WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water availability?

Planning a late October hike from Dicks Creek Gap to Newfound Gap. Any feedback on the availability of water? Thanks in advance.

Images

I've heard newfound gap south to Fontana dam is dry.......

Just think---Guys with 12 lb packs just might have to carry 16 lbs extra . . . . . of water. It gratifies me for some reason.

Section Hiker

The southern half of GSMNP is very dry, got an email this week from the backcountry office that a couple of the shelters are dry--something like 20+ mile stretch. Call them and they can give you an update/details.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Journal Entries

:banana

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Just think---Guys with 12 lb packs just might have to carry 16 lbs extra . . . . . of water. It gratifies me for some reason.
    People with 12 lb packs have no problem with 16 lbs water.
    It's the ones with the heavier packs that do....

6L water and 5 days food? No problem here. Might be right at 30-31 lbs.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-06-2016 at 11:35.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Why do you care what others carry and how much it weighs. You sound as if you have just as big of an ego problem as the ultralighters.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post
    Why do you care what others carry and how much it weighs. You sound as if you have just as big of an ego problem as the ultralighters.
    Naw, I just like seeing guys who spend 12 months cyber hiking to reduce their packweights to minimus feather loads and then have to carry 16 lbs of water. It makes me laugh. Poor babies, we're in a drought. Miss Nature is screwing with their backpacking commitment and load-hauling incentives. But heck, it'll start raining again and these gram-weenies will be back out in droves.

Just my opinion on the matter. Feel free to have your own.

Oh and btw, show me a human being with no ego.

Amen, Brother.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I'm planning to be up that way in late October as well. I'm hoping some of the rain (not winds) from the storm swings over that way and drops some water. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. I was up there a few weeks ago and things were pretty dry. Sigh...

Thanks gents. Just looking for an update. I'd heard that hikers were coming into NOC dehydrated. BTW... water north....past Spivey is generally in good shape. I was at Cross mountain and low gap today and the flow rate was good.

I see some outer bands of the storm moving into that area. Hoping they get enough to make some difference.

Hi All,
    I'm planning a Oct 15 four day hike from woody gap south to the Falls parking lot. I am somewhat concerned that the listed water sources might not be available. Does anyone know the current reliability of the listed sources? What is the probability of finding additional sources, seeps and streams, along this thirty mile stretch? We are carrying Life Straws and water purification tablets and are prepared to drink what is available, if it is available.
    Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    I've heard newfound gap south to Fontana dam is dry.......
    That might be changing right now.
    http://www.raysweather.com
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I hiked from Springer to Woody Gap 2 weeks ago. No water at Woody Gap even though it is listed, can't remember if there was water between Woody Gap and Gooch Gap as I didn't need water there. There was definitely water at Gooch Mountain Shelter, Blackwell creek, the stream at mile 14.9 and Justus Creek. There is water at Hawk Mountain Shelter, but no official water between Justus Creek and Hawk Mountain Shelter. However, there was trail magic water AND an army water buffalo at Cooper Gap when I went through. Plenty of water between Hawk Mountain Shelter and Springer. Don't know about from Springer to the Falls, but I have heard that water is scarce there unless you take the Hike Inn trail; you could stop at the Hike Inn for water.

thanks a lot!

Dry everywhere in the GA area - whole state has been in draught situation since early summer.

++ New Posts ++