 miles. How do I know? I read his book 20 years ago. (Sorry, just saw the other posts from Traveler and Rocketsocks)---

https://www.google.com/#q=george+meegan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Meegan

A woman named Bethany Hughes is also doing this I think---

https://www.google.com/#q=bethany+hughes+backpacker

Journal Entries

Duplicate post
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-04-2016 at 16:45.

Journal Entries

Didnt put in too much research apparently.

Karl Bushby also walked Chile to Alaska, across Bering straight with intention of walking home to England before detained by Russians. He had set out to walk 36,000 miles....around the world . Book is Giant Steps.

He left...
    dude, still one hell of an accomplishment, go for it!
    And if ya need to be the first, I'll bet no one done it walkin' backwards yeah.

Isn't there a gal out doing this right now? I though an article popped up here or on FB about her hike (5 year schedule?)

Troll??????????

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Isn't there a gal out doing this right now? I though an article popped up here or on FB about her hike (5 year schedule?)
    http://www.backpacker.com/trips/adve...ina-to-alaska/

https://her-odyssey.org/about/

I'm pretty sure Magellan made that trek in full body armor...

Do we have to send a $1,000 deposit to nigeria to guarantee our spot?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    Do we have to send a $1,000 deposit to nigeria to guarantee our spot?

no....

you send it to me..........

.... dang, I guess that means the $20,000 offer was bogus....

Journal Entries
    Images

I was gonna say if buy me a couple EE quilts and a cf tarp I'm good to go let's do it.

Wham bam thank you ma'am. Ol' Cargo looks to be a one'N' done poster here.also it's October and he's asking for participants now?!?

He wants complete it in less than 2 years; I'm calling that bogus

Quote Originally Posted by Hangfire View Post
    I'm pretty sure Magellan made that trek in full body armor...
    now that's funny!

Journal Entries
    Images

Where's Ben when you need him?
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way